Transthyretin Amyloidosis Treatment: Introduction
- Transthyretin amyloidosis is a rare progressive fatal disease that destroys the nerve cells controlling various bodily functions. The symptoms of the disease are similar to those of many other diseases. Moreover, patients suffering with the condition die 10 years after the onset of symptoms. Therefore, timely symptom identification, diagnosis, and treatment is important.
- Transthyretin amyloidosis is caused due to the misfolding of the transthyretin (TTR) protein, which is a secondary transporter of thyroxine and retinol-binding protein. The misfolding causes protein depositions, known as amyloids, to form within tissues and organs.
- There are three types of transthyretin amyloidosis. In familial amyloid polyneuropathy (TTR-FAP), amyloids lead to damage of the nerves that control the senses, movement, and involuntary bodily functions. The second type is transthyretin amyloidosis cardiomyopathy (TTR-CM), which leads to cardiomyopathy. It causes damage to the heart’s muscles, inhibiting the ability to pump blood throughout the body. The third type is senile systemic amyloidosis (SSA), which is more prevalent in men than women.
Key Drivers of Global Transthyretin Amyloidosis Treatment Market
- The global transthyretin amyloidosis treatment market is likely to be driven by an increase in the prevalence of disease, rise in the population of people of African origin, increase in awareness, improvement in diagnostic procedures, improvement of healthcare services, rapid economic growth in developing countries, and rise in research and development activity. On the other hand, less awareness in developing economies, misdiagnosis of the disease, high cost associated with disease diagnosis and treatment, limited clinical trials, and lack of efficient medication are major factors restraining the transthyretin amyloidosis treatment market.
- According to the Amyloidosis Foundation, there are roughly 126 different genetic variations in ATTR, with up to 53 types of genetic variations in non-transthyretin hereditary amyloidosis diseases. According to reports published on transthyretin amyloidosis, it has been estimated that nearly 10,000, or 1.1 per 100,000 individuals in the world are living with TTR-FAP. The age group of patients suffering from the disorder is between 30 and 40 years of age. It has also been observed that TTR-CM tends to affect older males aged 65 years and above. Familial amyloid polyneuropathy (TTR-FAP) leads to 100 different types of mutations in the transthyretin gene, which leads to protein misfolding. There is only a 50% chance of transferring the mutation to the next generation from an affected parent. On the other hand, the mutation that leads to familial amyloid cardiomyopathy is generally found in individuals of African origin. Amyloidosis related to age primarily affects Caucasian men who are aged 65 years and above.
- The diagnosis of transthyretin amyloidosis is carried out through tissue biopsy, genetic testing, and imaging studies of the heart. Currently, no efficient drugs for transthyretin amyloidosis are available in the market. A complete study of the family should be carried out In order to efficiently diagnose transthyretin amyloidosis. This is carried out through neurological assessment tests, which include small-fiber assessment, electrocardiogram, and laboratory tests.
Medication to be Highly Attractive Segment
- In terms of treatment type, the global transthyretin amyloidosis treatment market can be classified into surgical procedure, and medication
- The medication segment dominated the market in 2020, and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period owing to high usage of medicines for the treatment of transthyretin amyloidosis
Hospitals to be Highly Lucrative Segment
- Based on end-user, the global transthyretin amyloidosis treatment market can be categorized into hospitals, specialized clinics, academic & research institutes
- The hospitals segment dominated the market in 2020. The trend is likely to continue in the next few years, due to an increase in preference for hospitals for the treatment of transthyretin amyloidosis.
North America to Offer Significant Opportunities in Transthyretin Amyloidosis Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global transthyretin amyloidosis treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America leads the global transthyretin amyloidosis treatment market due of an increase in the African-American population, rise in patient pool, increase in the number of diagnosis procedures, presence of leading manufacturers, and rapid drug development
- The market in North America is followed by the market in Europe and Asia Pacific. According to the Amyloidosis Foundation, in the U.S., nearly 4,500 new cases of transthyretin amyloidosis are diagnosed every year.
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to provide lucrative opportunities to the transthyretin amyloidosis treatment market during the forecast period. Increase in demand for supportive care therapeutics because of an increase in healthcare expenditure in the region, rise in medical tourism, expansion of the pharmaceutical industry, and high rate of acceptance of new products are expected to drive the global transthyretin amyloidosis treatment market.
Key Players Operating in Global Transthyretin Amyloidosis Treatment Market
The global transthyretin amyloidosis treatment market is semi-consolidated, with the presence of international and local players. Key players operating in the global transthyretin amyloidosis treatment market are:
- Merck & Co.
- Pfizer Inc.
- AstraZeneca plc.
- Prothena Corporation plc.
- Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Bellus Health Inc.
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Global Transthyretin Amyloidosis Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Transthyretin Amyloidosis Treatment Market, by Treatment Type
- Surgical Procedure
Global Transthyretin Amyloidosis Treatment Market, by End-user
- Specialized Clinics
- Academic & Research Institutes
Global Transthyretin Amyloidosis Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.