Bilirubin Meters Market
Bilirubin Meters Market (Product: Transcutaneous [Hand-held] Devices and Benchtop; Age Group: Neonates and Adults; Indication: Jaundice, Hepatitis, and Others; and End User: Hospitals & Nursing Home, Clinics, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020 - 2030
Press Release :
Online Follow-up Programs Enable Convenient Monitoring of Neonates amidst COVID-19 Outbreak
The management of neonatal jaundice amidst the COVID-19 pandemic has posed unique challenges for healthcare professionals. Hence, companies in the bilirubin meters market are increasing awareness about online follow-up programs to efficiently manage neonatal jaundice, which helps to reduce the stress on the already vulnerable state of healthcare systems. Since neonatal jaundice is associated with rapid progression in newborn infants, companies in the bilirubin meters market are encouraging healthcare professionals to adopt online follow-up programs that meet requirements of remote healthcare services for individuals, owing to the rampant spread of COVID-19.
Online follow-up programs are aiding in convenient monitoring of bilirubin levels in newborns. Neonates that are at a high risk of hyperbilirubinemia are gaining the focus of doctors who are adopting telehealth services to prevent the progression of bilirubin levels in infants.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Bilirubin Meter Market
Non-invasive Devices Help in Effective Assessment of Jaundice in Neonates
Non-invasive transcutaneous bilirubin meters are gaining popularity in the healthcare landscape. As such, the revenue of transcutaneous (hand-held) devices is predicted for exponential growth in the bilirubin meters market. For instance, Koninklijke Philips N.V.- a Dutch multinational conglomerate corporation headquartered in Amsterdam, is increasing its marketing potentials to target its device BiliChek for non-invasive jaundice assessment. Innovative devices are contributing for robust growth of the bilirubin meters market, which is estimated to ~US$ 500 Mn by 2030.
Due to the high risk of hyperbilirubinemia (newborn baby jaundice) in neonates, medtech companies in the bilirubin meters market are increasing their R&D capabilities to introduce non-invasive transcutaneous bilirubin meters. Non-invasive transcutaneous bilirubin meters are helping manufacturers gain global recognition, since these devices meet modern challenges of measuring serum bilirubin levels in patients. The use of disposable plastics in order to decrease the risk of infections due to contamination associated with multiple patient devices is bolstering the credibility of manufacturers.
Technological Advancements in Devices Overcome Discrepancies in TSB Measurement
The bilirubin meters market is estimated to register a healthy CAGR of ~7% during the forecast period. However, discrepancies in measurement of total serum bilirubin (TSB) using transcutaneous bilirubin (TcB) meters is emerging as a challenge for manufacturers in the bilirubin meters market. It has been found that TcB tends to underestimate TSB in neonates and adults with low melanin and overestimates TSB in individuals with high levels of skin melanin. Hence, medtech companies are increasing their R&D muscle for technological improvements in TcB devices and addressing issues of different racial groups.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
In order to boost their credibility in the global market landscape, companies are increasing efforts to develop low-cost, point-of-care TcB devices that hold promising potentials for adoption in low- and middle-income countries. This is evident since Asia Pacific has many low- and middle-income countries and the region’s revenue is projected for exponential growth during the forecast period.
Incremental Opportunities in Online Sales Broadening Revenue Streams for Manufacturers
Product reviews and ratings are establishing transparency to validate the efficacy of bilirubin meters. For instance, medical device manufacturer, DAS Italy, is increasing awareness about its device NEO-BIL PLUS that aids in total analysis of bilirubin through a microcapillary tube. Companies in the bilirubin meters market are tapping into incremental opportunities through online sales and strengthening their supply chains to make their devices available worldwide. Innovative neonatal bilirubin meters are eliminating issues of frequent adjustments in devices.
Companies in the bilirubin meters market are increasing their production capabilities to innovate in non-invasive neonatal bilirubin meters. For instance, specialist in patient monitoring equipment Mennen Medical Ltd. is increasing efforts to increase availability of BiliCare System that aligns with the clinician’s needs in a newborn nursery, pediatrician’s office, and neonatal intensive care units (NICU). As such, non-invasive devices are gaining popularity to reduce the risk of infections in patients. Innovative non-invasive systems are streamlining the jaundice screening processes. Time efficiency of non-invasive neonatal bilirubin meters are replacing time-consuming processes of conducting blood draws in order to gain lab results.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Online follow-up programs help in remote monitoring of neonates with hyperbilirubinemia to prevent further progression of bilirubin levels in infants amidst the COVID-19 lockdown. As such, non-invasive devices are a recurring trend in the bilirubin meters market. Med-tech companies are broadening their supply chains through online sales in order to gain global recognition.
Manufacturers are taking keen interest in improving the ergonomic design of devices to ensure long-lasting performance in medical applications. However, issues such as continuous standard resetting are emerging as barriers for market growth. Hence, companies should innovate in devices that eliminate the need for reagents in order to improve clinical outcomes.
Bilirubin Meters Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the global bilirubin meters market for the historical period 2018–2019 and forecast period 2020–2030, increase in demand for effective diagnosis of neonatal jaundice is projected to drive the global bilirubin meters market during the forecast period
- According to the report, the global bilirubin meters market was valued at ~US$ 250 Mn in 2019 and is projected to reach ~US$ 500 Mn by 2030, expanding at a CAGR of ~7% from 2020 to 2030
Increase in Demand for Effective Diagnosis of Neonatal Jaundice: Key Drivers
- Neonatal jaundice is a self-limiting condition and not always harmful; however, significantly high levels of bilirubin can cause permanent brain damage called kernicterus. Thus, doctors are very keen about the diagnosis of neonatal jaundice in early stages in order to manage it appropriately.
