Blister Packaging Market
Blister Packaging Market for Pharmaceutical Industry (Material: PVC, PVC/PE, and Others; Technology: Thermoforming and Cold Forming; and Application: Tablets & Capsules, Syringes, Ampoules, Medical Devices, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2021-2031
Press Release :
Pharma Companies Grow Reliable on Blister Packaging for Protection, Display
Blister packaging refers to various pre-formed plastic packaging used for several end-uses, including consumer goods, foods, and pharmaceuticals. Blister packaging has been widely adopted by the pharmaceutical industry as the packaging format to preserve and protect products from numerous external factors. Packaging is a crucial part of the drug delivery system as well as a vital element of marketing. With the expanding market, consumer demands grow and regulatory specifications develop. Thus, the dependence of pharmaceutical companies on packaging to protect and promote their products is increasing rapidly. Therefore, blister packaging is the preferred and fastest-growing packaging option for the pharma industry and is expected to further grow during the forecast period. This factor is mainly expected to drive the blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry.
Blister packaging is increasing in demand, as it offers a wide range of solutions. PVC, PCTFE, PVDC, and thermoform types of blisters are mostly used for less sensitive products, and Alu-Alu cold form blisters are used for Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) that are more sensitive. Moreover, these are the two most basic blister packaging solutions used for pharma packaging. The first comprises a clear constructed cavity that is thermoformed plastic, and the lid is composed of clear plastic or a combination of plastic, paper, and/or foil. The second type includes foil as a necessary component of both webs, and its cavity is created by cold stretching. This type provides protection and preservation of product integrity and is the most popular type in the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports Ask for a Sample
Blister Packaging Solutions to Witness Increased Demand from Pharma Companies amid COVID-19 Crisis
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic is unfortunate for various economies and their industries. Before the pandemic, businesses were progressing quickly toward their sustainability goals. Packaging companies were launching innovative technologies that were environment-friendly, reusable, and biodegradable. However, important measures to deal with the pandemic such as lockdowns, decrease in trade activities, and temporary closure of various factories and workplaces in several countries have impacted packaging companies. There will be a future need to rebalance sustainability goals that incorporate increased hygiene, normalize eCommerce, and consider product cost. The impact of the pandemic is expected to have a positive effect on the performance of the blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry, as the new trends will highlight customers’ needs across the pharmaceutical industry.
The pharmaceutical industry is increasingly working to provide medications for their consumers and severely ill patients, which requires packaging to supply products. Blister packaging is witnessing an increased demand from the pharmaceutical industry amid the pandemic. However, due to limited production regulations and affected transportation activities and logistics across the world, they are unable to fulfill the demand. The global restrictions on trade and supply chain have increased the concerns of blister packaging manufacturers regarding the availability of raw materials such as PVC, PE, PET, and aluminum. Businesses are likely to be stranded on raw material orders, owing to the logistics industry being significantly affected due to the lockdown amid the COVID-19 pandemic. This is expected to impact the blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry.
Get an idea about the offerings of our report from Report Brochure
Tablets, Capsule to Dominate Global Market in Near Future
In the pharmaceutical industry, blister packaging is mostly used to pack tablets, pills, capsules, granules, or lozenge. The name originates from the fact that every item packed in blister packing is enclosed within its own small plastic bubble, or blister. Clear plastic is used for packing the products and aluminum foils coated with adhesive bonding used in the film, which are fused to form a separate sealed package. Blister packaging helps provide a preventive safeguard for shelf-life requirements and a degree of tamper resistance. Blister packs are now being increasingly used for packing physician samples of drug products, or over-the-counter (OTC) products in pharmacies and drug stores across the world.
