Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market
Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market (Drug Class: First-generation Anti-psychotics, Second-generation Anti-psychotics, Benzodiazepines, and Others; Route of Administration: Oral, Intramuscular, and Others; Indication: Schizophrenia, Dementia, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Drug-induced Agitation and Aggression, Alcohol Withdrawal, and Others; End User: Hospitals & Ambulatory Surgical Centers, Psychiatric Care Facilities, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market - Profitability Lies in the Exclusiveness of Product Portfolio
The number of people suffering from dementia, as found by the World Health Organization (WHO), is estimated to reach 70 million by 2030, and exceed 105 million by 2050. The prevalence of mental health disorders and their progression at a staggering rate is being well-analyzed by government authorities and discerning investors across the world, which is leading to huge investments in the acute agitation and aggression treatment landscape.
With acute agitation and aggression being a common symptom among patients suffering from various types of mental illnesses, the healthcare industry is expending efforts towards developing effective panaceas. In 2018, the acute agitation and aggression treatment market registered a value of ~US$ 2.9 billion, and is projected to represent a compound annual growth rate of ~5 percent during 2019-2027 - finds a recently published Transparency Market Research (TMR) report.
Modern-day individuals give equal attention to mental health and physical health, given the easy access to healthcare information through online and offline channels. Intense research & development activities undertaken for the introduction of novel drugs with high efficiency and potency, coupled with numerous pipeline drugs, are projected to add new growth tangents to the acute agitation and aggression treatment market.
Looking for Customized Insights to build your business for future, ask for a sample report here
Social Stigma Associated with Mental Health: A Threat to Market Growth?
The strong social stigma attached to mental illness leads to the exclusion of affected individuals from mainstream society, and they fall victim to inequality in availing professional opportunities, which prevents them from seeking screening and treatment. In addition, social stereotypes and judgments associated with the dangerous and violent nature of individuals suffering from acute agitation and aggression, pressurize them to pose normal, which further worsens their condition. For the industry, this acts as a deterrent and reduces the chances of market players in up-taking their market share.
However, the same threat can fillip the business growth for manufacturers, if considered as an opportunity to grow in the acute agitation and aggression treatment market. Lack of education related to acute agitation and aggression is a prime challenge leading to its association with social stigma, which can be tackled by launching awareness campaigns. Drug manufacturers can capitalize on the impressive reach of social media channels to increase their brand values, and create new opportunities in the acute agitation and aggression treatment market.
To get glimpse of what our report offers, ask for a report brochure here
Psychiatric Care Facilities - The Exponentially Growing End User of the Market
Marketing campaigns, as initiated by private companies, and increase in general awareness, as undertaken by central health authorities, regarding acute agitation and aggression treatment, are likely to surge the number of end users in the industry. Currently, hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, and psychiatric care facilities, among others, account for the massive adoption of drugs and treatment procedures. However, hospital and ambulatory surgical centers show a striking RoI potential with their high concentration in developed countries and even in remote areas of developing countries. Since patients with acute agitation and aggression disorder require immediate attention and care, to further avoid the condition from worsening, intensive care units and emergency departments of hospitals are gaining high traction.
In 2018, hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers collectively accounted for ~45% of the market share, with the growth in the number of individuals seeking screening and treatment for acute agitation and aggression disorder. However, once held back on account of the dearth of skilled psychiatrists, psychiatric care facilities are witnessing exponential improvement in the number of skilled medical personnel as well as patients demanding consultations for acute agitation and aggression treatment. This is likely to stimulate the popularity of psychiatric care facilities, which are projected to record a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period.
To get a bird’s eye view of Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market ’s forecasts, ask for a Custom Report
Acute Agitation and Aggression to Remain a Crucial Indicator for Schizophrenia
TMR’s study finds that, the number of individuals seeking medical help for schizophrenia is relatively higher than other disorders, including dementia, bipolar disorder, and depression. According to the report data, the sales of drugs for the treatment of schizophrenia will rise from ~US$ 600 million in 2019 to ~US$ 910 million in 2027, representing a CAGR of ~5 percent during the forecast period.
Delusions, hallucinations, and disorganized speech are some of the symptoms that schizophrenic individuals suffer from, which leads to lack of clarity and indecisiveness, and makes treatment unavoidable. However, an alarming rise in the number of patients suffering from dementia is also likely to strengthen the demand for effective treatment. In 2019, global spending on the treatment of dementia will account ~US$ 530 million, and is likely to proliferate at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period.
Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market: Opportunity Analysis for Market Players
As awareness about the condition and its long-term effect increases, there has been an exponential growth in the number of patients receiving medical help for acute agitation and aggression, which has intensified the competitiveness of the landscape. In order to stay ahead of the curve, market players make heavy investments in research & development activities to increase the exclusiveness of their product portfolios, and Ono Pharmaceuticals Co., Ltd has implemented the same strategy. The company inaugurated a new research center for strengthening its development and manufacturing capabilities of novel drugs for the treatment of mental illnesses.
Additionally, in order to introduce novel treatments, research activities on lithium, cannabinoids, analgesics, narcotics, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, as well as newer antiepileptic drugs are ongoing at a significant pace. For instance, BXCL501, developed by BioXel Technologies, for the treatment of acute agitation and aggression condition, indicating schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and geriatric dementia, is a pipeline drug. Another player, H. Lundbeck A/S, accounts for the development of Rexulti, a pipeline drug for the treatment of agitation, indicating dementia.
Since drugs consumed for acute agitation and aggression treatment require a prescription, manufactures can zoom-in their focus on partnerships and collaborations with hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, and psychiatric care facilities, in order to ensure the long-term supply of drugs. As the Asia Pacific acute agitation and aggression treatment market is catching up with the exponential growth pace of North America, manufacturers can devise a cost-competitive strategy to penetrate into cost-sensitive markets. All-in-all, drug manufacturers can look at steady growth of the acute agitation and aggression treatment market during the forecast period.
Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment: Overview
Agitation can be defined as excessive motor or verbal behavior, which can escalate to aggression. Physical agitation and aggression manifest in the form of throwing objects toward people, and verbal agitation and aggression manifest as abuses and threats. Acute agitation and aggression is one of the common symptoms in various mental illnesses, including schizophrenia, dementia, bipolar disorder, alcohol withdrawal, and depression.
Significant Drug Pipeline to Contribute to Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market Growth
- The global acute agitation and aggression treatment market was valued at ~ US$ 2.9 Bn in 2018, and is projected to reach ~ US$ 4.4 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~ 5% from 2019 to 2027
- Significant pipeline of drugs for acute agitation and aggression treatment in various psychological illnesses, including schizophrenia and dementia, contribute to the growth of the acute agitation and aggression treatment market. For instance, Avanir Pharmaceuticals’ AVP-786 in phase III studies is being tested for the treatment of moderate to severe agitation in Alzheimer's dementia patients.
- Similarly, BioXcel Therapeutic’s pipeline product, BXCL501, is in phase III studies for the treatment of acute agitation in schizophrenia and bipolar disease, and acute agitation in geriatric dementia
- Furthermore, OPC-34712 and Rexulti being developed by Otsuka Holdings, Co. Ltd. and H. Lundbeck A/S, respectively, are in phase III studies for the treatment of agitation in dementia of the Alzheimer’s type
Increase in Prescription of Anti-psychotics to Propel Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market
- In terms of drug class, the second-generation anti-psychotics segment is expected to grow at a rapid pace in the acute agitation and aggression treatment market during the forecast period. Second-generation anti-psychotics, also known as atypical anti-psychotics, are a group of anti-psychotics used in the treatment of psychiatric conditions. These are also known as dopamine-serotonin antagonists. This group of drugs acts by blocking the receptors in the brain’s dopamine pathways.
- Growth of the segment can be attributed to increase in prescriptions of the drugs in this drug class for the treatment of acute agitation and aggression associated with various psychological illnesses
- Additionally, second-generation anti-psychotics have lower risk of tardive dyskinesia and extrapyramidal side effects. Moreover, these cause less severe neuromuscular side effects and fewer sexual side effects as compared to first-generation anti-psychotics.
Rise in Prevalence of Acute Agitation & Aggression Associated with Psychological Illnesses Drives Demand for Treatment
- The global prevalence of mental or neuropsychological disorders has been increasing in the past few years. According to the WHO, over 450 million people, globally, suffer from such conditions, making mental illness one of the leading causes of ill-health and disability.
- Major mental illnesses include schizophrenia, dementia, bipolar disorder, depression, and other psychoses. Depression is a one of the most common mental disorders affecting an estimated 300 million people, globally. Similarly, bipolar disorder affects over 60 million people across the world. Furthermore, schizophrenia and dementia are reported in over 23 million and 50 million people, respectively. Among these, acute agitation and aggression are the commonly observed behavioral disorders. The overall prevalence of agitation is around 12% in patients with schizophrenia or mood disorders, 25% in alcoholics, 35% in dementia patients, 35% in substance abuse patients, and over 25% in anxiety disorder patients.
- Furthermore, schizophrenia presents a significant burden on the society as it is one of the chronic and costly mental illnesses. An article published by the National Institute of Mental Health stated that, over 30% of schizophrenia costs, which account for over US$ 19 Bn, involve direct treatment.
North America to Capture Leading Share in the Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market
- The report offers detailed segmentation of the global acute agitation and aggression treatment market based on drug class, route of administration, indication, end user, and region. In terms of drug class, the global acute agitation and aggression treatment market has been classified into first-generation anti-psychotics, second-generation anti-psychotics, benzodiazepines, and others.
- Based on indication, the global acute agitation and aggression treatment market has been categorized into schizophrenia, dementia, bipolar disorder, depression, drug-induced agitation and aggression, alcohol withdrawal, and others. In terms of end user, the global acute agitation and aggression treatment market has been divided into hospitals & ambulatory surgical centers, psychiatric care facilities, and others.
- Geographically, the global acute agitation and aggression treatment market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa.
- North America is projected to hold a prominent share in the acute agitation and aggression treatment market throughout the forecast period.
Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market: Companies Profiled
The report provides profiles of the leading players operating in the global acute agitation and aggression treatment market. These include -
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Ono Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Janssen Biotech, Inc. (Johnson & Johnson)
- H. Lundbeck A/S
Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market - Scope of the Study
[245 Pages Report] Transparency Market Research (TMR) conducted a comprehensive assessment regarding the growth potential of the acute agitation and aggression treatment market, in its latest research report, for the forecast period of 2019-2027. The research report consists of some distinguished insights for stakeholders for them to sustain their position and move to a higher market share. This exclusive research report is intended at providing rare and distinguished insights pertaining to the growth of the acute agitation and aggression treatment market, and offers information regarding the growth opportunities for market players. With the help of the insights mentioned in the research report, stakeholders in the acute agitation and aggression treatment market will be able to gain a brief outlook on its growth trajectory, which can help them in making well-informed strategies for their business growth.
The comprehensive business study analyzes and discusses Porter’s Five Forces, with a latent aim to provide the key growth strategies available in the acute agitation and aggression treatment market during the forecast period. This comprehensive guide provides key insights regarding the competition present in the acute agitation and aggression treatment market by identifying key competitors. This exclusive research report also offers information about the key strategies, financials, and notable developments of the acute agitation and aggression treatment market during the forecast period of 2019-2027. The acute agitation and aggression treatment market assessment has been conducted in terms of value (US$ Mn).
Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market - Key Questions Answered
This comprehensive research report analyzes and answers key questions concerning the growth of the acute agitation and aggression treatment market for the forecast period of 2019-2027. Some of the key questions answered in this research report are:
- What are the recent developments and key market shifts expected to be witnessed in the acute agitation and aggression treatment market during the forecast period?
- What are the key winning imperatives for leading and prominent players operating in the acute agitation and aggression treatment market?
- What are the key trends propelling the growth of the acute agitation and aggression treatment market?
- Which end user will exert a strong influence on the acute agitation and aggression treatment market?
Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market - Research Methodology
The research undertaken by Transparency Market Research (TMR) analysts consists of a robust approach in order to cull key insights regarding the growth of the acute agitation and aggression market for the forecast period of 2019-2027. Interviews as well as discussions with leading opinion leaders, market heads, vendors, distributors, industry experts, and key players were carried out in order to conduct primary research. In addition to this, our analysts also conducted a thorough secondary study of marketing collaterals, industry associations, company websites, and government statistics.
Acute Agitation and Aggression Treatment Market - Segmentation
In order to offer a microscopic as well as macroscopic view of the acute agitation and aggression treatment market, analysts and researchers of this research report have segregated the acute agitation and aggression treatment market on the basis of drug class, route of administration, end user, indication, and region. This exclusive business study also analyzes the incremental opportunity present in the acute agitation and aggression treatment market during the forecast period. Key segments of the acute agitation and aggression treatment market are as mentioned below:
Route of Administration
Drug-induced Agitation and Aggression
Hospitals and Ambulatory Centers
Psychiatric Care Facilities
Middle East and Africa