Bone Putty Market: Introduction
- Bone putty is an optimized bone graft substitute for orthopedic, trauma, and spine surgery. The putty can be delivered directly to the bone defect without mixing or preparation. Bone putty is a combination of materials such as mineralized cancellous chips and biphasic calcium phosphate (BCP) with demineralized bone (DBM) in a resorbable carrier. The biphasic calcium phosphate consists of hydroxyapatite (HA) and beta-tricalcium phosphate (β-TCP), which are found naturally in real bone.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Bone Putty Market
- The number of orthopedic surgeries is increasing globally due to changing lifestyle, geriatric population, and increase in obesity. The prevalence of obesity was 39.8% and affected about 93.3 million of adults in the U.S. in 2016. Global estimates of degenerative joint diseases indicate that 9.6% men and 18.0% women aged above 60 have symptomatic osteoarthritis. According to expert opinions presented in the EULAR committee report, radiographic evidence of knee osteoarthritis in men and women over 65 is found in 30% of the population.
- Increase in the geriatric population is another major driver of the global bone putty market. Hypertension, obesity, diabetes, tobacco smoking, dyslipidemia, family history, and lack of physical inactivity are the key risk factors for orthopedic diseases among the geriatric population. According to the WHO, the global geriatric population is expected to increase from 524 million in 2010 to 1.5 billion by 2050. This is anticipated to drive the demand for bone putty, which, in turn, is likely to provide significant opportunities for companies operating in the global bone putty market.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Bone Putty Market Report
- Changing demographics in emerging economies, such as China, India, Brazil, and South Africa, are anticipated to provide large opportunities to medical companies. Increase in the number of orthopedic procedures has led to rise in the adoption of bone putty.
Orthopedic Surgery Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of application, the orthopedic surgery segment accounted for major market share in 2018. The segment is projected to grow at a steady pace during the forecast period. The segment is likely to be driven by rise in prevalence of orthopedic diseases.
Hospitals to Lead Global Bone Putty Market
- The hospitals segment is anticipated to capture nearly half of the revenue share and retain its status as the most lucrative end-user segment of the global bone putty market during the forecast period. Governments are extending support and funding toward increasing the number of skilled surgeons. This in turn increases the number of hospitals offering orthopedics surgeries. However, in the past few years, patients have been opting for orthopedic surgeries in ambulatory surgical centers (ASCs), as these settings enhance patient satisfaction with lower infection rates and shorter stays.
- North America, an established region in terms of hospitals and ASCs, is likely to cater to the rise in demand for orthopedic surgeries during the forecast period. Developed countries are considered hubs for 'safe' and 'effective' surgeries. This perception will create opportunities in the bone putty market in North America, followed by Europe. However, developing countries can serve as a goldmine of opportunities for investments and expansion for market players.
- Asia Pacific is likely to be a potential market for bone putty due to large geriatric patient pool and dense population. Growing medical tourism sector driven by government regulations favoring local players and relatively low surgery costs are likely to contribute to the lucrativeness of the bone putty market in the region.
- However, high cost continues to hamper the otherwise expected growth of the bone putty market in developed as well as developing countries during the forecast period. Financial lucidity of consumers has made them independent enough to spend out-of-the-pocket on their health. However, cost of these surgeries is high even after an insurance cover, which is preventing the market from realizing its full potential.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Bone Putty Market Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Bone Putty Market
Manufacturers in the global bone putty market are increasingly investing in the research & development of new and innovative techniques to manufacture bone putty. These players also focus on offering highly-efficient and reliable products to provide better protection against breakage and fragility.
The global bone putty market is moderately fragmented. Market players focus on strategic partnerships, collaborations, mergers, acquisitions, and product launches to increase market share. Leading companies operating in the global market are:
- DePuy Synthes
- Veterinary Transplant Services, Inc.
- Zimmer Biomet
- Bonalive Biomaterials Ltd.
- Wright Medical Group N.V.
- NovaBone Products
- Synergy Biomedical
- Artoss, Inc.
- Thommen Medical AG
- Abyrx, Inc.
Global Bone Putty Market: Scope
Global Bone Putty Market, by Product
- 0.5 cc
- 1.0 cc
- 2.5 cc
- 5 cc
Global Bone Putty Market, by Application
- Angular Limb Deformities
- Void Filling / Osteotomy Sites
- Comminuted Fractures, Non or Delayed Unions
- Void Filling / Extraction Sites
- Periodontal Pockets
- Bone Loss
- Mandibular Fracture Repair
- Cysts / Other Osseous Defects
Global Bone Putty Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Global Bone Putty Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.