Topical Wound Agents: Introduction
- Topical wound agents are medical preparations used to treat dermatological injuries. Topical wound agents are primarily formulated into creams, emulsions, oils, sprays, and others. Different type of agents are used for treatment of acute and chronic wounds. These agents are essentially used to control pain, inflammation, and infection.
- Topical wound agents include antiseptics, antibiotics, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents. Antibiotics are agents, which help to kill or inhibit the growth of microorganisms. Antiseptics and disinfectants are primarily used to control infection and NSAIDs used for pain management.
- Topical wound agents are available in various forms such as creams, powders, lotions, gels, emulsions, and others
Key Drivers of Global Topical Wound Agents Market
- Rise in prevalence of chronic wounds and increase in health care expenditure are projected to boost the growth of the global topical wound agents market during the forecast period. Chronic wounds include diabetic foot ulcer, pressure ulcer, and venous leg ulcer. Surge in the number of patients with diabetic foot ulcer and pressure ulcer boosts the growth of the global topical wound agents market. According to the American Diabetes Association, the lifetime risk of foot ulcer in patients with diabetes (type 1 or 2) could be as high as 34%. The global annual incidence rate of diabetic foot ulcer is 6.3%.
- Increase in government initiatives and rise in awareness about wound infections among the general population fuel the growth of the global topical wounds agents market. Moreover, surge in health care funding and improving health care facilities contribute to the growth of the global topical wound agents market.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Topical Wound Agents Market Report
Topical Gel Segment to Witness High Demand
- In terms of product type, the global topical wound agents market can be classified into creams, gels, powders, emulsions, and others
- The topical gel segment accounted for the largest share of the global topical wound agents market in 2019. The segment is projected to dominate the global topical wound agents market due to increase in use of topical gels in the treatment of burns and surgical bruises. Topical gels contain hydrogel, which helps in rapidly cooling wounds and relieving pain. Topical gels also provide adequate moisture to wounds and offer potential resistance against contamination.
Acute Wounds Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Based on application, the global topical wound agents market can be divided into acute wounds and chronic wounds. The acute wounds segment can be segregated into surgical & traumatic wounds and burns. The chronic wounds segment can be split into diabetic foot ulcer, pressure ulcer, venous leg ulcer, and others.
- Acute wounds was the largest segment in terms of revenue in 2019. The segment is anticipated to witness strong growth during the forecast period. This can be attributed to high incidence rate of surgical & traumatic wounds and burns. According to the World Health Organization, in India, over 1,000,000 people are moderately or severely burnt every year and nearly 173,000 children in Bangladesh are moderately or severely burnt every year.
Hospital Pharmacies to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of distribution channel, the global topical wound agents market can be categorized into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies. Hospital pharmacies was the largest segment in terms of revenue in 2019. The segment is anticipated to witness strong growth during the forecast period due to increase in number of patients with acute and chronic wounds who require hospital visit.
Stuck in a Neck-to-Neck Competition with Other Brands? Request a Custom Report on “Topical Wound Agents Market” here
North America to Dominate Global Topical Wound Agents Market
- In terms of region, the global topical wound agents market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global topical wound agents market in 2019 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. The region has large number of patients with burns, diabetic foot ulcers, and pressure ulcers. Moreover, early adoption of new products and presence of major manufacturers are likely to boost the growth of the topical wound agents market in North America.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period, owing to increase in new product launches and rise in demand for topical wound agents in emerging countries such as India and China.
Key Players Operating in Global Topical Wound Agents Market
The global topical wound agents market was highly fragmented in 2019. Leading players operating in the global market are:
- Smith & Nephew plc
- Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc.
- Mölnlycke Health Care AB
- Novartis AG
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Johnson & Johnson
- Mylan N.V.
- AstraZeneca plc
Global Topical Wound Agents Market: Research Scope
Global Topical Wound Agents Market, by Product Type
Global Topical Wound Agents Market, by Application
- Acute Wound
- Surgical & Traumatic Wound
- Chronic Wound
- Diabetic Foot Ulcer
- Pressure Ulcer
- Venous Leg Ulcer
Global Topical Wound Agents Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Topical Wound Agents Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.