Antihypertensive Drugs Market
Antihypertensive Drugs Market (Drug: Diuretics, Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitors, Angiotensin Receptor Blockers, Beta-blockers, Vasodilators, Calcium Channel Blockers, Renin Inhibitors, Alpha-blockers, and Others; Condition: Primary Hypertension and Secondary Hypertension; Medication Type: Monotherapy, Combination Therapy, and Fixed Dose Combinations; and Distribution Channel: Retail Pharmacies, Hospital Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Rising Global Burden of Hypertension Provides Impetus for Development of New Drugs
Hypertension is a critical health condition that can lead to cardiovascular diseases, renal failure, stroke, and even death. According to the World Health Organization, 1.13 billion individuals worldwide had hypertension in 2018, of which two-third resided in low income and developing countries. Over the past decade, the global burden of hypertension has increased, primarily driven by a significant rise in population, lifestyle changes, and increase in the geriatric population worldwide. In the current scenario, hypertension is effectively controlled in less than 20% of the patients across the world, which means there is a mounting demand for antihypertensive drugs, particularly in developing regions.
Over the past few decades, a significant amount of research has been undertaken for the discovery of new, effective, and novel antihypertensive drugs. Despite significant advancements in genomics, clinical applications of these relatively recent developments in the antihypertensive drugs market landscape remain far-fetched. Drug manufacturers continue to invest significant resources toward the discovery of blockbuster antihypertensive drugs. However, to achieve this goal, stakeholders in the current antihypertensive drugs market are likely to adopt a cross-sector approach that will focus on several areas, including data, digital, population sciences, etc.
The global antihypertensive drugs market is expected to reach a market value of ~US$ 33.9 Bn by the end of 2027.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Antihypertensive Drugs Market
Adoption of Combination Therapies to Gain Significant Momentum
Research and development have taken the center stage in the current antihypertensive drugs market. Established and upcoming players in the current market landscape are increasingly focusing on the formulation of effective combination therapies. Uptake of combination therapies is a trend that is projected to gain significant momentum during the forecast period (2019-2027).
Focus on combination therapies in the antihypertensive drugs market is likely to increase to achieve therapeutic goals. Furthermore, recent guidelines related to hypertension management suggest that combination therapy, in which two or more drugs are combined, is ideal for patients that have systolic blood pressure and patients at a higher cardiovascular risk. In addition, several research activities have revealed that ~25% of patients may require a combination therapy of three antihypertensive drugs to attain the desirable outcome. Combination therapy is expected to be the most prominent medication type. The combination therapy segment of the antihypertensive drugs market is projected to reach a market value of ~ US$ 12.4 Mn and account for a market share of ~43% in 2020.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Conventionally, a higher dose of monotherapy is required. However, this approach could potentially increase the risk of side effects. These drawbacks of monotherapy have paved the way for other medication types in the global antihypertensive drugs market such as fixed dose combinations and combination therapy. With a market share of ~33%, the fixed dose combinations medication type segment is expected to hold the second-highest market share of the antihypertensive drugs market in 2020.
Companies Focus on R&D to Offer Effective Antihypertensive Drugs
Stakeholders in the global antihypertensive drug market are increasing their efforts toward the discovery of new drugs to manage high blood pressure. Research activities are focused on the discovery of new combination drugs. For instance, clinical trials have revealed that new combination therapy could revolutionize hypertension management worldwide. A team of researchers from the George Institute for Global Health tested the efficacy and safety of an innovative combination drug to deal with hypertension and elevated blood pressure. The new drug, which was declared safe after a series of clinical trials, is a combination of three drugs - amlodipine, chlorthalidone, and telmisartan. Several other drug manufacturers are focused on receiving approval from the FDA for hypertension medicine. For instance, in December 2018, Alembic Pharmaceuticals announced that the company received approval from the US FDA for a new hypertension medicine.
Hospital pharmacies are expected to be the most sought-after distribution channel. Additionally, ~44% of the total sales of antihypertensive drugs is expected to take place from hospital pharmacies in 2020. Hospital pharmacies segment is projected to generate a revenue of ~US$ 12.5 Bn in 2020.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
The global antihypertensive drugs market is projected to expand at a CAGR of ~2% during the forecast period. Despite apprehensions among drug manufacturers about the development of new antihypertensive drugs, research and activities are likely to concentrate on improving the effectiveness of combination therapies. The adoption of combination therapies will be the highest, followed by fixed dose combinations. Players operating in the antihypertensive drugs market should focus on the development of cost-effective combination therapies. North America and Europe are expected to be the major regions, in terms of innovations and new drug development, owing to high concentration of top tier market players.
Antihypertensive Drugs Market: Overview
- This report analyzes the current scenario and future prospects of the global antihypertensive drugs market. Rise in prevalence of geriatric population is expected to increase at a rapid pace in the next few years. Based on United Nations Report 2017, the geriatric population aged 60 years and above is expected to double by 2050. The number is anticipated to increase from 962 million in 2017 to 2.1 billion by 2050.
- Moreover, the geriatric patient pool in developing regions such as Latin America, Asia, and Africa is likely to increase rapidly. Age is a primary risk factor for hypertension. Prevalence of hypertension is comparatively high in the elderly population; approximately 70% of high blood pressure patients are over 60. Additionally, aging increases blood pressure, as elasticity of the arterial system is reduced. All these factors are expected to drive the antihypertensive drugs market in the next few years.
