Stye Drug Market: Introduction
- Stye, also known as hordeolum, is a painful and acute infection on the upper or lower eyelid. Majority of the cases of hordeolum are due to Staphylococcus aureus followed by Staphylococcus epidermidis. All age groups can be affected, although there is a slight increase in prevalence of stye in patients aged between 30 years and 50 years.
- Stye can be treated with topical ointment or sometimes oral antibiotics. However, in some cases, surgeries are performed. Typically, the size of the swelling is a direct indicator of the severity of the infection. Recurrent of hordeolum is usually due to failure to eliminate the bacteria completely.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Stye Drug Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Stye Drug Market
- Prevalence of indoor as well as outdoor allergens is driving the global stye drug market. Environmental factors play a major role in the occurrence of allergic conditions. The bacteria of stye i.e. staphylococcal, is often found in the nose. This can easily be transferred from nose to eye.
- Hordeolum has no correlation between race, sex, or gender for the occurrence of Stye. Due to increased viscosity of the sebum, adults are prone to this disease. Sometimes, blepharitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, diabetes, and elevated lipids offer an additional risk to the development of hordeola.
- Patent expiry of several companies and introduction of generic drugs are expected to restrain the growth of the global market. Expiration of patent can have a major impact on the market leading to decline in net price.
External Hordeolum Segment to Witness High Demand
- In terms of type, the global stye drug market can be segmented into external hordeolum and internal hordeolum
- External stye or hordeolum emerge at the outer edge of the eyelid, while in internal hordeolum, the swelling develops inside the eyelid
- External hordeolum is common. Most hordeola are external and result from obstruction and infection of an eyelash follicle and adjacent glands of Zeis or Moll glands. Follicle obstruction may be associated with blepharitis. However, an internal hordeolum is very rare and a result of infection in the meibomian gland.
Antibiotic Segment has Significant Growth Potential
- Based on drug class, the global stye drug market can be divided into antibiotic and ophthalmic steroids
- Oral antibiotics are majorly prescribed for external hordeolum treatment. This drug class can also be useful for internal hordeolum. However, antibiotics having topical route of administration are usually ineffective.
- Steroids injections are sometimes administered by ophthalmologists for early recovery. Steroid injection carries the risk of bleeding, thinning of the skin, scar, pain, and in very rare cases, loss of vision. Thus, this drug class is not preferred for the treatment of stye.
Hospital Pharmacy Segment to Grow at High Rate
- On the basis of distribution channel, the global stye drug market can be classified into hospital pharmacy, online, and pharmacy
- Drugs used for stye treatment are majorly prescription-based. Hospital pharmacy deals with storage, procurement, dispensing, and distribution of drugs to in-patient as well as outpatient.
- However, online distribution channel may grow in the near future due to delivery of drugs at home. Online pharmacy is an internet-based vendor. Population-based surveys exhibited that 72% of the online population in the U.S. and 71% in Europe searched for health related information, at least, once in 12 months.
Asia Pacific Stye Drug Market to Expand Rapidly
- In terms of region, the global stye drug market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is likely to witness maximum demand for stye drugs from 2019 to 2027. Major manufacturers are continuously investing in emerging economies to leverage growth opportunities in the market.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Stye Drug Market Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global stye drug market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Bausch and Lomb
- Johnson & Johnson
- Novartis AG
- DAIICHI SANKYO COMPANY, LIMITED
- AbbVie Inc.
Global Stye Drug Market: Research Scope
Global Stye Drug Market, by Type
- External Hordeolum
- Internal Hordeolum
Global Stye Drug Market, by Drug Class
- Ophthalmic Steroids
Global Stye Drug Market, by Route of Administration
Global Stye Drug Market, by Prescription Mode
Global Stye Drug Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacy
Global Stye Drug Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.