Cell and Gene Therapy Market: Introduction
- Cell and gene therapy has high potential to eliminate and prevent several chronic disorders as well as life-threatening disorders especially cancer, heart diseases, AIDS, cystic fibrosis, and age-related disorders. The therapy provides complete cure to patients affected with chronic disorders rather than ease of symptoms offered by other treatments.
- The gene therapy concept emerged in 1989. Since then, researchers have been attempting to leverage the potential of gene therapy for treatment of rare and genetic diseases as well as diseases for which complete cure is not available yet.
- The first gene therapy product ‘Gendicine’ was developed by Shenzhen SiBiono GeneTech Co. Ltd. in 2003. It was commercialized for the treatment of head and neck cancer in 2004. Since 2004, more than 30,000 patients in China have been treated with Gendicine. Gendicine has exhibited exemplary safety results. When gene therapy is combined with other treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy, the overall outcome outperforms other standard therapies used alone.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market
- Technological advancements in cell and gene therapy is one of the key factors projected to fuel the global cell and gene therapy market during the forecast period. Emerging technologies in cell and gene therapies, such as proprietary cell lines, gene vectors, cell expansion and separation systems, and single-use bioprocessing reactors, have become primary means by which single products have been transformed into a robust product portfolio. For example, Immunicum has offered three technological platforms i.e. gene editing, CAR-T cell expansion, and T-cell primers. These technologies allow the company to advance its series of immuno-oncology drug candidates. Immunicum has two technologies i.e. IMM-2 platform and IMM-3 platform undergoing preclinical studies for use in the treatment of different types of cancer. Immunicum is looking forward to developing an allogeneic dendritic cell in-vivo vaccine for use in the treatment of solid tumors.
- Leading players operating in the immuno-oncology field have formed around 40 partnership programs regarding high-value cell and gene therapies. Thus, development of various technological platforms across a wide range of disease indications is one of the key factors driving the global cell and gene therapy market.
- Cell and gene therapy is one of the most expensive treatments available in the world. High costs of cell and gene therapy and limited reimbursements are preventing patients from receiving treatments.
- For instance, Spark Therapeutics Inc.'s gene therapy product ‘Luxturna’ used for the treatment of retinal dystrophy is priced at US$ 850,000 per treatment. It is the world’s most expensive drug. Orchard Therapeutics’ gene therapy product ‘Strimvelis,’ which is used for the treatment of ADA-SCID is priced around US$ 648,000 per treatment.
Oncology Segment to Lead Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market
- Approval of new gene therapy products and growth potential of gene therapy have led to need for increase in the number of treatment centers in the U.S. as well as Europe. Market players, after the initial success of their gene therapies, are striving to increase the number of treatment centers to extend the access to a larger pool of patients requiring gene therapy.
- In the first year of approval of Yescarta, a drug by Gilead, i.e. in 2017, only 15 authorized cancer hospitals were operating in the U.S. By the end of December 2017, only five patients were treated with Yescarta, whereas the waiting list had more than 200 patients. In October 2018, Gilead planned to increase the number of gene therapy centers to 90. As of June 2018, around 68 treatment centers were operating in the U.S. Also, the company has launched the ‘Kite Connect’ program to provide information and assistance, including insurance benefits, throughout the Yescarta therapy process.
- A gene therapy product called Kymriah, which was approved in 2017 for use in the treatment of patients aged up to 25 years and affected with large B-cell lymphoma, has only 41 treatment centers in the U.S. This is limiting a significant number of patients in the country from receiving gene therapy as a treatment.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape, Ask for a Customized Report
Key Players Operating in Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market
Manufacturers in the global cell and gene therapy market are increasingly investing in research and development of new and innovative techniques to manufacture advanced cell and gene therapies. These players are also focused on offering highly efficient and reliable products to provide better protection from fragility. The global cell and gene therapy market is less fragmented, with the presence of a small number of regional players. Market players focus on strategic partnerships, collaborations, mergers, acquisitions, and new product launches to gain higher market share. In December 2019, Merck signed a license agreement with Promega Corp. to provide the former’s foundational CRISPR intellectual property to the latter. As per the agreement, Promega would be using Merck’s CRISPR genome-editing technology to develop research products and services, including those for drug development.
Leading companies operating in the global cell and gene therapy market are:
- Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- Amgen, Inc.
- Novartis AG
- Orchard Therapeutics Plc
- Spark Therapeutics, Inc. (A Part of Hoffmann-La Roche)
- Molmed S.P.A.
- Anges, Inc.
- Bluebird Bio, Inc.
- Human Stem Cells Institute (HSCI)
- SIBIONO Genetech Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Sunway Biotech Co., Ltd
- Uniqure N.V.
- Gensight Biologics S.A.
- Celgene Corporation (A Bristol-Myers Squibb Company)
Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market: Research Scope
Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market, by Application
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Cardiovascular Disorders
- Central Nervous System
- Orthopedic Disorders
Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market, by Therapy
- Cell Therapy
- Human Embryonic Stem Cells
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells
- Gene Therapy
- Non-viral Vectors
- Viral Vectors
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.