New Opportunities for Sodium Formate Manufacturers in Animal Feed Additive Landscape
The use of organic acids as food additives gained significant importance after the ban on antibiotic growth promoters (AGPs) in Europe in 2006, which addressed the problem of non-essential use of antibiotics. There is an increasing preference for organic and safe feed additives, globally, which has had a significant impact on the sodium formate market, due to its application as an effective organic feed additive.
Various regulations have given rise to the demand for organic acids in the animal nutrition sector, and with the growing awareness about their positive effects on feed quality, and subsequently animal performance, the sales of sodium formate are likely to soar in this sector in the coming years. A recently published rule by The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (Document citation: 81 FR 67153), amended the regulations for the safe use of sodium formate as a food additive. Further, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) also confirmed the safety of the use of sodium formate in the production of animal feed additives.
Food additives accounted for almost a third of the global sodium formate market share in 2018, which is likely to remain the same during the forecast period of 2019-2027. The efficacy and safety of sodium formate as an animal feed additive will continue to make it a popular application for sodium formate, positively impacting the growth of the market.
Want to know what lies in store for the future of Sodium Formate Market? Request a Brochure here
Activity in Textile & Printing Industry Creates Sustained Opportunities
The sodium formate industry’s reliance on textile and printing is expected to continue to prevail during the forecast period of 2019–2027. In 2018, the textile and printing industry held almost 40% share of the global sodium formate market revenue, and this share is projected to increase over the forecast period.
A steady rise in printing activity and advancements of printing techniques that involve the use of sodium formate are also expected to cause a boost in the growth of the sodium formate market. The expansion of the digital printing market, along with innovation in fabric dyeing and printing processes for effective alkali neutralization and pH control, coupled with the environment-friendly attributes of sodium formate, is expected to contribute to the evolution of the market.
Furthermore, sodium formate is being increasingly used in the leather tanning industry, and it is also considered to be very efficient when it comes to chrome penetration into the entire thickness of the hide. The reliability and consistency of acid concentrations, and the purity of sodium formate, are likely to advocate for the use of it in tanning. The flurry of activity in the printing and textile industry can mean a steady demand for sodium formate in the foreseeable future.
To know more about this report, ask for a Report Sample
Sodium Formate Market Being Driven by Push for Ecologically-Friendly Deicers
The aerospace industry, due to increasing concerns about the environmental impact of deicing chemicals such as urea and acetates, is gradually making a shift to formate-based deicers. As such, the preference for sodium formate-based deicers has been growing steadily, with demand from the aerospace industry accounting for ~20% of the global sodium formate market share.
The growing focus on environment conservation has opened up opportunities for manufacturers in the sodium formate industry. For instance: Perstorp Holdings, a leading specialty chemicals innovator, in May 2019, announced the construction of a plant in Sweden to granulate solid sodium formate, increasing the availability of the same for its product PERGRIP RUN NF.
However, the hygroscopic nature of sodium formate continues to be a cause for concern for manufacturers within the market. This property of sodium formate translates to other additives having to be added before use and special requirements when it comes to handling and storage. This, coupled with its tendency to cake when stored, is likely to have a restraining effect on the sodium formate market.
Ask for a custom report to know TMRs exclusive analysis on various parameters
APAC Continues to Lead the Sodium Formate Market
Accounting for a whopping ~43% of the value share, as of 2018, Asia Pacific dominates the sodium formate market, a trend that is unlikely to change during the forecast period. This is likely to be being driven by the expansion of the already strong textile market in the region, and the availability of newer materials and printing processes as well.
The sodium formate market in Europe held ~one-fourth of the global market share in 2018. Increasing stringency of environmental laws in Europe, coupled with the push for ecologically-sound solutions in both, the aerospace and additives industry, are likely to drive the demand for sodium formate across a variety of applications, in the region. Major stakeholders in the industry are looking at expanding their geographical presence to include Europe, so as to meet the potential high demand from the region.
Analysis of the Competitive Landscape
The sodium formate market is very fragmented, with a plethora of small and medium material companies crowding the scene, alongside larger global players. Frontrunners in the industry, such as Perstorp Holdings and ADDCON, account for ~20% of the revenue share of the global sodium formate market. Considering the nature of the product, a number of regional players operate to meet the domestic demand in their respective regions.
