Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment Market - Robotic Care Set to Replace Traditional Surgeries
The value of the benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) treatment market will rise from ~US$ 7.7 billion in 2019 to ~US$ 12 billion in 2027, representing a steady compound annual growth rate of ~6 percent, according to the recent statistical research carried out by Transparency Market Research (TMR). The billion-dollar BPH treatment market has its substantial spurt-in-growth coming from the minimally-invasive surgical approach taken by surgeons, coupled with improving drug efficacy and potency.
The research has also uncovered the alarming rate of increase in benign prostatic hyperplasia incidences among middle-aged men, which is mostly linked with old age. Since education about the existence of BPH is low, the governments of numerous countries are undertaking initiatives towards increasing awareness about its symptoms and treatments.
North America is one step ahead in such initiatives. Health advocates and central health authorities observe September as the 'National Prostate Health Month', every year, to educate individuals about the risks associated with the prevalence of benign prostatic hyperplasia, which is inciting more number of men towards diagnosis and treatment of the disorder.
Yet another feature of the industry is the sound technological know-how of manufacturers that is leading to the introduction of patient-friendly treatment methodologies. The introduction of effective drugs to relax the muscles and ensure the ideal functioning of the prostate gland, coupled with the dawn of robotic and laser surgeries, will move the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market to a higher value.
Identify the key factors that will drive your company’s growth. Request a brochure of this report here
Challenges Ahead for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment Market Players
Loss of Exclusiveness of BPH Treatment Drugs
While product-level innovation remains a key differentiating strategy among major brands, the challenge of patent expiration is a common feature observed in the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market. BPH treatment drugs lose their exclusivity, leading to reduced market revenue, and widening of the entry passage for cost-effective generic BPH treatment drugs. This has a substantial impact on the spending on benign prostatic hyperplasia drugs, which is likely to pose a threat of high penetration of generic BPH treatment drugs.
Premium Price of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment
The high cost of benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment is leading to a reluctance among men suffering from this disorder. Since the incidence is directly linked with age, financing healthcare expenditures becomes difficult for the elderly, which affects the growth of the market.
However, effective measures taken by governments and private health insurance companies with the introduction of favorable reimbursement scenarios for BPH treatment, especially in developing countries, will provide opportunities to market participants and cushion the blow of high costs for patients. For instance, Medtronic PLC offers healthcare plans for benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment, when Transurethral Needle Ablation Therapy (TUNA) is availed. Such favorable plans can enthuse patients to opt for minimally-invasive surgeries for treating BPH, and, in turn, contribute to the market value.
Want to know more such detailed insights of “Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment Market”? Request a PDF sample here
Reducing Gap between Minimally-Invasive Surgeries and Drug Classes: Focus Area
As benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market players find themselves abreast with technological advancements, innovation becomes a routine feature. Since traditional surgeries such as transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) have limitations in operating highly enlarged prostates, robotic-assisted simple prostatectomies are gaining traction among surgeons. The advent of robotics, fast-replacing traditional prostatectomy, is a key to unlocking a new revenue stream for the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market.
In addition, the exponentially growing popularity of prostatic urethral lift devices - ClearRing and Urolift - are projected to fillip the revenue of minimally-invasive procedures for BPH treatment. However, despite the development of minimally-invasive surgeries such as laser therapies, transurethral incision of the prostate, robotic surgeries, transurethral microwave thermotherapy, and prostatic urethral lift, TMR’s research points towards the popularity of medications and drugs as a primary way to treat mild-to-moderate benign prostatic hyperplasia.
In 2019, minimally-invasive surgeries are projected to account for ~42 percent of the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market share, while drug class will hold a majority of market share, equaling to ~54 percent.
In the future, compliance with quality standards and the limited efficacy of BPH drugs are likely to reduce the wide gap present between the market share of minimally-invasive surgeries and medications.
Hospitals to Remain Widely Accepted Centers for Care
Perpetual technological advancements are instigating the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia devices with high quality and safety. With an intent to shrink the chances of side-effects, manufacturers look at the introduction of effective drugs and novel treatment modalities as strong alternatives to open surgeries, to aid surgeons in offering patient-centric care. Another key differentiator for benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment modalities is the recovery time.
In 2019, hospitals are likely to remain a crucial end user for the BPH treatment market, with a market share of ~44 percent. Being the early adopters of technologically-advanced treatment methodologies and primarily preferred care centers, the growth of benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market will be attributed to the high concentration of hospitals. However, the reluctance of patients towards longer stays at hospitals is turning beneficial for specialty clinics. Specialty clinics are projected to record a compound annual growth rate of ~7 percent during the forecast period.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
Opportunity Analysis for Market Participants
The benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market is a fairly consolidated landscape, wherein, the business efforts of Olympus, Teleflex, and Boston Scientific Corporation reflect strongly on the growth of the entire industry. Olympus enjoys a significant share of ~26% with its all-round focus, including exclusiveness of product portfolio, novel product launches for TURP procedures, and impressive geographical reach. Since the strength of a portfolio is subjected to product approval, manufacturers can focus on developing treatment devices and drugs that conform to the quality norms of central health authorities.
One aspect that manufacturers can prioritize their investments in, is research and development activities, in order to rethink the capability of their existing products. Inspiration regarding the same can be drawn from Abbott Laboratories. In February 2019, the company announced its agenda to expand its production capability in Russia. Besides the development of a strong portfolio and intent focus on R&D activities, market players can up their branding game by strengthening their marketing endeavors. Since Asia Pacific is an exponentially-growing market, business opportunities are abound for discerning manufacturers in developing countries such as China and India.
Global Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment Market: Overview
- This report analyzes the current and future scenario of the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market.
