Bromelain Market (Source: Stem and Fruit; and Application: Food & Beverages, Healthcare & Pharmaceuticals, Cosmetics, and Other Industries) – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020-2030
Press Release :
Surge in Demand for Enzyme-based Ingredients to Drive Global Market
Research and development activities have played an imperative role in introducing new and niche food ingredients that have potential health benefits. Ongoing trends in the food & beverages sector such as increasing demand for plant-based, organic, and natural food products and ingredients are expected to gain further momentum in the upcoming years. The increasing consumer awareness pertaining to the benefits of beneficial fruit-based enzymes, including bromelain, is anticipated to play a key role in boosting the global bromelain market during the forecast period.
The increasing demand for bromelain as a dietary supplement to minimize pain and swelling, particularly of gums, sinuses, and other parts of the body post-surgery, is projected to have a strong influence on the global bromelain market during the forecast period. In addition, due to research and development, bromelain is increasingly being promoted as an ideal solution for digestive problems, cancer, osteoarthritis, and soreness of muscles. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has deemed bromelain as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) due to which, the demand continues to witness steady growth.
At the back of these factors, along with increasing consumption of clean label ingredients, the global bromelain market is expected to surpass the value of US$ 1.1 Bn by the end of 2030.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Bromelain Market
Growing Awareness Pertaining to Potential Health Benefits of Bromelain to Aid Market Growth
A number of clinical studies and research activities has revealed that bromelain offers several health benefits due to which, its demand is on the rise. Research has indicated that analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of bromelain have encouraged healthcare professionals to use bromelain to treat pain, joint stiffness, and soft-tissue swelling linked to osteoarthritis. Several reports have also suggested that bromelain exhibited high efficacy in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases, including heart attack, high blood pressure, peripheral artery disease, and stroke. Apart from these medical conditions, bromelain is used to treat burns, colitis, chronic sinusitis, and cancer. The positive effects of bromelain on diarrhea is another factor that is expected to augment the bromelain market during the assessment period. In addition, bromelain has emerged as an ideal candidate for the development of oral enzyme therapies, especially for oncology patients. Collaboration between researchers from various organizations and educational institutes is another factor that could open up new opportunities for players operating in the current bromelain market landscape.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Increasing Popularity of Pineapple Enzyme Skincare Products to Fuel Market Growth
The young population around the world is increasingly focusing on utilizing new skincare products to improve the quality of their skin. Several brands in the skincare sector such as Too Faced, Glow Recipe, Marc Jacobs, etc. are focusing on the launch of pineapple enzyme-based skincare products that include bromelain. Hence, bromelain has gradually emerged as a go-to ingredient to improve the quality of dull skin. Moreover, as bromelain exfoliates the skin and offers antimicrobial benefits, the demand from the skincare care sector is on the rise.
While the skincare sector is expected to provide a safe haven for market growth to the players involved in the current bromelain market landscape, a number of players are also expected to launch new bromelain ingredients. For instance, in October 2020, Bromeyal announced the launch of a proprietary bromelain ingredient that offers a range of health benefits.
Demand for Bromelain to Remain Steady amid COVID-19 Pandemic
The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic is anticipated to have a moderate impact on the overall growth of the global bromelain market. While the demand from the cosmetic industry could witness a slight decline due to stringent lockdown measures and closure of the retail sector, the food & beverages sector is expected to provide sizeable growth opportunities, as bromelain is largely used to tenderize red meat. Market players are projected to focus on research and development activities and address the challenges across the supply chain to gain a competitive edge.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Bromelain Market
The global bromelain market is expected to expand at a moderate CAGR of 4.5% during the assessment period. The market growth is mainly driven by increasing demand for bromelain from the food & beverages sector, high adoption of bromelain from the cosmetic sector, and growing investments in research & development. Market players should leverage opportunities across cosmetic and skincare segments to expand their market presence. The focus should remain on increasing awareness pertaining to the potential benefits of bromelain.
Bromelain Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the global bromelain market for the historical period 2018–2019 and forecast period 2020–20230, increase in usage of clean label ingredients in the food & beverages industry to drive the global bromelain market
- Bromelain is a protein-digesting enzyme mixture derived from the stem, fruit, and juice of a pineapple plant. It is used in the form of pills, tablets, and cream for oral and topical use. Bromelain is measured in gelatin digesting units (GDUs) per gram. Doses ranges from 80 mg to 400 mg per serving, two to three times daily.
Surge in Adoption of Enzymes as Biocatalysts to Drive Bromelain Market
- Biocatalyst refers to enzymes that catalyze the transformation of chemical compounds. Enzymes are highly specific and catalyze nearly all types of chemical reactions. Additionally, enzymes offer a chemical and stereo chemical selectivity, which makes them attractive alternatives to several traditional catalysts in chemical manufacturing. Biocatalysts are utilized in the production of pharmaceuticals and other fine chemicals. This, in turn, is estimated to increase the overall demand for biocatalysts.
