Zika Virus Disease: Introduction
- Zika virus disease is caused by a virus transmitted primarily by Aedes mosquitoes, which bite during the day. It is also transmitted through sexual contact with an infected person or through an infected pregnant woman to the fetus.
- Symptoms include fever, conjunctivitis, rash, muscle & joint pain, and headache. Symptoms typically last for two to seven days. Most people with Zika virus infection do not develop symptoms.
- Zika virus infection during pregnancy can cause infants to be born with microcephaly and other congenital malformations known as congenital Zika syndrome. Zika virus infection in pregnant women also causes preterm birth and miscarriage.
- Currently, there is no approved-vaccine for treatment for Zika virus. However, major pharmaceutical companies are engaged in the design and development of new vaccines for Zika virus infection. The vaccines will be therapeutic or preventive.
Key Drivers of Global Zika Virus Vaccine Market
- Increase in incidence of Zika virus disease in countries such as Brazil, Columbia, and Venezuela is projected to boost the growth of the global Zika virus vaccine market. According to the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Brazil reported 19,020 cases of ZIKV disease in 2018. Of these, 1,379 were laboratory confirmed.
- Rise in investment in research & development by major pharmaceutical companies for developing new vaccines is anticipated to fuel the growth of the global market. Additionally, rise in awareness programs and collaboration study for vaccine development with the World Health Organization drives the market. For instance, in 2018–2019, the WHO in collaboration with a working group of independent subject matter experts developed Preferred Product Characteristics (PPC) for a Zika virus vaccine for endemic use.
- Strong product pipeline for Zika virus disease is expected to boost the growth of the global market during the forecast period. Candidates comprise DNA vaccines such as the National Institutes of Health's Zika Virus Vaccine, Inovio's INO-A002, and GeneOne's GLS-5700; Themis Bioscience's recombinant viral vector vaccine; Moderna's mRNA vaccine; Emergent BioSolutions' ZIKV-IG; and Takeda's TAK-426 vaccine.
Preventive Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- In terms of application, the global Zika virus vaccine market can be bifurcated into therapeutic and preventive
- The preventive segment accounted for the largest share of the global Zika virus vaccine market in 2019. Increase in usage of Zika virus vaccine for prevention is likely to propel the segment during the forecast period.
Hospitals to be Most Promising Segment
- Based on end-user, the global Zika virus vaccine market can be classified into hospitals, clinics, research centers, and others
- The hospitals segment accounted for the largest share of the global market in terms of revenue in 2019 and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period. Increase in patients with Zika virus disease will require hospital visit. Moreover, early availability of new products in hospitals is anticipated to fuel the growth of the segment.
Latin America to Dominate Global Zika Virus Vaccine Market
- In terms of region, the global Zika virus vaccine market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Latin America dominated the global Zika virus vaccine market in 2019 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. The region’s dominance can be attributed to increase in people with Zika virus disease in countries such as Brazil, Bolivia, and Peru, and presence of major players. According to PAHO, countries in Latin America such as Bolivia (1,736), Peru (984), and Colombia (857) reported Zika virus cases in 2018.
- The Zika virus vaccine market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to increase in adoption of new products and rise in patients with Zika virus disease.
Key Players Operating in Global Zika Virus Vaccine Market
The global Zika virus vaccine market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key players operating in the global market are:
- GeneOne Life Science, Inc.
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd.
- Immunovaccine, Inc.
- Emergent BioSolutions, Inc.
- Moderna, Inc.
- Themis Bioscience GmbH
Global Zika Virus Vaccine Market: Research Scope
- Zika Virus Vaccine Market, by Application
Global Zika Virus Vaccine Market, by End-users
- Research Centers
Global Zika Virus Vaccine Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.