Broadcast Switchers Market
Broadcast Switchers Market (Product: Production Switchers, Routing Switchers, and Master Control Switchers; Number of Ports: Less than 16 Ports, 16 to 40 Ports, 40 to 250 Ports, and More than 250 Ports; Video Resolution: High Definition, 4K, and Standard Definition; Port: Coaxial, Uncompressed IP, Compressed IP, and Others [HDMI, DVI, and VGA]; and Application: Sports Broadcasting, Studio Production, Production Trucks, News Production, Post-production, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Broadcast Switchers Market: Increasing Adoption of IP Live Production Technology to Positively Impact Growth
The demand for better quality video and audio from consumers has resulted in products and technology being upgraded at a rapid pace in recent decades. With content being produced in Ultra HD and 4K, transmission in the same format for improved quality of viewing has led to IP live production technology. This is particularly significant for Live Production, where a premium is placed on flexible and efficient system control. Players in this market are increasingly focusing on product innovation so as to replace conventional SDI-based environment with live production systems that offer system control with high efficiency. These efforts are helping to shape the further evolution of the broadcast switchers market.
For instance, in April 2019, Sony Electronics announced additions to its range of IP-based products, Live Element Orchestrator, aimed at increasing workflow efficiency and reducing system downtime. Technological advancements such as these have had a positive impact on the expansion of the broadcast switchers market, which witnessed sales of ~681 thousand units in 2018. This figure is likely to increase 1.5X to hit the 1.1 Bn units by the end of the forecast period of 2027.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Broadcast Switchers Market
Technology and Transition from Analog to Digital Broadcasting Driving Market Growth
Since it was first introduced, interest in digital broadcasting has never flagged, as more and more broadcasting is shifting from the analog to the digital format. The benefits of digital broadcasting over analog include improved quality of audio and video, ease of access for the user, and easy storage and maintenance of content for players in the market.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Countries around the world are progressive shifting from analog to digital broadcasting, and particularly in developed countries, this transition has been rather significant. To achieve this transition, countries are investing in infrastructure, which has resulted in an increased demand for broadcast switchers, as such, positively contributing to the growth of the global broadcast switchers market.
High Consumer Demand for 4K Resolution to Propel Broadcast Switchers Market
Rapidly progressing technology that has paved the way for better audio and video quality has led to the ready availability of High Definition (HD) and 4K resolutions, on the back of viewers’ and producers’ requirements for the same. HD broadcast switchers that support HD video broadcasting, which is better than SD resolution, accounted for over three-fourth of the total market share by value in 2018, which is expected to increase at a value CAGR of ~5% over the forecast period.
However, growing faster over the forecast period is the 4K resolution broadcast switchers segment, which accounted for ~US$ 54 Mn in 2018, and is expected to double by the end of 2027. The rapid growth of 4K broadcast switchers that support 4K ultra high definition can be attributed to the popularity of 4K technology, which offers higher video quality as compared to HD resolution. Conventional HD is limited to 1920 vertical columns and 1080 horizontal rows of pixels. 4K Ultra HD has a total resolution of 3,840 pixels by 2,160 pixels, which greatly enhances the quality of the picture.
North America Remains Prominent Market; APAC Emerges as Lucrative Region
North America, among the earliest adopters of new technology, including HD and 4K Ultra HD, accounted for over one-third of the volume share in the global broadcast switchers market in 2018. The region is expected to remain lucrative for players, as it will continue to hold its place at the top of the table, and reach ~415 thousand units by the end of 2027. The growth in the region is likely to be driven by the increased use of broadcast switchers in the non-broadcast segment in the foreseeable future.
However, increase in the adoption of these broadcast switchers in developed and developing countries in APAC has led to this region growing rapidly in the global broadcast switchers market. By revenue, APAC accounted for less than one-fourth of the total market share in 2018. It is anticipated to expand by a CAGR of 5.5% over the forecast period, and hit the ~US$ 550 Mn market by 2027.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Broadcast Switchers Market
Analysts’ Overview of Global Broadcast Switchers Market
According to analysts at Transparency Market Research, the global broadcast switchers market is anticipated to expand steadily at a moderate pace over the forecast period. This can be attributed to growing consumer demand for higher quality picture and sound, which has been the driving force behind the evolution of this market. As technology continues to develop at a rapid pace, manufacturers in the market focusing on product enhancement, such as Sony’s "IP Live" production solutions, are likely to witness maximum gains in the market.
