Thin Film Encapsulation: Introduction
- Thin film encapsulation is based on a multi-layer film, made of alternating organic and inorganic layers. The inorganic layers are typically made of metal oxides and act as barriers for moisture.
- Thin-film encapsulation (TFE) has the potential to replace the front glass in an OLED device with a thin-film barrier. The nature of OLED material is that it is highly susceptible to degradation when exposed to environmental factors such as water and air.
- Technologies such as inkjet printing and atomic layer deposition (ALD) can be used for the encapsulation of flexible lighting products, OLED displays, photovoltaic solar cells, and thin-film batteries.
- The two main steps of TFE (thin-film encapsulation) include the deposition of an inorganic layer and organic layer.
- Thin film encapsulation is used in various fields such as flexible lighting products, OLED displays, photovoltaic solar cells, thin film batteries, and other areas
Growing Demand for Thin Film Encapsulation in Consumer Electronics Industry
- Thin film encapsulation is largely used in the consumer electronics industry for flexible OLED displays for smart wearable and smartphones and to meet the need for thin-film barriers in flexible and organic devices.
- Demand for high-efficiency, thin-film solar cells has increased due to huge investment in building OLED business facilities and roll-to-roll production of OLED lighting, which are likely to create profitable opportunities for thin-film encapsulation technology and material providers.
- Furthermore, governments of various countries in Asia Pacific are supporting manufacturers to construct facilities to manufacture flexible OLED panels.
- Major customers of TFE materials in Japan include Japan Display (JDI & JOLED), and Sharp. These companies have traditionally focused on LCD displays; however, they have decided to invest in the fast-growing OLED display panel market.
- As a result of these factors, demand for thin film encapsulation in consumer electronics industry is growing, which is expected to drive the market during the forecast period
Asia Pacific to Lead the Thin Film Encapsulation Market
- In terms of region, the global thin film encapsulation market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to dominate the global thin film encapsulation market throughout the forecast period, as a large number of manufacturers of thin film encapsulation operate in the region
- Additionally, many well-established players based in Asia Pacific are focusing on development of new technology in thin film encapsulation which is expected to boost the market in the region during the forecast period
- The thin film encapsulation market in North America and Europe is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in the Global Thin Film Encapsulation Market
The global thin film encapsulation market was highly fragmented in 2020. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansion to meet the rising demand for thin film encapsulation. Moreover, manufacturers are signing partnerships for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global thin film encapsulation market are:
- Applied Materials
- BASF SE
- LG Chem
- Meyer Burger
- Samsung SDI
- Toray Industries
- Universal Display
- Veeco Instruments
Global Thin Film Encapsulation Market: Research Scope
Global Thin Film Encapsulation Market, by Technology
- Plasma-Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition (PECVD)
- Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD)
- Inkjet Printing
Global Thin Film Encapsulation Market, by Application
- Flexible Lighting Products
- OLED Displays
- Photovoltaic Solar Cells
- Thin Film Batteries
Global Thin Film Encapsulation Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.