Spinal cord stimulator (SCS) is also known as dorsal column stimulator. The system comprises and an electric pulse generator. Functioning of the spinal cord stimulator is based on the pain management therapy. The spinal cord stimulator hinders transmission of pain signals to the brain so that the brain does not identify the pain. The device gives positive, symptomatic, and long-term effects in cases of sciatica, cervical radiculopathy, failed back surgery syndrome (FBSS), reflex sympathetic dystrophy, arachnoiditis, and peripheral neuropathy. Spinal cord stimulation received approval from the U.S. FDA in 1989 for indications such as nerve damage in the trunk, arms, or legs. According to a study conducted by the Institute of Medicine of The National Academies, 100 million people in the U.S. suffer from chronic pain. Moreover, the study states that the incidence rate of lower back pain is the maximum. Lower back pain accounted for around 30% of all kinds of chronic pain.
The spinal cord stimulators market is large-sized and relatively untouched. Spinal cord stimulators possess high potential to treat widespread chronic back pain. The global spinal cord stimulators market is anticipated to witness significant growth in the next few years due to rising geriatric population, increasing demand for minimally invasive surgeries, and technological advancements across the world. In May 2015, Nevro Corporation received the U.S. FDA’s approval for its Senza spinal cord stimulator (SCS) system. This implantable and rechargeable system helps in relieving chronic pain in the limbs and the trunks. The upcoming product innovations and new product launches are expected to boost the market from 2017 to 2025. However, factors such as unfavorable reimbursement scenario, lack of trained professionals, and high cost of products and treatment are hindering the market for spinal cord stimulators. According to a survey conducted by ECRI Institute in January 2015,
The global spinal cord stimulators market has been classified based on product, application, end-user, and geography. Based on product, the market has been segmented into rechargeable spinal cord stimulator systems and non-rechargeable spinal cord stimulator systems. Compact size, user-friendly nature, and launch of new rechargeable systems are some of the factors fueling the rechargeable systems segment.
Based on application, the global spinal cord stimulators market has been divided into sciatica, failed back syndrome (FBS), arachnoiditis, degenerative disk disease, and others. High prevalence of chronic back pain and disk surgery and increasing demand for devices providing rapid relief are major factors likely to increase the demand for spinal cord stimulators during the forecast period. The market is anticipated to witness high growth in the next few years, due to rise in the number of health care organizations and clinics and commercialization of products across the globe. Hospitals is anticipated to be a major end-user segment of the SCS systems market and is anticipated to dominate the market during the forecast period.
Geographically, the global spinal cord stimulators market has been classified into North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Middle East & Africa. The U.S. was the largest market in terms of revenue in 2016. while the market in is likely to expand at the most rapid pace during the forecast period.
Boston Scientific, St. Jude Medical, Medtronic Plc, Nevro Corporation are key players operating in the global market for spinal cord stimulators. They are making investments in research activities to launch new devices. Several new entrants such as Stimwave, Greatbatch, Autonomic Technologies, Inc., and Cyberonics are planning to expand in the global spinal cord stimulators market in the near future.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.