Global Xerostomia Treatment Market: Introduction
- Xerostomia is a condition resulting in dry mouth caused by the minimal amount or absence of saliva in the mouth. Xerostomia is not contemplated to be a disease, but is considered a symptom. Xerostomia can be caused due to radiation of the head or the neck, or as a side-effect of medications. Apart from the underlying disease as a cause, other causes for this condition exist. These include insufficient consumption of fluids, sleeping with open mouth, and weather conditions. Decreasing function of the salivary gland may or may not be the reason for development of xerostomia. This condition is most common in elderly people, due to high consumption of medications by them. It affects around 20% of the elderly people worldwide.
- Xerostomia involves difficulty in eating, speaking, swallowing, and in wearing dentures. A dew patient suffering from this condition also experience dysgeusia, glossodynia, and other dental complications. In order to determine the function of the salivary gland, several diagnostic and imaging tests such as sialometry, salivary flow measurement, and sialography are recommended. If the salivary flow rate is less than 0.1 Ml/minute, the condition is considered xerostomia.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Xerostomia Treatment Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Xerostomia Treatment Market
- Increase in the incidence of Sjogren’s syndrome and rising consumption of medications are major factors driving the global xerostomia treatment market. Moreover, growing geriatric population across the globe, increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, and rising awareness about the diagnosis of xerostomia are projected to propel the global market during the forecast period. Increase in the prevalence of diseases such as cancer, HIV, and Sjogren’s syndrome drives the demand for radiation and chemotherapy. Xerostomia is a side effect of these treatments. Chemotherapy makes saliva thicker, which results in dry mouth. However, it affects for a short period of 2–8 weeks.
- There exist certain challenges in the diagnosis of xerostomia, especially in developing counties. Moreover, ineffective treatment of xerostomia coupled with less attention toward symptoms by patients are a few other factors likely to restrain the global xerostomia treatment market in the next few years.
- As per the American Dental Association, the rate of prevalence of xerostomia in general population ranges from 0.9% to 64.8%, although the accuracy is compromised due to limited data. Severance of dry mouth results in deterioration of the patient’s health and quality of life. It often causes oral discomfort. As per the Association, the prevalence of xerostomia is considered 100% in patients with Sjogren’s syndrome or patients who have undergone the radiation therapy for head and neck cancer. As per updated research by the American College of Rheumatology, in 2019, Sjogren’s syndrome affected around 400,000 to 3.1 million adults globally. It was mostly diagnosed in people aged between 45 and 55 years.
North America to Lead Global Xerostomia Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global xerostomia treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global market in 2018 and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period. This is attributable to increase in the incidence of xerostomia led by rising prevalence of chronic diseases such as cancer, HIV, and Sjogren’s syndrome. Rising consumption of medications and growing geriatric population including aging baby boomers in the region are other factors driving the xerostomia treatment market in North America. Rise in awareness about causes and symptoms of xerostomia, surge in health care expenditure, increase in the rate of diagnosis of the syndrome, and availability of advanced health care facilities in the region are also anticipated to boost the xerostomia treatment market in North America in the near future.
- Europe held the second-largest share of the global xerostomia treatment market in 2018. Growing prevalence of chronic diseases, increasing geriatric population, and rising awareness about xerostomia symptoms and its treatment are some of the factors fueling the market in the region. Asia Pacific is projected to be the most rapidly expanding market for xerostomia treatment during the forecast period, owing to increase in the diagnosis of xerostomia and rising geriatric population in the region.
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Xerostomia Treatment Market, Request for a Sample
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Xerostomia Treatment Market
The global xerostomia treatment market is consolidated, with only a small number of players offering treatments for xerostomia. Key players offering xerostomia treatments are:
- Eisai Co., Ltd
- EUSA Pharma
- Colgate-Palmolive Company
- Forward Science
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Mission Pharmacal Company
- OraHealth Inc. (OraCoat.com)
- OraPharma, Inc. (Bausch Health Companies Inc. or its affiliates)
- Parnell Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Saliwell Ltd
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
Global Xerostomia Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Xerostomia Treatment Market, by Product
- Artificial Saliva
- Salivary Stimulants
- Saliva Substitutes
- Salivary Pens
Global Xerostomia Treatment Market, by Indication
- Sjogren’s Syndrome
Global Xerostomia Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Xerostomia Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.