Adhesion Barriers: A Key to Boost Clinical Efficacy in the Healthcare Ecosystem
With the increasing growth of the healthcare industry, healthcare organizations and professionals have shifted to value-based business models. Improving surgical outcome is taking center stage in new experience-driven business models of the industry, and postoperative care has attracted the attention of healthcare professionals.
Clinical burden on healthcare organizations has been incessantly increasing, as the risk of adhesion formation remain high across a wide range of surgical operations. Most patients that undergo abdominal, tendon, pericardial, and intrauterine surgical procedures have reported incidences of postoperative complications, especially abrasion formation.
With increasing cases of readmission due to abrasion-related complications, the need for abrasion barriers has surged in the healthcare industry. Surgical success has become a key parameter for healthcare organization to gain a competitive edge in the industry, and this has triggered the demand for adhesion barriers in a broadening range of end users in the adhesion barriers landscape.
In its latest study, Transparency Market Research (TMR) offers a 360-degree viewpoint of the adhesion barriers landscape, with exclusive information on the future growth indicators of the market. TMR’s new study can arm market players with actionable insights to make value-driven decisions in the adhesion barriers space in the coming years.
Identify the key factors that will drive your company’s growth. Request a brochure of this report here
Evolution of the Adhesion Barriers Market
The healthcare industry has evolved with the adoption of next-generation investigational devices, and postoperative care has become an equally important aspect as surgical procedures for healthcare professionals. A substantial rise in adhesion-related postoperative complications, which can cause secondary female infertility, pain, and small bowel obstruction in peritoneal surgeries, has triggered the adoption of adhesion barriers.
The adoption of adhesion barriers has increased steadily since the past few years, and the global market for adhesion barriers reached ~ US$ 1.1 billion in 2018. However, the increasing demand for adhesion barriers, bolstered by increasing postoperative risks due to adhesion, has triggered regulatory bodies to impose strict regulations and legislation for Premarket Approval (PMA). Manufacturers in the adhesion barriers market have to face lengthy approval and certification procedures, which can cause a delay for their products to reach the market.
Another factor restricting the growth of the adhesion barriers market, apart from the complex regulatory labyrinth, is that, the application of adhesion barriers is only limited to some specific surgical procedures. Adhesion barriers that are commercially available only address the need to prevent adhesions in surgical procedures, including abdominal, gynecological, neuro, and orthopedic surgeries. Nevertheless, while this is becoming a critical restraint for the growth of the adhesion barriers landscape, it also creates opportunities for market players to capture untapped opportunities in various other verticals of the medical sector.
Profits Underpinned by a Rise in the Prevalence of Gynecological Disorders
Abdominal and pelvic surgeries, such as peritoneal surgeries, are among the most commonly performed surgical procedures, owing to advancements in medical technologies and their spread across the world. However, increasing awareness about women’s health and advanced techniques to diagnose various gynecological disorders have triggered a rise in the number of gynecological surgeries that are being performed every year.
With a significantly high number of abdominal surgeries performed worldwide, the demand for adhesion barriers in this vertical has always remained high. In 2018, the application of adhesion barriers in abdominal surgeries accounted for half the revenue share of the global market. However, their adoption in gynecological surgeries is expected to witness tremendous surge in the coming years, as demand is estimated to boost market revenue by 2X in this category between 2019 and 2027.
With increasing growth of the healthcare industry, especially in developing economies in Asia Pacific (APAC), the demand for film-type adhesion barriers is expected to influence preeminent market trends in the coming years. Manufacturers are also experimenting with the formulation to launch innovative and more effective types, such as gel-type and liquid-type adhesion barriers, to move ahead of the competition in the foreseeable future.
Want to know more such detailed insights of “Adhesion Barriers market”? Request a PDF sample here
Shifting Focus on Developing Countries in APAC: A Winning Imperative
With the healthcare industry in developed regions, such as North America and Europe, has been riding on the coattails of technological advancements, it is pushing the need for adhesion barriers with higher efficacy in these regions. In 2018, North America accounted for one-third revenue share of the global market for adhesion barriers. However, the burgeoning growth of healthcare and advancements in technologies recorded in developing regions is expected to trigger a significant shift in the business strategies of leading players in this landscape.
The healthcare industry in APAC has been undergoing a conspicuous transformation, especially in high-income developing countries in the region. The region facing a burden of the increasing prevalence of lifestyle diseases, which is expected to increase with the rise of the geriatric population. Thereby, the demand for adhesion barriers is expected to surge with the rise of unmet needs in surgical therapeutics of healthcare organizations in APAC, and this will direct the upcoming strategies of stakeholders in the adhesion barriers landscape.