- The report provides an elaborate executive summary, which provides a snapshot of various segments of the antihypertensive drugs market. It also provides information and data analysis of the global antihypertensive drugs market with regards to segments based on therapy type, type, medication type, distribution channel, and region.
- The overview section of the report provides a detailed qualitative analysis of drivers, restraints, and opportunities that impact the global antihypertensive drugs market
- The report includes company profiles, which provide information about their business, product portfolios, and competitive landscape in the antihypertensive drugs market
- The report on the global antihypertensive drugs market offers market attractiveness analysis of regions and segments
- The last section of the report comprises quantitative and qualitative analysis on market share/position of key players operating in the global antihypertensive drugs market. It analyzes key competitive strategies adopted by major industry players, thereby presenting a thorough understanding of the competitive scenario in the global antihypertensive drugs market.
Antihypertensive Drugs Market: Key Segments
- In terms of drug, the antihypertensive drugs market has been segmented into diuretics, angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers, beta-blockers, vasodilators, calcium channel blockers, renin inhibitors, alpha-blockers, and others. The diuretics segment has been sub-segmented into thiazide diuretic, loop diuretics, and potassium-sparing diuretics. Beta-blockers segment has been sub-segmented into beta-1 selective and intrinsic sympathomimetic.
- The angiotensin receptor blockers segment held a major share of the global antihypertensive drugs market in 2018 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period
- Based on condition, the antihypertensive drugs market has been segregated into primary hypertension and secondary hypertension. The primary hypertension segment accounted for a major market share in 2018; the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period.
- In terms of medication type, the antihypertensive drugs market has been categorized into monotherapy, combination therapy, and fixed dose combinations
- Based on distribution channel, the global antihypertensive drugs market has been classified into retail pharmacies, hospital pharmacies, online pharmacies, and others. The hospital pharmacies segment of accounted for a major share of the antihypertensive drugs market in 2018.
- Market size and forecast for each of these segments have been provided from 2017 to 2027. The CAGR of respective segment has also been provided from 2019 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year.
Antihypertensive Drugs Market: Regional Outlook
- In terms of region, the global antihypertensive drugs market has been divided into North America (U.S. and Canada), Europe (U.K., Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and Rest of Europe), Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, Australia & New Zealand, and Rest of Asia Pacific), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America), and Middle East & Africa (GCC Countries, South Africa, and Rest of Middle East & Africa). Each region considered in the market has been further divided into countries/sub-regions.
- The antihypertensive drugs market report provides size and forecast for each region and country/sub-region from 2017 to 2027. The CAGR for each of these regions and countries have also been provided for the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The antihypertensive drugs market study also covers the competitive scenario in these regions.
Companies Covered in Antihypertensive Drugs Market Report
- Key players in the global antihypertensive drugs market have been profiled based on attributes such as company overview, product portfolio, financial overview, recent developments, and competitive business strategies
- Major companies profiled in the global antihypertensive drugs market report include
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Sanofi S.A.
- Novartis AG
- AstraZeneca plc
- Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH
Antihypertensive Drugs Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global antihypertensive drugs market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the said market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the antihypertensive drugs market for the period of 2017–2027, with 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the antihypertensive drugs market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involves bulk of research efforts, wherein, analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the antihypertensive drugs market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have also employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomena in the antihypertensive drugs market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the antihypertensive drugs market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the antihypertensive drugs market. The next section of the antihypertensive drugs report highlights the USPs, which include regulatory scenario, reimbursement scenario, key mergers & acquisitions, technological advancements, and key industry developments in the antihypertensive drugs market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the antihypertensive drugs market. Key players operating in the antihypertensive drugs market have been identified, and each one of them has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOTs are some of the attributes of players in the antihypertensive drugs market profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Antihypertensive Drugs Market Report
- What are the major drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- What will be the revenue share projections of key segments in the antihypertensive drugs market during the forecast period?
- Which segment is likely to lead the antihypertensive drugs market in terms of revenue by 2027?
- How mergers & acquisitions among players are widening the scope for antihypertensive drugs market?
- What are the market positions of different companies operating in the global antihypertensive drugs market?
Antihypertensive Drugs Market – Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the antihypertensive drugs market begins with an overview of the said market, followed by the scope and objectives of this study. Following this, the report provides a detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research in the antihypertensive drugs market. It is followed by market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the antihypertensive drugs market, which includes TMR analysis of market drivers, restraints, and trends affecting the growth of the antihypertensive drugs market. Furthermore, to understand the Y-o-Y trends of the antihypertensive drugs market, a Y-o-Y analysis with elaborated insights on the same has been provided. The next section of the antihypertensive drugs report highlights the USPs, which include regulatory scenario, reimbursement scenario, key mergers & acquisitions, technological advancements, and key industry developments in the global market.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into small sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
The report analyzes the antihypertensive drugs market in terms of drug, condition, medication type, distribution channel, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of them at the end of 2027 has been provided herein. Such valuable insights enable market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investments in the antihypertensive drugs market.
Antihypertensive Drugs Market – Segmentation
Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitors
Angiotensin Receptor Blockers
Calcium Channel Blockers
Fixed Dose Combinations
Middle East & Africa