- Enlargement of the prostate is prevalent among elderly males, although its causes are not well-recognized. Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a non-cancerous rise in prostate size, which could occur due to stress on the urethra, and lead to poor urine flow. According to the National Institutes of Health, BPH impacts around 50% of men aged between 51 and 60, and up to 90% men over 80.
- Medicines assist some patients with BPH, but are ineffective for others, or can trigger side effects such as tiredness or sexual dysfunction. Alternatively, scientists have created minimally invasive processes, typically involving heat, to destroy the surplus prostate tissue.
- The global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market was valued at ~ US$ 7.4 Bn in 2018.
- The global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market is expected to reach a value of ~ US$ 12 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~ 6% during the forecast period.
- The global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market report comprises an elaborate executive summary, which includes a snapshot that provides information about various segments of the market. It also provides information and data analysis of the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market with respect to segments based on treatment, end user, and region.
- A detailed qualitative analysis of the drivers and restraints of the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market, and opportunities, have been provided in the overview section of the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market report. Additionally, the section comprises competitive matrix and company profiles with business overview to understand the competitive landscape of the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market.
- This section of the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market report also provides market attractiveness analysis by region and market share analysis by key players, thereby presenting a thorough analysis of the overall competitive scenario of the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market.
Global Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment Market: Key Segments
- In terms of treatment, the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market has been classified into drug class, minimally invasive surgeries, laser therapy, and others. The drug class segment has been categorized into alpha-blockers, 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor (5-ARIs), phosphodiesterase-5 enzyme inhibitors, and others. The minimally invasive surgeries segment is divided into transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP), transurethral incision of the prostate (TUIP), robotic surgeries, transurethral microwave thermotherapy (TUMT), prostatic urethral lift, and others. The alpha-blockers sub-segment of the drug class segment and the transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) sub-segment of the minimally invasive therapies segment are expected to dominate the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market during the forecast period.
- Based on end user, the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market has been classified into hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, specialty clinics, and others. In terms of market share, the hospitals segment is likely to dominate the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market during the forecast period.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market size and forecast for each of the segments have been provided in terms of US$ Bn for the period from 2017 to 2027, along with their respective CAGRs for the forecast period of 2019 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year.
Global Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment Market: Regional Outlook
- Geographically, the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market has been segmented into five major regions: North America (the U.S. and Canada), Europe (the U.K., Germany, France, Spain, Italy, and Rest of Europe), Asia Pacific (India, China, Japan, Australia & New Zealand, and Rest of Asia Pacific), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America), and Middle East & Africa (South Africa, GCC Countries, and Rest of Middle East & Africa).
- The market size and forecast for each of these regions and the mentioned countries/sub-regions have been provided for the period from 2017 to 2027, along with their respective CAGRs for the forecast period from 2019 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year. The research study also covers the competitive scenario in these regions.
Companies Mentioned in Report
- The report also profiles major players in the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, wavelength type, business strategies, and recent developments.
- Key companies operating in the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market include
- Allergan plc
- Astellas Pharma, Inc.
- Asahi Kasei Corporation
- Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Sanofi, Merck & Co., Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- Teleflex Incorporated
- Endo International plc
- LISA Laser
- Olympus Corporation.
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment Market - Scope of the Study
[220 Pages Report] Transparency Market Research (TMR), in its recently published research report, quantifies the growth of the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market during the forecast period of 2019-2027. This exclusive research report on the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market offers a detailed overview of the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market, uncovering significant aspects and segmentations based on numerous parameters. This comprehensive research report also talks about the research methodologies being adopted in order to estimate precise market numbers. This detailed business guide also includes relevant charts and tables, in order to enable stakeholders get an incisive outlook of the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market for the forecast period.
This statistical business report analyzes, at length, crucial insights obtained by this exclusive study. With the aid of rare and distinguished insights enumerated in this comprehensive research report, stakeholders in the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market can form business growth strategies to gain an upper hand over their competitors. Various factors accounted for the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market’s upward growth trajectory are discussed at length in this research report. Additionally, the research report identifies and explains the key drivers, threats, restraints, and opportunities present in the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market.
This broad study of the global benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market assesses the growth drivers and restraints at length. This exhaustive study of important factors can aid market players in understanding the challenges present in the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market during the forecast period of 2019-2027. The detailed research report gauges the bargaining power of buyers and suppliers, threats arising from new market entrants and substitutes, and the degree of competition present in the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market. Influence exerted on the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market by the government policies is also discussed in this research report.
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment Market - Segmentation
This comprehensive research report encompasses the technological advancements and recent trends to gain a better perspective of the growth of the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market. In order to aid market players in having a precise market approach, our analysts have bifurcated the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market into key segments - treatment, end user, and region. Key segments of the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market are as mentioned below:
Minimally Invasive Surgeries
Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Middle East & Africa
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment Market - Key Questions Answered
This comprehensive research report analyzes and answers crucial questions related to the growth of the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market during the forecast period. Some of the key questions answered in this study are as follows:
- What are the key developments and important market shifts expected to be observed in the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market during the forecast period of 2019-2027?
- What are the key strategies followed by market participants functioning in the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market?
- What are some of the important recent developments that the new market participants should look at?
- Which treatment will be the top-selling one in the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market?
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Treatment Market - Research Methodology
The research approach taken by analysts at Transparency Market Research (TMR) includes a robust methodology for obtaining key insights into the benign prostatic hyperplasia treatment market for the forecast period of 2019-2027. Interviews were conducted with important market participants, opinion leaders, vendors, distributors, and industry experts. In addition to this, a detailed secondary study of company websites, industry associations, marketing collaterals, and government statistics is carried out.