Adhesion Barriers Market: Competitive Landscape to Remain Highly Consolidated
The number of new entrants in the adhesion barriers market is multiplying at a rapid pace due to increasing opportunities being created in the rapidly-growing healthcare industry. However, leading players such as Sanofi and Ethicon have recorded tremendous growth to account for ~ 70% revenue share of the adhesion barriers market in 2018. These companies are capitalizing on the high penetration of their products in various applications as well as geographical areas to maintain their position in the market.
Though lucrative opportunities attract new players in the adhesion barriers market, the stringent regulatory framework creates a major barrier to entry for start-ups and small businesses. Nevertheless, emerging players are focusing on innovation to launch new products in the adhesion barriers market, and establish their position in this highly consolidated landscape. For example, in October 2018, a privately-held, U.S.-based medical device company—FzioMed, announced the launch of its new adhesion barrier gel—Oxiplex/IU®, which can be used in intrauterine surgery to avoid post-surgical adhesions.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
Authors of this report hold a positive view of the adhesion barriers market, and estimate that the market is set to grow 1.7X between 2019 and 2027. Immense potential for innovation, especially in the formulation of adhesion barriers, is underscoring the rising focus of market players on innovation, and this will highlight the most important trend in this rapidly-growing landscape. Manufacturers need to increase their focus on expanding their business in developing countries in Asia Pacific, including China and India. Growing healthcare tourism in these countries will open a new window of opportunities for stakeholders in the adhesion barriers market in the coming years.
- According to a latest report published by Transparency Market Research on the global adhesion barriers market for the historical period of 2017–2018 and forecast period from 2019 to 2027, high probability of the development of post-operative adhesion and significant rise in the adoption of adhesion barrier products among surgeons across the globe in the past few years are projected to boost the growth of the global adhesion barriers market during the forecast period
- The global adhesion barriers market is estimated to generate ~ US$ 1.2 Bn in revenue in 2019, and is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~ 7% during the forecast period.
Increase in Number of Different Types of Surgeries Across the Globe: A Key Driver
- Adhesion barriers are used to reduce abnormal internal damage after a surgery by separating the internal organs and tissues.
- These barriers are used in abdominal, cardiovascular, gynecological, orthopedic, urological, and reconstructive surgeries. More than 90% of patients who undergo abdominal surgery, especially laparotomy, tend to develop abdominal adhesion.
- Furthermore, a small number of patients who undergo laparoscopic surgery tend to develop abdominal adhesion. Indications for laparotomy commonly include gastrointestinal malignancy, benign small bowel disorders, complicated appendectomy, hysterectomy, and ectopic pregnancy. Around 10% of those with no history of abdominal surgery also develop abdominal adhesion.
- Surge in the adoption of adhesion barrier products, increase in partnerships and collaborations to enhance product availability, and rise in the prevalence of gynecological disorders across the globe are anticipated to boost the global adhesion barriers market during the forecast period.
Seprafilm Dominated the Global Adhesion Barriers Market
- Seprafilm is a bioresorbable membrane. It is indicated for use in pelvic or abdominal open surgeries to reduce postoperative adhesions. It was approved by the FDA as an adhesion barrier in 1996. The product is available in the form of a film.
- Seprafilm dominated the global adhesion barriers market in 2018, and is expected to account for the largest market share during the forecast period, as it has been clinically proven to be effective at reducing post-operative adhesion.
- Seprafilm is a well-established brand and an extensively used product for gynecological surgeries in developed countries such as Japan, Australia, and South Korea. A large share of the product is attributed to easy availability and deep penetration.
Ambulatory Surgery Centers to be the Fastest Growing End User in the Global Adhesion Barriers Market
- The hospitals segment accounted for a major share of the global adhesion barriers market in 2018. It was followed by the ambulatory surgery centers segment.
- Rise in the number of hospitals in developing countries and increase in the number of surgeries are projected to drive the hospitals segment from 2019 to 2027.
- The ambulatory surgical centers segment is anticipated to expand at a high CAGR in the adhesion barriers market during the forecast period. A report published by the International Association for Ambulatory Surgery in 2014 stated that, ambulatory surgeries helped save nearly US$ 0.6 Bn for Social Health Insurance.
- Hence, rise in the number of day surgeries performed in ambulatory surgery centers is anticipated to propel the segment in the adhesion barriers market in the near future.
North America a Prominent Adhesion Barriers Market
- North America accounted for a major share of the global adhesion barriers market in 2018, followed by Europe. Early adoption of technologically-advanced adhesion barrier products, favorable health care reimbursement policies in the U.S. and Canada, and increase in the number of surgeries in the U.S. drive the adhesion barriers market in North America.
- Europe was also an attractive market for adhesion barriers in 2018. The adhesion barriers market in Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at a faster pace than other regions during the forecast period, due to a rise in the adoption of adhesion barrier products and high number of gynecological and abdominal surgeries performed in countries such as China, India, South Korea, and Hong Kong.
Adhesion Barriers Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of the manufacturers of adhesion barriers have been provided in the report to evaluate their key product offerings, financials, business strategies, and recent developments.
- Key players operating in the global adhesion barriers market include
- Baxter International, Inc.,
- Ethicon US, LLC,
- FzioMed, Inc.,
- Integra LifeSciences Corporation,
- Anika Therapeutics, Inc.,
- and PlantTec Medical GmbH
Adhesion Barriers Market: Key Developments
Major manufacturers in the global adhesion barriers market are adopting acquisition & collaboration and new product development strategies to tap the unmet needs in post-operative surgical adhesions. Key developments in the global adhesion barriers market are:
- In October 2018, FzioMed announced the launch of Oxiplex, a new adhesion barrier product. Oxiplex is an adhesion barrier gel used during intrauterine surgery. It is CE marked and available in the European Union.
- In January 2014, Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corporation acquired the surgical sealants and adhesion barrier products of Covidien plc.
In the global adhesion barriers market report, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of the manufacturers of adhesion barriers. The ‘Competitive Landscape’ section is included in the global adhesion barriers market report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of the key players operating in the global adhesion barriers market.
Adhesion Barriers Market: Growth Prospects and Opportunity Intelligence 2019-2027
Transparency Market Research (TMR) recently published a market study on the global market for adhesion barriers. An extensive analysis of the key industry drivers, challenges, market trends, and market structure is also included in the adhesion barriers market report. The market study presents thorough information, and it elucidates how the adhesion barriers market will expand during the forecast period of 2019-2027.
Key indicators of the market growth, which include Year-on-Year (Y-o-Y) growth of the market, Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR), and value chain as well as supply chain analysis are explained in a comprehensive manner. Information featured in the study helps readers understand the growth prospects of the adhesion barriers market for the assessment period.
TMR’s study on the adhesion barriers market offers a comprehensive assessment of the popular business strategies adopted by leading stakeholders in the market, and sheds light on the imperatives for succeeding in the adhesion barriers market. In this study, readers can also find unique, yet accurate information on the growth prospects of the adhesion barriers market, to help companies in making appropriate business decisions.
Information in TMR’s study is acquired after analyzing government statistics, industry-validated data, facts, and other information about manufacturers’ strategies in the adhesion barriers market. Comprehensive information about its growth prospects has been presented in a seamless format in the report.
The study provides complete information about the adoption adhesion barriers based on channels and systems across five geographical regions—North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa. Readers can find comprehensive reasoning about the estimates on revenue share of each segment in the global adhesion barriers market in these geographical regions through the forecast period.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Adhesion Barriers Market Study
- What are the low-hanging opportunities for stakeholders in the adhesion barriers market?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the adhesion barriers market?
- What are the risks of investing in emerging markets for adhesion barriers?
- How is the changing growth prospects of the healthcare industry impacting the growth of the adhesion barriers market?
- Which factors will impede the growth of the adhesion barriers market during the forecast period?
A robust approach and unique research methodology is utilized by TMR to conduct the trend analysis for the adhesion barriers market, and reach conclusions about market size-related information. Secondary resources referred to by analysts during the production of the adhesion barriers market study include statistics from governmental organizations, white papers, trade journals, and internal and external proprietary databases.
Analysts have interviewed c-level executives and brand managers of companies in the supply chain of the adhesion barriers market, as well as investors and industry experts, who have contributed in the development of this report as a primary resource. 33% primary research was carried out with industry experts, which included CEOs, presidents, directors, chairmen, vice presidents, and chief medical officers. 42% primary research was carried out with manufacturers and suppliers of adhesion barriers, including various local players, wholesalers, suppliers, sales managers, marketing professionals, operation managers, and others. Interviews with doctors, physicians, healthcare professionals, surgeons, nurses, and researchers account for 25% of the primary research.
Exclusive information provided by primary resources and secondary resources acts as a validation from adhesion barriers market players, and makes TMR’s estimates on the future prospects of the adhesion barriers market more accurate and reliable.
Segmentation of the Adhesion Barriers Market
TMR’s study on the adhesion barriers market classifies information into five important segments-product, application, formulation, end user, and region. Market dynamics and changing trends associated with the aforementioned segments of the adhesion barriers market are featured in detail in this study.
Neuro & Orthopedic Surgeries
Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Middle East & Africa