Tranquilizer Drugs Market: Overview
- Tranquilizers are drugs that reduce mental tension, relieve anxiety, and result in calm outlook without producing any marked degree of hypnosis or sedation. Tranquilizers are used extensively and occupy an important place in psychological disorders.
- Atypical antipsychotics or second generation antipsychotics are a type of tranquilizers majorly used for the treatment of several psychiatric conditions such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia. Moreover, they are utilized as an adjunct therapy in the treatment of major depressive disorder. Antipsychotics generally fall into two categories: typical and atypical.
- The conventional or typical antipsychotics were first developed in the 1950s and were widely prescribed for the treatment of severe mental disorders. Thorazine (chlorpromazine) and Haldol (haloperidol) were the most commonly used typical antipsychotics. However, these drugs exhibited severe side effects, in response to which the pharmaceutical companies introduced atypical antipsychotics with reduced number of extrapyramidal side effects.
- Atypical antipsychotics were approved in the 1990s for treating various psychiatric disorders. These drugs proved to be more effective among treatment-resistant patients compared to the typical antipsychotics.
- Introduction of drugs with greater efficacy and reduced side effects along with increasing prevalence of psychiatric disorders is likely to boost the tranquilizer drugs market in the near future
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Tranquilizer Drugs Market Report
Key Drivers of Global Tranquilizer Drugs Market
- Increased investments in research & development for new product innovation, rise in psychological disorders, increasing stress due to changing lifestyle, and rise in geriatric population are expected to drive the global tranquilizer drugs market
- According to the WHO, the global geriatric population would reach around 2 billion (22% of global population) by 2050, which was around 524 million in 2010. The National Alliance on Mental Illness estimates that out of the 35 million population aged 65 years or older in the U.S., over six million persons suffer from depression.
- At this stage of life, most people experience some type of anxiety disorders or depression. Thus, it is expected that increase in geriatric population would increase the number of patients suffering from psychiatric disorders. This, in turn, is anticipated to drive the tranquilizer drugs market.
- Rise in demand for tranquilizer drugs and market competitiveness has resulted in increasing investment in research & development for new product innovation. This is likely to drive the tranquilizer drugs market.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Tranquilizer Drugs Market
- North America is projected to account for a prominent share of the global market during the forecast period. According to the estimates by Food and Drug Administration (FDA), over 60 million people receive prescriptions for tranquilizers every year. Mental illnesses are common in the U.S. with one in five adults living with some of kind of mental illness which accounted for 46.6 million people in 2017.
- Economic growth in India, China, Brazil, Mexico, and other countries in Asia and Latin America has improved the health care infrastructure and accessibility to innovative products and health care services. Moreover, rise in incidence of psychological disorders is expected to drive the tranquilizer drugs market.
- Countries in Asia Pacific such as China, Japan, and Australia exhibit significant growth prospects in terms of rapid acceptance of novel molecules as well as the extensive use of generics. Moreover, this region has a large number of patients suffering from psychological distress, cancer, AIDS, and other chronic disorders, who experience episodes of depression and anxiety during their lifetime.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Tranquilizer Drugs Market, Ask for a Customized Report
Key Players Operating in Global Tranquilizer Drugs Market
Major players operating in the global tranquilizer drugs market are:
- AstraZeneca Plc.
- Eli Lilly and Company
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Johnson & Johnson
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
Global Tranquilizer Drugs Market: Research Scope
Global Tranquilizer Drugs Market, by Drug Class
- Major Tranquilizers
- Phenothiazine Derivatives
- Thioxanthene Derivatives
- Minor Tranquilizers
- Benzodiazepine Derivatives
- Propanediol Dicarbamate Derivatives
- Cyclopyrrolone Derivatives
Global Tranquilizer Drugs Market, by Indication
- Bipolar Disorder
- Unipolar Depression
Global Tranquilizer Drugs Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.