Automotive AR Head-up Display: Introduction
- Head-up display (HUD) is a projection unit that projects a brightly lit image or video onto a transparent surface. The primary function of head-up display is to eliminate the users need to shift their gaze from the road to the infotainment dashboard.
- The AR-HUD displays dashboard information at the bottom on the windscreen without blocking the driver's view and enables safe assisted driving. It also provides AR navigation information that fits the road surface and covers multiple lanes as required. For example, at a three-way intersection, the AR-HUD can offer precise navigation suggestions. The AR-HUD can also accurately mark surrounding vehicles and pedestrians in night vision/rain-fog conditions, thereby improving driving safety in poor visibility.
Key Drivers of Global Automotive AR Head-up Display Market:
- Automotive AR Head-up displays (HUDs) are a significant innovation in the field of ADAS (advanced driver assistance systems) in the automotive industry. An automotive head-up display is beneficial in maintaining the driver's attention on the road, safely conveying speed, warning signals comprising obstacle detection, intersection collision warning, lane departure warning, lane change assistance, road departure warning, rollover warning, rear impact warning, and forward-collision warning, and other critical automotive and navigation information directly on the windshield in the line of sight of the driver. All these factors propel the demand for automotive AR head-up display.
- Rising urbanization and demand for smart cities across the globe have fueled the usage of luxury vehicles across the globe, significantly, which is likely to augment the automotive AR head-up display (HUD) market during the forecast period
- Integration of advanced technologies, including light emitting diodes (LEDs) and liquid crystal displays (LCDs) that deliver bright and transparent images and data on the windshield display is increasing, owing to the development of display technology that helps vehicle manufacturers to manufacture AR head-up displays at minimum cost. This is anticipated to boost the automotive AR head-up display (HUD) market across the globe.
- Demand for connected vehicles is rising, which increases the adoption of advanced safety features including blind spot detection and pedestrian protection system that use AR head-up display for navigation and detection while driving. Introduction of new projection technologies, including micro mirror-based devices based on electromechanical systems, is expected to boost the development of brighter displays with the usage of more colors. This is anticipated to propel the automotive AR head-up display (HUD) market across the globe.
Passenger Vehicle Segment to Offer Significant Opportunities:
- Adoption of advanced technologies continues to be high for passenger cars because of the higher production and sales of passenger cars worldwide, in comparison to commercial vehicles. Moreover, increasing demand for convenience and premium features among consumers is prompting OEMs to provide such features in their vehicles. There are two major types of HUDs used in the automotive industry: windshield and combiner HUDs. Currently, windshield HUDs are widely used in passenger cars. In passenger car windshield HUD, the HUD projects light onto the interior of the car’s windshield, which reflects toward the driver, enabling the driver to view critical vehicle and environment information on the windshield.
Challenges for Global Automotive AR head-up Display Market:
- Major vehicle manufacturers shutdown their plants due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which led to a decline in vehicle production and sale. Prominent automakers, including GM, Ford, and FCA, under pressure from unions to protect employees and to follow government advisories, decided to idle their plants across the globe. Toyota, Honda, Tesla, and Nissan also announced a temporary suspension of production across the globe, which posed a major challenge for the automotive AR head-up display (HUD) market across the globe.
- Automotive AR head-up display has developed as a portable multimedia, which is likely to directly distract the driver while driving. Diversion from the voice and flashing text can cause accidents, which in turn is likely to restrain the automotive AR head-up display (HUD) market.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Automotive AR Head-up Display Market:
- Asia Pacific is home automotive AR head-up display system and components key suppliers such as Panasonic (Japan), Yazaki (Japan), and Nippon Seiki (Japan). These companies are continuously investing in research & development to innovate automotive applications. The availability of cheap labor and favorable government policies help to undertake mass production of components, which would result in the low prices of automotive AR head-up displays. Implementation of new technologies, the establishment of additional manufacturing plants, and the creation of value-added supply chain between manufacturers and material providers make Asia Pacific a highly lucrative market for automotive AR head-up display applications.
Key Players Operating in Global AR Head-up Display Market:
The global automotive AR head-up display market is highly fragmented with top manufacturers across the global market. A few of the key players operating and potential in the global automotive AR head-up display market are:
- Alps Alpine Co. Ltd.
- Continental AG
- Denso Corporation
- Garmin Ltd.
- Harman International
- LG Display Co. Ltd.
- Mitsubishi Electric
- Marelli Holdings Co. Ltd.
- Magna International Inc.
- Nvidia Corporation
- Panasonic Corporation
- Pioneer Corporation
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- Toshiba Corporation
- Texas Instruments
- Visteon Corporation
- Valeo SA
- ZF Friedrichshafen AG
Global Automotive AR Head-up Display Market: Research Scope
Global Automotive AR Head-up Display Market, by Type
- Windshield Based
- Combiner Based
Global Automotive AR Head-up Display Market, by Vehicle Type
- Passenger Vehicle
- Utility Vehicles
- Light Commercial Vehicle
- Heavy Commercial Vehicle
Global Automotive AR Head-up Display Market, by Component
- Video Generator
- Projector/Projection Unit
- Display Unit
Global Automotive AR Head-up Display Market, by Sales Channel
Global Automotive AR Head-up Display Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa