Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Treatment Market: Introduction
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is also called Lou Gehrig’s disease or motor neuron disease. It distresses the nerves situated in the brain & spinal cord, which control the muscles. In this disease, the brain functions get impaired, i.e. it cannot transmit messages to the muscles, and as the muscles do not get any signals, they become weak. ALS is inherited by 5% to 10% of the population.
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis has several types of symptoms that differ from person to person, depending on the level of concern. Symptoms include weakness in the legs, feet, and ankles; inappropriate crying, laughter, and yelling; changes in cognitive behavior; muscle cramps; arm, shoulder, and tongue cramps; weakness and clumsiness; trips and falls. The disease could also cause complications such as breathing problems, sleep problems, dietary problems, and dementia.
ALS could be diagnosed by various tests such as electromyography, a nerve conduction study, magnetic resonance imaging, blood & urine tests, and muscle biopsy
North America to Dominate Global Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Treatment Market
- Prevalence of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is rising globally. In the U.S., the current incidence of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis cases is estimated to be 2 per 100,000 people. The annual prevalence is estimated to be between 4 and 6 per 100,000 people.
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is frequent among Caucasians, non-Hispanics, men, and individuals aged 60-69 years in the U.S.
- The number of ALS patients in China, Asia, is estimated to be 200,000
Pipeline Analysis of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Treatment Market
- Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. has announced the start of phase 3 clinical trials of ION363 in ALS patients with mutations in the fusion sarcoma gene (FUS)
- Cytokinetics has announced a phase 3 clinical trial of Reldesemtiv in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- InFlectis BioScience, a clinical-stage company developing innovative treatments for neuromuscular disorders using an integrated stress response (ISR) approach, received approval from the French regulator ANSM to conduct a phase 2 clinical trial in order to evaluate IFB088 initiation therapy for cord sclerosis (ALS)
- In 2021, ALS Pharma AG, a biotechnology company co-founded by Neurimune and TVM Capital Life Science, enrolled the first patient in a multicenter, placebo-controlled phase II clinical trial evaluating AP101 in patients with amyotrophic lateral cord
- Prototype of an eye-controlled electric wheelchair for ALS patients was developed in Seattle, incorporating software hardware technology that does not rely on motor function or language storage but only on eye movement function
- AMX0035 is a new drug combination developed by Justin Klee and Joshua Cohen when they were students at Brown University that is now being developed by Amylyx, based in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Key Players Operating in Global Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Treatment Market
The global amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) treatment market is fragmented, with the presence of international as well as local players. A large number of manufacturers hold major share in their respective regions. Demand for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) treatment has increased in emerging as well as developed markets due to rise in awareness about technologically advanced products. Growth strategies adopted by leading players are likely to drive the global market. Key players operating in the global amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) treatment market are listed below:
- Bay Pharma GmbH
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals
- Medilux Laboratories Pvt. Ltd.
- Merck KGaA
- Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma
- Novartis AG
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Taiwan Biotech Co., Ltd
- Unichem Laboratories
- Upsher-Smith Laboratories, LLC
Global Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Treatment Market: Research Scope
- Global Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Treatment Market, by Type
- Sporadic ALS
- Familial ALS
- Global Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Treatment Market, by Drug Class
- Global Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Treatment Market, by Route of Administration
- Global Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Retail Pharmacy
- Global Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa