Thin Film Encapsulation: Introduction
- Thin film encapsulation is based on a multi-layer film, made of alternating organic and inorganic layers. The inorganic layers are typically made of metal oxides and act as barriers for moisture.
- Thin-film encapsulation (TFE) has the potential to replace the front glass in an OLED device with a thin-film barrier. The nature of OLED material is that it is highly susceptible to degradation when exposed to environmental factors such as water and air.
- Technologies such as inkjet printing and atomic layer deposition (ALD) can be used for the encapsulation of flexible lighting products, OLED displays, photovoltaic solar cells, and thin-film batteries.
- The two main steps of TFE (thin-film encapsulation) include the deposition of an inorganic layer and organic layer.
- Thin film encapsulation is used in various fields such as flexible lighting products, OLED displays, photovoltaic solar cells, thin film batteries, and other areas
Growing Demand for Thin Film Encapsulation in Consumer Electronics Industry
- Thin film encapsulation is largely used in the consumer electronics industry for flexible OLED displays for smart wearable and smartphones and to meet the need for thin-film barriers in flexible and organic devices.
- Demand for high-efficiency, thin-film solar cells has increased due to huge investment in building OLED business facilities and roll-to-roll production of OLED lighting, which are likely to create profitable opportunities for thin-film encapsulation technology and material providers.
- Furthermore, governments of various countries in Asia Pacific are supporting manufacturers to construct facilities to manufacture flexible OLED panels.
- Major customers of TFE materials in Japan include Japan Display (JDI & JOLED), and Sharp. These companies have traditionally focused on LCD displays; however, they have decided to invest in the fast-growing OLED display panel market.
- As a result of these factors, demand for thin film encapsulation in consumer electronics industry is growing, which is expected to drive the market during the forecast period
Asia Pacific to Lead the Thin Film Encapsulation Market
- In terms of region, the global thin film encapsulation market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to dominate the global thin film encapsulation market throughout the forecast period, as a large number of manufacturers of thin film encapsulation operate in the region
- Additionally, many well-established players based in Asia Pacific are focusing on development of new technology in thin film encapsulation which is expected to boost the market in the region during the forecast period
- The thin film encapsulation market in North America and Europe is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in the Global Thin Film Encapsulation Market
The global thin film encapsulation market was highly fragmented in 2020. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansion to meet the rising demand for thin film encapsulation. Moreover, manufacturers are signing partnerships for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global thin film encapsulation market are:
- Applied Materials
- BASF SE
- LG Chem
- Meyer Burger
- Samsung SDI
- Toray Industries
- Universal Display
- Veeco Instruments
Global Thin Film Encapsulation Market: Research Scope
Global Thin Film Encapsulation Market, by Technology
- Plasma-Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition (PECVD)
- Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD)
- Inkjet Printing
Global Thin Film Encapsulation Market, by Application
- Flexible Lighting Products
- OLED Displays
- Photovoltaic Solar Cells
- Thin Film Batteries
Global Thin Film Encapsulation Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!