Tissue Sectioning Devices: Introduction
- Tissue sections from organs were prepared by hand with knives or razor blades at the beginning of histology. Adequate quality depended on ability and experience; however, the method of cutting was far from reproducible. Mechanical instruments used to cut biological specimens into very thin segments for microscopic examination are tissue sectioning devices. It is possible to present biological specimens in several ways.
- Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases and cancers is a key factor driving the demand for histopathology tests, as a tissue pathology examination is of utmost importance for the diagnosis of a malignant tumor. Cancer is recognized as a leading cause of death globally. Biopsy tissue analysis enables pathologists to determine the type, stage, and degree of cancer in which the disease has invaded healthy tissues. This has led to an increased adoption of tissue sectioning, staining instruments, and histopathology, which in turn has propelled the market.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Tissue Sectioning Devices Market
- Growth of personalized therapeutics and diagnostics to boost market
- Personalized medicine has become the hallmark of treatment for cancer and has expanded to other fields with its application. It is a constantly emerging approach to customizing therapies based on patients' individual genetic accumulation. Increased adoption of personalized medicine has led to an increase in demand for the use of human tissue, as the field relies on the use of human tissue to develop innovative tests.
- Organizations such as the National Cervical Cancer Coalition, the World Health Organization (WHO), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the United States are developing awareness programs. Establishment of the Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) for cancer screening is a crucial factor driving the market. Efforts by major market players to undertake awareness-raising initiatives to screen for cervical and vaginal cancer are expected to boost the market.
- For instance, the National Health Service (NHS) provides cervical screening services in the U.K. for all women between the ages of 25 and 64 years. In general, women aged 25 to 49 years are screened every three years, while women aged 50 to 64 years are screened every five years. The Norwegian Cervical Cancer Screening Program (NCCSP) was introduced by the Government of Norway to screen women between the ages of 25 and 69 every three years.
Hydrogen Peroxide Tissue Sectioning Devices Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of products, the global tissue sectioning devices market can be classified into rotary microtome, sliding microtome, ultramicrotome, cryostat, and others
- Advanced microtome versions can accurately cut tissue blocks with a thickness ranging from 0.1 to 100 μm. These devices, such as sliding, rotating, freezing, ultra, and laser microtomes, are available in various forms. Therefore, availability of a wide range of products to serve different purposes in pathology laboratories is expected to drive the segment.
- Based on technology, the global tissue sectioning devices market can be divided into automatic, semiautomatic, and manual
- In terms of applications, the global tissue sectioning devices market can be divided into diagnosis, and research
- Based on end-user, the global tissue sectioning devices market can be classified into hospital, clinics, diagnostic laboratories, and research centers
North America to Dominate Global Tissue Sectioning Devices Market
- In terms of region, the global tissue sectioning devices market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America accounted for a major share of the global tissue sectioning market, in terms of revenue, due to advanced healthcare infrastructure, increased investment in tissue diagnostics by public and private sectors, and high rate of adoption of fully automated technologically advanced products in the region. Increase in prevalence of cancer in North America is boosting the demand for cancer diagnostic biopsies, leading to an increased demand for tissue sectioning equipment.
- The market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. Presence of a large target population, high unmet clinical needs, coupled with increasing R&D activities for advanced diagnostic techniques are projected to further boost the market in the region. Furthermore, improvement in healthcare infrastructure and an increase in healthcare expenditure are expected to provide key producers significant opportunities.
Leading Players Operating in Global Tissue Sectioning Devices Market
The global tissue sectioning devices market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key players operating in the global tissue sectioning devices market are:
- AGD Biomedicals (P) Ltd.
- Amos Scientific Pty Ltd
- Boeckeler Instruments, Inc.
- Covance Inc.
- Danaher Corporation
- LLS ROWIAK LaserLabSolutions GmbH
- MEDITE GmbH
- Sakura Finetek Japan, Co., Ltd.
- SLEE medical GmbH
- SM Scientific Instruments Pvt. Ltd.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Global Tissue Sectioning Devices Market: Research Scope
Global Tissue Sectioning Devices Market, by Product
- Rotary Microtome
- Sliding Microtome
Global Tissue Sectioning Devices Market, by Technology
Global Tissue Sectioning Devices Market, by Application
Global Tissue Sectioning Devices Market, by End-use
- Diagnostic Laboratories
- Research Centers
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!