Sustained Release Drugs: Significant Benefits over Conventional Dosage Forms
- Based on therapeutic need, flexible drug formulation can be designed to provide immediate release, delayed release, or sustained release. Sustained release formulation is designed to release a drug at a predetermined rate by maintaining constant drug concentration for a specific period of time. Most commonly used drug delivery systems for sustained release drugs are parenteral injections and implants.
- Sustained release drugs offer several advantages over conventional ones. These include better patient compliance, low dosing frequency, reduced incidence of side effects, and overall cost reduction of medical care.
- A number of companies are investing in oral or injectable sustained release drug manufacturing. Sanofi’s AMBIEN CR (zolpidem tartrate) tablet is an oral extended release tablet for the treatment of insomnia characterized by difficulties with sleep onset and/or sleep maintenance. Eli Lilly and Company’s PROZAC fluoxetine delayed-release capsule is administered orally in combination with olanzapine for the treatment of depressive episodes associated with bipolar disorder.
Get a Glimpse of the In-depth Analysis through our Sustained Release Drugs Market Report Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Sustained Release Drugs Market
- Rise in demand for pediatric and geriatric sustained release dosage forms drives the global market. Extended release drugs are majorly used to reduce dosing frequency. Non-compliance of pediatric and geriatric patients is a concern due to issues related to poor taste of medications and swallowing difficulties of the drugs. Nanotechnology, micronization, and drug stabilization methods are used for dose reduction in these sustained release drugs.
- Hence, sustained release drugs have been widely accepted compared to immediate release formulations of the same drug. This type of drug offers extended release over a long period of time, leading to better patient compliance and increased bioavailability.
- Dose dumping is a major restraint of the global sustained release drugs market. If the system fails, dose dumping could occur which can lead to toxicity. Dose dumping is defined as rapid release of sustained release drugs in the circulatory system. High cost of drugs is another factor likely to hamper market growth. A single unit of sustained release drug costs higher than conventional dosage form.
Oral Route of Administration to Witness High Demand
- In terms route of administration, the global sustained release drugs market can be classified into oral, intramuscular, subcutaneous, transdermal, intravenous, and others
- Oral is the most preferred route of drug delivery. This is primarily due to higher flexibility, better patient compliance, and reduced dosing frequency. Moreover, reasonable cost of oral extended drug delivery system over oral conventional drugs drives the segment.
- In 2017, Pfizer, Inc. received the FDA approval for LYRICA CR (Pregabalin) extended-release tablets for the treatment of neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy (pDPN)
Hospital Pharmacies Segment to Witness Strong Growth
- Based on distribution channel, the global sustained release drugs market can be bifurcated into hospital pharmacies and online pharmacies
- Sustained release drugs are available over-the-counter and on prescription. Hospital pharmacies deal with procurement, storage, dispensing, and distribution of drugs for inpatients as well as outpatients.
- Sustained release tablets are composed of multiple layers for different drug release times. Some of the more common prefixes or suffixes for sustained-release, controlled-release, or controlled-delivery products are 12-hour, 24-hour, CC, CD, CR, ER, LA, Retard, SA, Slo-, SR, XL, XR, or XT.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Sustained Release Drugs Market Report
Asia Pacific Market to Expand at a High CAGR
- In terms of region, the global sustained release drugs can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America held the largest share of the global market in 2018 due to continuous investment in R&D and availability of highly sophisticated technologies. Moreover, advanced research facilities and presence of leading pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies boost the growth of the market in the region.
- However, the market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period owing to developing health care infrastructure and continuous investment by companies in lower and middle income countries in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global sustained release drugs market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Endo Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Janssen Global Services, LLC
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Genentech, Inc.
- Novartis AG
- Ipsen Pharma
- Merck & Co.
Sustained Release Drugs Market: Research Scope
Global Sustained Release Drugs Market, by Route of Administration
Global Sustained Release Drugs Market, by Mode
Global Sustained Release Drugs Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Sustained Release Drugs Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.