- Bromelain is also employed as a biocatalyst with enzymatic extract from pineapple peels to produce energy interest esters. This increase in the use of enzymes as biocatalysts is anticipated to fuel the global bromelain market.
Rise in Prevalence of Chronic Diseases Propels Bromelain Market
- Change in lifestyle and dietary habits leads to diabetes, hypertension, stroke, respiratory diseases, oral diseases, obesity, arthritis, and cancer, thereby increasing the burden of chronic diseases. For instance, over half of the people in the U.S. suffer from at least one chronic disease in their lifetime. According to the WHO, the prevalence of chronic diseases is expected to rise by 57% by 2020. Chronic diseases in emerging economies is expected to rise significantly owing to rapid increase in population.
- Moreover, aging population is a factor contributing to the rise in prevalence of chronic diseases. Bromelain is an effective health supplement used in the treatment of numerous health conditions such as digestion issues, osteoarthritis, and sinusitis. Thus, an increase in prevalence of chronic diseases is likely boost the usage of medical enzymes, including bromelain, for the treatment and diagnosis of these diseases. This further drives the global bromelain market.
Side Effects of High Dose of Bromelain to Hamper Global Market
- High dosage of bromelain could cause mild side effects such as diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, and heavier than normal menstrual bleeding in some individuals. Moreover, there is not enough strong evidence about its safety when used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Bromelain could lead to side effects when coupled with antibiotics such as tetracycline or amoxicillin. Consuming bromelain with antiplatelet and anticoagulant drugs is also counterproductive, resulting in excessive bruising and bleeding. This is restraining the use of bromelain and consequently, hampering the market.
Bromelain Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players operating in the global bromelain market based on various attributes and recent developments
- The global bromelain market is highly fragmented, with the presence of a number of global as well as regional players
- Leading players operating in the global bromelain market include
- Enzybel International S.A
- Hong Mao Biochemicals Co., Ltd.
- Nanning Pangbo Bioengineering Co., Ltd.
- Guangxi Nanning Javely Biological Products Co., Ltd.
- Challenge Bioproducts Co., Ltd.
- Enzyme Development Corporation
- Xena Bio Herbals Pvt. ltd.
- Enzyme Technology (PTY) Ltd.
- Advanced Enzyme Technologies Limited
- Bio-gen Extracts Pvt. Ltd.
Bromelain Market: Key Developments
- Key players in the global bromelain market are engaged in regulatory approvals, technologically advanced products, launch of new products, and acquisition & collaborative agreements with other companies. These strategies are aimed at addressing unmet needs in the bromelain market, strengthening the product portfolio, and investing in research & development. Listed below are a few expansion strategies adopted by players operating in the global bromelain market.
- In September 2020, Enzyme Development Corporation introduced ENZECO FICIN 100, a new food-grade biocatalyst and botanical protease. Ficin is an endo-protease akin to papain and bromelain. Ficin is a natural non-GMO proteolytic biocatalyst from the latex of Ficus species (tropical fig tree). It is approved for usage in food and is ideal for clean label products.
- In April 2020, Enzybel International became a member of the Belgian Health Ingredients Group (BHIG), and its bromelain production unit in Indonesia has become GMP EU pharma certified. Enzybel Asia Pacific/PT BE are the first full vertically integrated Bromelain business in the world from production to sales. Enzybel Asia Pacific/PT BE extracts and purifies Bromelain naturally from pineapple stems, following GMP and API’s regulations.
- In 2017, Advanced Enzymes Technologies Limited acquired 100% stake in Germany-based evoxx technologies GmbH. The acquisition helped the company increase its R&D capabilities and create any desired enzyme molecules.
- The report on the global bromelain market discusses individual strategies, followed by company profiles of manufacturers of bromelain. The competition landscape section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global bromelain market.
Bromelain Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global bromelain market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators of the market during the forecast period from 2020 to 2030. The report provides revenue of the global bromelain market for the period 2018–2030, considering 2018 as the base year and 2030 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global bromelain market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after primary and secondary researches. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global bromelain market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, company presentations, sales data, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global bromelain market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global bromelain market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global bromelain market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global bromelain market. Key players operating in the global bromelain market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the global bromelain market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Bromelain Market Report
- What is the scope of growth for product companies in the global bromelain market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global bromelain market between 2020 and 2030?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global bromelain market?
- Will North America continue to be the most profitable market for bromelain?
- Which factors are anticipated to hamper the global bromelain market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global bromelain market?
A unique methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the growth of the global bromelain market and arrive at conclusions on its growth prospects. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary research sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global bromelain market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the bromelain market as primary methods.
These primary research respondents have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from the bromelain market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases enabled this report to address specific details and questions about the global bromelain market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenue of each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global bromelain more reliably and accurately.
Bromelain Market – Segmentation