Pharmacy dispensing and re-packaging, which are familiar in North America, are not common in most parts of the world, thus making blister packs a popular choice. The most used products in blister packs are tablets and capsules of rigid and fixed size. They are placed into a rigid cavity and flexible lid material, which is stamped over it to complete the package. The rise in usage of blister packaging for tablets and capsules is proving to be a key factor in the growth of the blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry. Nevertheless, the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry is expected to reach US$ 8.9 Bn by 2031, expanding at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Blister Packaging Market for Pharmaceutical Industry for Performance OEM , ask for a customized report
The aluminum material used in blister packaging possesses high barrier and strength properties, and makes it highly recyclable and energy-efficient, thus allowing manufacturers to mass-produce. Moreover, the adoption rate of medicinal products packaged in the blister packaging format is increasing among the geriatric population in densely populated regions. In addition, people all over the world are becoming more dependent on medicinal drugs to protect themselves from various diseases. As medicines and drugs majorly use blister packaging solutions, an increase in dependence on these products is projected to significantly propel the blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry during the forecast period.
Blister Packaging Market for Pharmaceutical Industry: Overview
- Blister pack is a term for several types of pre-formed plastic packaging used for small consumer goods, foods, and pharmaceuticals. The primary component of a blister pack is a cavity or pocket made from a formable web, usually a thermoformed plastic. This usually has a backing of paperboard or a lidding seal of aluminum foil or plastic.
- Blister packs are useful for protecting products against external factors, such as humidity and contamination, for extended periods of time. Opaque blisters also protect light-sensitive products against UV rays.
- Blister packaging comprises PE (polyethylene), PET (polyethylene terephtalate), or PVC (polyvinyl chloride) plastic packaging. The rugged material used for blister packs makes these packs ideal for a wide range of applications such as pharmaceuticals.
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry for the historical year of 2020 and the forecast period of 2021 to 2031, rise in usage of blister packaging in the tablets & capsules packaging application segment to protect products from external environment is a key factor that is expected to boost the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry during the forecast period
- In terms of revenue, the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry is estimated to reach US$ 8.9 Bn by 2031, expanding at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period
Rise in Usage of Blister Packaging for Tablets and Capsules: Key Driver
- Currently, blister packaging is extensively employed in tablets and capsules. Blister packaging is often used to hold individual capsules within a larger carton; packaging protects the contents from contamination. The OPA/Al/PVC multilayer structure is the prominent material structure used for the production of blister packs across the globe.
- Blister packs are commonly used as a unit-dose packaging for pharmaceutical tablets, capsules, or lozenges. Blister packs can provide barrier protection for shelf life requirements, and a degree of tamper resistance.
- There exists intense competition among blister packaging manufacturers across the globe. This has led to a fall in the prices of blister packaging. The profitability margin is high due to the abundance of raw materials and cheap labor in Asia Pacific. Some South Korea-based manufacturers, such as Korea Aluminum and Lotte Aluminum, supply majority of the cold form of blister packaging in Asia Pacific.
Increase in Usage of PVC Blister Packaging
- Based on material, the PVC segment dominated the global blister packaging market for the pharmaceutical industry in 2020. Demand for PVC-based blister packaging has been increasing significantly since the past couple of years. This can be ascribed to the rise in requirement of moisture and air-resistant packaging solutions in the pharmaceutical sector. Blister packaging with barrier film lamination ensures maximum protection to the stored product from harsh environmental conditions such as water vapors, dust, and UV rays.
- Various plastic films are used in the production of blister packaging, owing to their high visibility and secure & attractive packaging
Rise in Application of Thermoforming Technology of Blister Packaging
- Accounting for more than 90% of the market share, the thermoforming technology segment continues to propel the blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry. Faster speed of production and low cost of manufacture of thermoforming technology as compared to cold forming technology are crucial factors catering to the high requirement of the technology.
- Thermoforming packaging is employed widely in the pharmaceutical industry for packaging of tablets and capsules, and other medical devices or equipment. Thermoforming technology is preferred over the cold forming technology for blister packaging, as it entails low initial tools and equipment costs. However, cold form blister packaging offers high barrier protection, product integrity, low possibility of accidental overdose, compliance with patient favoring guidelines, and generation of identifiable single doses.