- According to the African Journal of Primary Healthcare & Family Medicine, risk factors studied in different studies of neonatal jaundice in healthy term babies include instrumental delivery, induction of labor with oxytocin, Asian race, normal vaginal delivery, babies born via C-section, infant bruising, and heavy and frequent breastfeeding
- Newborns develop symptoms of jaundice in 2 to 3 days after birth, and it gets better without treatment in 2 week old newborns
- Bilirubinometer is utilized to calculate the level of bilirubin by analyzing how the light reflects off or is absorbed by the skin, or a blood test of a sample of blood taken from baby's heel with a needle. These treatments are recommended to reduce the risk of a rare but serious complication of newborn jaundice, called kernicterus.
- Current management of jaundice in the U.K. is guided by the NICE guideline. An infant with a rapidly rising bilirubin level, or a high serum bilirubin, needs to be treated urgently to avoid neurotoxicity.
- All the factors mentioned above are expected to drive the market during the forecast period
Rise in Demand for Portable/Handheld Diagnostic Devices Boosts Market
- Demand for potable/handheld diagnostic devices is increasing to test the bilirubin levels in newborn babies
- For instance, according to IEEE GlobalSpec, a device was developed by Rice University and qualified for the usage for testing bilirubin levels in neonates. The device, named BiliSpec RICE 360, is a handheld battery powered device.
- BiliSpec is a component of a 17-piece neonatal package called NEST (Newborn Essential Solutions and Technologies) designed specifically for hospitals in Africa
- The device is quick in testing and the result is displayed on a digital screen on the device. It indicates the level of bilirubin in the blood.
- Bilirubin in the blood is recorded regularly by the doctor. It is very painful to prick every time to withdraw blood from the baby’s heel for the test. This device is gentle in use and is pain-free, as the device causes no harm to the baby. Consequently, demand for these devices is increasing.
- Development and use of such devices are expected to drive the market during the forecast period
Reliability and Accuracy Issues of Transcutaneous Bilirubinometers across Different Ethnic Groups to Hamper Market
- Transcutaneous bilirubinometry has witnessed rapid technological advancements, and is an effective tool to assess bilirubin levels in newborns. Complete adoption of transcutaneous bilirubin (TcB) in clinical practice is still resisted by clinicians due to varying results, which depend on race, gestational age, epidemiological, and other genetic factors.
- For instance, despite JM 103, BiliChek is used with the skin pigmentation in jaundice. TcB and total serum bilirubin (TSB) are different in babies of African-American descent. Color-coded scales were rarely used for comparison, and these codes depend completely on ethnic backgrounds and race. The result in the transcutaneous bilirubinometer index (TcBI) is more reliable in lighter skin color babies than darker skin color babies.
- These factors are expected to restrain the market during the forecast period
Bilirubin Meters Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players in the global bilirubin meters market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- The bilirubin meters market is moderately fragmented, with the presence of numerous large and small players
- Major players operating in the global bilirubin meters market are:
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Koninklijke Philips N.V.
- Shenzhen Mindray Bio-Medical Electronics Co., Ltd
- Siemens Healthineers AG
- Drägerwerk AG & Co. KGaA
- Zhengzhou Dison Instrument And Meter Co., Ltd
- Mennen Medical Ltd.
- Natus Medical Incorporated
- Ningbo David Medical Device Co., Ltd
- Micro Lab Instruments, APEL Co., Ltd.
Bilirubin Meters Market: Key Developments
- On November 12, 2013, Draeger launched JM-105 jaundice meter in the U.K. The device is for non-invasive transcutaneous bilirubinometer designed to identify at-risk infants as young as 24 weeks gestational age.
- The report on the global bilirubin meters market discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of manufacturers of bilirubin analyzers and meters. The competition landscape section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global bilirubin meters market.
Bilirubin Meters Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global bilirubin meters market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators for the market during the forecast period from 2020 to 2030. The report provides the revenue of the global bilirubin meters market for the period 2018–2030, considering 2019 as the base year and 2030 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of the global bilirubin meters market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after extensive primary and secondary researches. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global bilirubin meters market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global bilirubin meters market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global bilirubin meters market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global bilirubin meters market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global bilirubin meters market. Key players operating in the global bilirubin meters market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the global bilirubin meters market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Bilirubin meters Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of companies in the global bilirubin meters market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global bilirubin meters market between 2020 and 2030?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global bilirubin meters market?
- Will North America continue to be the most profitable market for bilirubin meters providers?
- Which factors will hamper the growth of the global bilirubin meters market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global bilirubin meters market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global bilirubin meters market and arrive at conclusions on the growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global bilirubin meters market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who have contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the bilirubin meters market as primary sources.
These primary and secondary sources have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from bilirubin meters market leaders. Access to extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global bilirubin meters market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenue numbers for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global bilirubin meters market more reliably and accurately.
Bilirubin Meters Market – Segmentation
Transcutaneous (Hand-held) Devices
Hospitals & Nursing Home
Middle East & Africa