Regional markets in North America and Europe are likely to remain prominent in the global broadcast switchers landscape, and coupled with APAC expanding at a rapid pace, they are projected to offer a plethora of opportunities for manufacturers looking to make inroads into these regions.
Global Broadcast Switchers Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the global broadcast switchers market for the historical period of 2017–2018 and forecast period of 2019–2027, increasing adoption of HD and UHD technologies, rising number of digital channels, and growing focus on production automation are likely to fuel the global broadcast switchers market during the forecast period.
- In terms of revenue, the global broadcast switchers market is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 2.5 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~5% throughout the forecast period.
Increasing Adoption of HD & UHD Technologies and Rising Number of Digital Channels: Key Driver
- Growing penetration of ultra-high definition (UHD) television sets has fueled the demand for high-quality audio-video content from television broadcasters. This has boosted the adoption of new and improved broadcast switchers that are capable of processing high-quality video content.
- Simultaneously, increasing penetration of HD & 4K UHD television channels and the development of 8K UHD set-top boxes are promoting the growth of digitization. This, in turn, is fueling the demand for broadcast switchers that are capable of switching among HD and UHD signals.
- In February 2018, Olympic Broadcasting Services and NHK, a Japan-based broadcaster, jointly broadcast South Korean Winter Olympics in 4K ultra HD successfully.
- Increasing demand for high-quality video content in developing economies, rising consumption of 4K/8K UHD video content in developed economies, and increasing digitization and adoption of HD & UHD television sets in developing economies are expected to drive the global broadcast switchers market during the medium and long term.
Rising Adoption of Content Delivery through Multi-screens: Latest Trend in Broadcast Switchers Market
- The global broadcast switchers market is witnessing rise in the adoption of content delivery through multi-screens. This trend is expected to have a high impact on the global market, especially the markets in developed economies, wherein, consumers are demanding simpler access to television content. This has transformed several broadcasters who currently offer content through the cloud. Cloud-based delivery enables broadcasters to offer content via web video platforms, with access though IPTV, mobile applications, and other online portals.
- For instance, the rise of streaming media service providers such as Netflix, Apple TV, Amazon, Hulu, Boxee, and Roku is challenging the traditionally maintained supremacy of television as the key entertainment hub.
- Moreover, subscription-based digital content providers (such as Spotify) and over-the-top (OTT) service providers (such as YouTube) have also acted as a catalyst for the growth of audio/video data streaming.
- Furthermore, the need for less maintenance and technological upgrades for multi-screen content distribution have encouraged various production houses to switch to these new omni platforms. Thus, the number of devices used to access digital content has greatly increased in recent years. This has expanded the array of platforms by which a user can access streamed audio and video content.
High Capital Investments in Broadcasting Equipment - Major Challenge for Broadcast Switchers Market
- Digital broadcasting equipment includes camera control units, light equipment cables, digital-audio mixers, controllers, converters, encoders, mobile video studios, on-field audio recorders, video conversion software, and switchers. All these are important for the transmission and reception of digital signals. These equipment are often available at a significantly high cost, which is a crucial factor responsible for the slowdown in the adoption of digital broadcasting, especially in developing economies, wherein, an entirely new digital set-up is required. Furthermore, the impact of high cost is higher for small- and medium-scale companies operating in the television broadcasting sector.
- Digital migration policies have put added pressure on consumers to buy a digital set-top-box and/or upgrade to digital TV sets. This is a major factor reducing digitization in sub-Saharan countries, and restraining the broadcast switchers market in developing economies.
- However, strict norms imposed by International Telecommunication Union (ITU) regarding digitization, and various government policies to promote digitization, are expected to result in a decline in the prices of broadcasting equipment during the forecast period, thereby pushing the growth of the global broadcast switchers market.
Global Broadcast Switchers Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of the providers of broadcast switchers have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies.