Blister Packaging Market for Pharmaceutical Industry: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of providers of blister packaging have been included in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies
- Key players operating in the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry are
- Amcor Limited
- Constantia Flexibles
- WestRock Company
- RENOLIT SE
- Winpak Ltd
- Uflex Ltd
- ACG Pharmapack Pvt Ltd
- Tekni-Plex, Inc
- Carcano Antonio
- Caprihans India Limited
Blister Packaging Market for Pharmaceutical Industry: Key Developments
- Key players are making two-fold investments in research and development activities in order to make blister packaging more suitable for consumable products. For instance, Wasdell Group, a U.K.-based packaging manufacturer and supplier, has developed the world’s first plastic blister pack that is biodegradable when exposed to landfill. Another major development in the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry is highlighted below:
- In June 2019, Amcor Limited completed the acquisition of Bemis Company Inc. The combined company operates as Amcor Plc (Amcor).
- In the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry report, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of providers of blister packaging. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and company market share analysis of key players operating in the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry.
Blister Packaging Market for Pharmaceutical Industry – Scope of the Report
The latest study collated and published by Transparency Market Research (TMR) analyzes the historical and present-day scenario of the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry in order to accurately gauge its future growth. The study presents detailed information about the important growth factors, restraints, and trends that are creating a landscape for the growth of the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry so as to identify growth opportunities for market stakeholders. The report also provides insightful information about how the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry would expand during the forecast period of 2021 to 2031.
The report offers intricate dynamics about different aspects of the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry, which aids companies operating in the market in making strategic development decisions. TMR’s study also elaborates on significant changes that are highly anticipated to configure growth of the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry during the forecast period. It also includes a key indicator assessment that highlights growth prospects of the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry and estimates statistics related to growth of the market in terms of value (US$ Mn) and volume (kilo tons).
This study covers a detailed segmentation of the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry, along with key information and a competition outlook. The report mentions company profiles of players that are currently dominating the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry, wherein various development, expansion, and winning strategies practiced and implemented by leading players have been presented in detail.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Report on Blister Packaging Market for Pharmaceutical Industry
The report provides detailed information about the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry on the basis of a comprehensive research on various factors that are playing a key role in accelerating the growth potential of the global market. Information mentioned in the report answers path-breaking questions for companies that are currently operating in the market and are looking for innovative methods to create a unique benchmark in the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry, so as to help them design successful strategies and make target-driven decisions.
- Which application segment of the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry would emerge as major revenue generator during the forecast period?
- How are key market players successfully earning revenues out of advantages of blister packaging?
- What would be the Y-o-Y growth trend of the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry between 2021 and 2031?
- What are the winning imperatives of leading players operating in the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry?
- Which material segment is expected to create lucrative opportunities for the global blister packaging market during the forecast period?
- Which are leading companies operating in the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry?
Research Methodology – Blister Packaging Market for Pharmaceutical Industry
The research methodology adopted by analysts for compiling the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry report is based on detailed primary as well as secondary research. With the help of in-depth insights of the market-affiliated information that is obtained and legitimated by market-admissible sources, analysts have offered riveting observations and authentic forecasts for the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry.
During the primary research phase, analysts interviewed market stakeholders, investors, brand managers, vice presidents, and sales and marketing managers. Based on data obtained through interviews of genuine sources, analysts have emphasized the changing scenario of the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry.
For secondary research, analysts scrutinized numerous annual report publications, white papers, market association publications, and company websites to obtain the necessary understanding of the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry.
Blister Packaging Market for Pharmaceutical Industry – Segmentation
TMR’s research study assesses the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry in terms of material, technology, application, and region. This report presents extensive market dynamics and trends associated with different segments of the market and how they are influencing growth prospects for the global blister packaging market for pharmaceutical industry.