Starch-based Edible Coatings Market: Overview
- Starch-based edible coatings are increasingly sought as an effective way to enhance post-harvest life of agricultural food materials such as fruits and vegetables, meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products
- Starch-based edible coatings improve the shelf life of perishable food products and keep them in the fresh form for a longer period of time
- Commonly used starch products for producing starch-based edible coatings include corn starch, potato starch, sweet potato starch, and cassava starch. Starch-based edible coating raw materials are moderately expensive. Rise in production of starch in developing economies such as China and India is anticipated to ensure proper supply of the materials to the market and help in lowering the prices.
- Potato starch and sweet potato starch are relatively expensive as compared to corn starch and cassava, which are the leading types of starch
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Starch-based Edible Coatings Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers of Starch-based Edible Coatings Market
- Need to preserve perishable foods from going stale and extend the period for which they remain fresh are the primary drivers of the starch-based edible coatings market. Moreover, unlike other coatings such as wax coatings, these are human friendly and have no side effects on consumption by humans. These properties makes starch-based edible coating an ideal material for usage in agriculture, poultry, and dairy applications.
- Busy lifestyle has boosted the demand for easily consumable products that are not affected by bacteria. However, alarming rise in health issues faced by consumers have made them aware of consuming healthy and nutritive convenience food products. The growth of convenience food is expected to propel the demand for starch-based edible coatings during the forecast period.
Fruits & Vegetables Segment to lead Expansion of Global Starch-based Edible Coatings Market
- Starch-based edible coatings are primarily used in the following applications: fruits & vegetables, meat, poultry & fish, dairy products, nutritional products, and bakery & confectionery
- Fruits & vegetables is anticipated to be the dominant segment of the global starch-based edible coatings market during the forecast period. Fruits and vegetables are easily perishable and susceptible to diseases post-harvest. The quality of these products deteriorates when they are exposed to environmental conditions and are no longer fit for consumption. In order to prevent this, starch-based edible coatings are increasingly used.
- Countries such as China, India, and Brazil have extensive agricultural production and also produce starch raw materials. Demand for starch-based edible coatings from these countries in the fruits & vegetables segment is therefore high.
- Meat, poultry, and fish and dairy products are the other prominent consumers of starch-based edible coatings. These are also perishable in nature and therefore require coatings along with packaging to improve shelf life.
- Bakery & confectionery and nutritional products segments are expected to expand at a rapid pace in the near future due to the rise in adoption of starch-based edible coatings during the forecast period
Asia Pacific Expected to Hold Dominant Share of Global Starch-based Edible Coatings Market
- North America is the leading consumer of starch-based edible coatings in the world. Demand for starch-based edible coatings in the region is rising at a rapid rate due to the increase in usage of these coatings to prevent post-harvest losses of agricultural produce and poultry products. Moreover, growth in consumer preference for health foods, which are safe and minimally processed, is expected to drive the demand for starch-based edible coatings in North America during the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific is a prominent consumer of starch-based edible coatings in the world. Most of the demand in the region is concentrated in China, Japan, and India. Rise in consumer awareness regarding organic and healthy food products is propelling the demand for starch-based edible coatings in Asia Pacific. Moreover, the region is the leading producer of starch raw materials such as corn starch and potato starch.
- Europe is a mature market for starch-based edible coatings. The region held key share of the global demand for starch-based edible coatings in 2018. Various substitutes are available for improving the shelf life of food products in the region. The food packaging industry is anticipated to expand at a slow pace during the forecast period. These factors are estimated to lead to slow growth of the starch-based edible coatings market during the forecast period.
- Latin America and Middle East & Africa constitute smaller share of the global demand for starch-based edible coatings. These regions are expected to create lucrative opportunities for the starch-based edible coatings market during the forecast period.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Starch-based Edible Coatings Market here
Key Players Operating in Starch-based Edible Coatings Market:
Various players are engaged in the manufacture of starch-based edible coatings across the globe. Almost half of the market is occupied by organized players and market leaders. Key players operating in the starch-based edible coatings market include:
- Cargill Inc.
- Ingredion Inc.
- BENEO GmbH
- Kerry Group
- Tate & Lyle Plc.
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Roquette Frères
- Flo Chemical Corporation
- Millennium Starch India Pvt.Ltd
- Tidecom Technology Co., Ltd
- Ashland Inc.
- Royal DSM N.V.
Global Starch-based Edible Coatings Market: Research Scope
Global Starch-based Edible Coatings Market, by Source
- Corn Starch
- Potato Starch
- Sweet Potato Starch
- Cassava Starch
- Other Starch
Global Starch-based Edible Coatings Market, by Application
- Fruits & Vegetables
- Meat, Poultry and Fish
- Dairy Products
- Nutritional Products
- Bakery & Confectionery
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.