- Key players operating in the global broadcast switchers market are Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd., Broadcast Pix, Inc., Evertz Microsystems Ltd., FOR-A Company Ltd., Grass Valley USA, LLC, Harris Broadcast, Ikegami Electronics U.S.A. Inc., NewTek, Inc., Panasonic Corporation, Ross Video Ltd., Sony Electronics, Inc., and Utah Scientific, Inc.
Global Broadcast Switchers Market: Key Developments
Key providers of broadcast switchers, such as
- Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd.
- Grass Valley USA
- Ross Video Ltd.
- Sony Electronics, Inc.
are focusing on acquisitions and development of innovative products to offer a diversified range of products and win more number of customers. Some other key developments in the global broadcast switchers market are:
- In April 2019, Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd introduced its newly developed constellation video switcher and recorder with 8K technology. This device can act as a platform for future technological advances in 8K.
- Ross Video Ltd.'s OverDrive system is the most advanced automated production control (APC) system in the world, which has enabled clean and consistent production execution with savings in operational cost. This system offers automated as well as manual control over devices, including production switchers, video servers, graphic systems, audio mixers, robotic cameras, and routing systems.
- In 2019, Snell Ltd., which had been acquired by Grass Valley USA, LLC, introduced its multi-formation production switcher, i.e. Kula. Kula has combined capabilities of processing SD, HD, and 4K signals. This switcher uses the FormatFusion3 technology, which can be used to mix any format, thereby eliminating the need for using external conversion equipment.
- In 2018, Sony Electronics, Inc. introduced its newly developed production switcher, i.e. XVS-9000. This production switcher was manufactured to meet the requirements of 4K and IP live transmission with the choice of latest interface.
In the report on the global broadcast switchers market, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of the providers of broadcast switchers. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section of the broadcast switchers market report has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and company market share analysis of the key players operating in the global broadcast switchers market.
Broadcast Switchers Market: Scope of the Study
A new study on the global broadcast switchers market was published by Transparency Market Research (TMR). It presents detailed information of key market dynamics, including the market drivers, trends, and challenges for the global broadcast switchers market, as well as its structure. TMR’s study offers valuable information on the global broadcast switchers market in order to illustrate how the market is expected to expand during the forecast period, i.e. 2019–2027.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain analysis, supply chain analysis, and compounded annual growth rate (CAGR), are elucidated in TMR’s study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret the quantitative growth aspects of the global broadcast switchers market.
An extensive analysis of the business strategies adopted by leading market players is also featured in TMR’s study of the global broadcast switchers market. This can help readers understand the key factors responsible for the growth of the global broadcast switchers market. In this study, readers can also find specific data on avenues for the qualitative and quantitative growth of the global broadcast switchers market. This data would guide market players in making apt decisions in the near future.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Study of Global Broadcast Switchers Market
- What would be the Y-o-Y growth trend of the global broadcast switchers market from 2019 and 2027?
- What is the influence of the changing trends in technologies on the global broadcast switchers market?
- Would Asia Pacific continue to remain the most profitable regional market for providers of broadcast switchers in the next few years?
- Which factors would hinder the global broadcast switchers market during the forecast period?
- Who are the leading companies operating in the global broadcast switchers market?
A unique research methodology is utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the global broadcast switchers market and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the conclusions drawn.
Secondary research sources referred to by analysts during production of the report on the global broadcast switchers market include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and market white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who have contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the global broadcast switchers market as a primary research source.
These primary and secondary sources provided exclusive information during interviews, which served as a validation from leading players operating in the global broadcast switchers market. Access to an extensive internal repository as well as external proprietary databases allowed this report to address specific details and questions about the global broadcast switchers market with accuracy. The study also uses a top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment, and a bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in making TMR’s estimates on the future prospects of the global broadcast switchers market more reliable and accurate.
Segmentation of Global Broadcast Switchers Market
TMR’s study of the global broadcast switchers market segments the market based on product, number of ports, video resolution, port, application, and region. Changing market trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the global broadcast switchers market have been discussed in detail in the report.
Master Control Switchers
Number of Ports
Less than 16 Ports
16 to 40 Ports
40 to 250 Ports
More than 250 Ports
Others (HDMI, DVI, and VGA)
Middle East & Africa