Bio-based Aromatics Market: Potential Renewable substitute
- Bio-based aromatics is an alternative to plastic, which is made from oil and petrochemical feedstock. These aromatics are majorly manufactured using lignin and sugar, which is derived from cellulose and hemicellulose. About 40 % of all chemicals are made of benzene and its products such as toluene and xylene, which are called as aromatics.
- Bio-based aromatics are majorly utilized in diverse applications including textiles, wood panels and laminates, polymers, paints & coatings, fragrance & aroma, pharmaceutical, and fine chemicals. Among these applications, paints & coatings is estimated to be the major application segment of the bio-based aromatics market.
Key drivers of bio-based aromatics market
- Rise in depletion of fossil fuel feedstock coupled with an increase in ban on polymer based products is anticipate to fuel the demand for bio-based products in the near future. Moreover, growing awareness about bio-based products among consumers is projected to fuel the bio-based aromatics market across the globe.
- Bio-based aromatics having the potential to replace the chemicals made from fossil fuels, which is a key factor boosting the bio-based aromatics market. Furthermore, shift in consumer preference toward bio-based products is offering significant opportunity to the development of technologically advanced materials across the globe. Additionally, bio-based aromatics offer increased safety and high environmental characteristics, thus boosting the market.
- These aromatics are also expected to decrease the climatic changes by reducing CO2 emission. For instance, on October 2018, Anellotech, Inc. announced that Bio-TCatTM process has the potential to reduce CO2 emission by 70% or more, as comparison to that of petroleum-derived equivalents. The process manufactures bio-based aromatics using pine wood as its raw material.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive Report Brochure here
Reduced dependence on non-renewable resources
- Bio-based aromatics have the potential to decrease the heavy dependency on crude oil. Independence from fossil fuel resources is projected to boost competitiveness and greener economic growth. Additionally, lower carbon footprint is likely to benefit the manufacturers by increasing economic stability and avoiding social crises within oil exporting countries such as GCC.
- Expansion of the market and the use of bio-based aromatics, majorly depends on various factors, which include incentives and policies formulated to raise awareness about bio-based aromatics across the globe. Moreover, other factors include the availability of biomass.
- Use of bio-based aromatics to manufacture highly sustainable products, such as bioplastics instead of bio-fuels, is estimated to offer considerable opportunity to the biobased aromatics market in the near future.
High cost of production likely to hamper the market
- Production of biobased aromatics is likely to require considerable funding to develop the machinery and processes to manufacture such products. Furthermore, a lack of large quantity of biomass required for commercialization of bio aromatics is anticipated to hamper the market in near future.
- The production of bio-based aromatics requires technologies that are extremely limited and only available in research & development laboratories
- Additionally, the establishment of bio-refinery is an expensive task. High number of bio refineries with highly advanced technologies are required to manufacture high volumes of bio-based aromatics products.
Europe is expected to hold major share of global bio-based aromatics market
- In terms of region, the global bio-based aromatics market can be split into five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- Europe is projected to be a leading consumer of bio-based aromatics. Increasing regulations on usage of fossil fuel based products coupled with rising restrictions on the use of hazardous chemicals is anticipated to propel the demand for alternatives across the region. Furthermore, Europe is home to established major manufacturers such as DowDuPont Inc, Koninklijke DSM N.V., and BASF SE that are operating in the green chemistry. This, in turn, is expected to further fuel the bio-based aromatics market.
- Europe being a developed region has a strong technological and research base; however, presently it is at a nascent stage
- Furthermore, development of the bio-based aromatics depends on availability of research centers and infrastructure, despite the presence of sufficient feedstock in cheap areas such as Asia or Latin America.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Bio-based Aromatics Market here
Key players operating in the bio-based aromatics market
The market across the globe is dominated by a few players. These players account for a major share of the global market. Key players operating in the bio-based aromatics market include
- Anellotech, Inc.
- IFP Energies nouvelles
On February 27, 2019, Anellotech Inc. and its joint venture partner IFP Energies nouvelles and Axens started production of bio-based aromatics, on a pilot scale. The company has successfully recovered highly pure bio-based paraxylene, which can further be used for the production of bio-based PET bottles.
Global Bio-based Aromatics Market: Research Scope
Global Bio-based Aromatics Market, by End-use
- Paints & Coatings
- Special chemicals
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.