Tissue Plasminogen Activator: Introduction
- Tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) is an enzyme associated with breakdown of blood clots (fibrinolysis). It is a serine protease present in endothelial cells. Conversion of plasminogen to plasmin is catalyzed with the help of serine protease. Serine protease is a major enzyme for clot breakdown.
- Tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) is also produced by using recombinant technology techniques known as recombinant tissue plasminogen activator (rtPA). Specific rtPAs are alteplase, tenecteplase, and reteplase.
- These enzymes are used in clinical treatment of embolic stroke or thrombotic stroke. tPA is a drug that dissolves blood clots. It is a thrombolytic agent which can be administrated into the veins.
- Tissue plasminogen activator is the first and only drug approved by the FDA in 1996 for the treatment of acute ischemic stroke
Get a Glimpse of the In-Depth Analysis through our Tissue Plasminogen Activator Market Report Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Tissue Plasminogen Activator Market
- Increase in number of patients with stroke is expected to propel the tissue plasminogen activator market. Cardiovascular disease was a major cause of deaths in 2018, which accounted for 836,546 deaths in the U.S. That is about 1 in 3 deaths in the U.S. In terms of cardiovascular diseases, stroke is second most leading cause (16.8%) of deaths in the U.S. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), stroke is the third leading cause of disability, worldwide.
- Geriatric population is more prone to stroke incidence. Increase in stroke incidence in adult population is major factor for driving the market. As per the Public Health England (PHE), around 38% of people suffering from strokes were aged 40 to 69 in 2018.
- The global tissue plasminogen activator market continues to grow at a rapid pace. This growth can be attributed to increase in incidence rate of stroke, improved health care infrastructure, and demand for technologically advanced products in developed countries.
- The side effects of the drug, such as vomiting, nausea, dizziness, and fever, are restraining tissue plasminogen activator market growth. Major side effects include intracranial hemorrhage, hypertension, systemic hemorrhage, and angioedema.
2 mg Dosage Segment to Witness High Demand
- Based on dosage, the global tissue plasminogen activator market can be segmented into 2 mg, 50 mg, and 100 mg
- The 2 mg segment accounted for the highest share of the tissue plasminogen activator market in 2018. This segment is expected to dominate the tissue plasminogen activator market as during initial stage of disease, most of the physicians preferred low dose. Dose of tissue plasminogen activator depends upon weight of patients. The standard dose of tissue plasminogen activator is 0.90 mg/kg.
Blood Clot Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- In terms of application, the global tissue plasminogen activator market can be divided into: blood clot, pulmonary embolism, myocardial infarction and stroke
- The blood clot segment generated the highest revenue in 2018 and is anticipated to witness growth during the forecast period. This can be attributed to increase in incidence of blood clotting disorder in developing countries.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Tissue Plasminogen Activator Market Report
North America to Dominate Global Tissue Plasminogen Activator Market
- In terms of region, the global tissue plasminogen activator market can be categorized into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global tissue plasminogen activator market in 2018 and is expected to maintain its leading position during the forecast period. This dominance of the region can be attributed to increase in product offerings, presence of key market players in the region, greater affordability, and rise in demand for early diagnosis.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to register highest growth during the forecast period, owing to increase in adoption of new products, and rise in incidence of blood clotting disorders, stroke, myocardial infarction, and pulmonary embolism.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global tissue plasminogen activator market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Bayer AG
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
- Sekisui Diagnostics
- Taj Pharmaceuticals
- Cadila Healthcare Ltd.
- Abcam plc.
- Other Prominent Players
Tissue Plasminogen Activator Market: Research Scope
Tissue Plasminogen Activator Market, by Dosage
- 2 mg
- 50 mg
- 100 mg
Tissue Plasminogen Activator Market, by Application
- Blood Clots
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Myocardial Infarction
Tissue Plasminogen Activator Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.