Key players in the market are focusing on expanding their business in the aerospace industry by penetrating into other regional markets. For instance: Jost Chemical, a global leader in high purity chemicals, in October 2018, announced the construction of a new manufacturing plant in Poland, a facility set to be a part of the company’s integrated global network. This move allows Jost Chemical to expand into the region, positioned to meet the future demand from the region.
Authors of this TMR report on the sodium formate market predict that, the revenue of the market will grow at a rate of 4.5% during the forecast period, and have a positive outlook on the evolution of the market. One of key trends that has had a massive impact on many industries, including textiles, printing, animal nutrition, aerospace, and others, is sustainability, which is expected to influence the manufacturing strategies of stakeholders in the sodium formate market.
As a winning strategy, manufacturers looking to consolidate their presence in the sodium formate market should look at collaboration and product innovation to stay ahead of the competition. Though sodium formate’s hygroscopic nature can act as a hindrance, manufacturers can look at capitalizing its low-carbon footprint property to improve their sales.
Sodium Formate Market: Description
- Sodium formate is soluble in water, and is widely used in several fabric dyeing and printing processes. It is also used as a buffering agent for strong mineral acids to increase their pH. Furthermore, sodium formate is employed as food additive and de-icing agent.
- Increase in urban population, introduction of new textile products, and significant expansion in online fashion in Asia Pacific are projected to drive the textile dyeing industry. This, in turn, is likely to boost the sodium formate market.
- Sodium formate is used as preservative in food additives. It is widely employed to prevent decomposition by microbial growth or undesirable chemical changes. Increase in the number of working women and changing lifestyle patterns of consumers are driving the consumption of processed food products. This, in turn, is fuelling the food additives market, and thereby, the growth of the sodium formate market.
Key Growth Drivers of the Sodium Formate Market
- Formate drilling and completion fluid systems are new types of clean organic salt brine systems. These have been developed from inorganic salt brine drilling fluid systems. Formate possesses a number of beneficial characteristics related to oil & gas drilling. These benefits are largely based on the physical characteristics of brines, such as monovalent composition, low crystallization temperature, high transition temperature of polymers when mixed in brines, low water activity, and osmotic effect on shale. Sodium formate fluids are non-corrosive organic monovalent fluids, which offer a number of performance benefits over conventional brines.
- Thus, the demand for sodium formate has been rising in the upstream oil & gas industry to produce clear brine, which is an important chemical in work-over & completion processes.
Major Challenges for the Sodium Formate Market
- Sodium formate is hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs moisture. Thus, it requires special and careful handling in order to avoid moisture absorption. Sodium formate has the tendency to cake during storage. This factor is hampering the growth of the global sodium formate market.
Lucrative Opportunities for the Global Sodium Formate Market
- Increase in the demand for oil & gas in developing economies such as China, India, and Brazil is one of the major factors influencing the rate of drilling activities. A large numbers of petroleum companies are continuously exploring new oil & gas reserves. These new oil & gas discoveries require sodium formate to manage and prevent wells from producing sand. Therefore, newly discovered and potential oil & gas reserves are estimated to create lucrative opportunities for the sodium formate market.
Asia Pacific a Large Sodium Formate Market
- In terms of value and volume, Asia Pacific held a prominent share of the global sodium formate market in 2018. This trend is estimated to continue during the forecast period too. The sodium formate market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the rapid pace. Increase in the population is propelling the textile industry in Asia Pacific. Sodium formate is employed in the textile industry to improve brightness and color in dyeing/printing fabrics and paper.
- Europe held a key share of the sodium formate market in 2018. Rise in the consumption of meat is likely to drive the feed additives industry in Europe. This, in turn, is anticipated to propel the sodium formate market in the region.
- North America is projected to be a moderately attractive region in the global sodium formate market. The sodium formate market in the region is estimated to expand at a steady pace during the forecast period. Technology innovations, increase in livestock production, and surge in animal husbandry for crop production are projected to drive the feed additives industry. This, in turn, is likely to propel the sodium formate market in North America.
Textile & Printing to Account for Prominent Share
- In terms of demand, the textile & printing segment dominated the global sodium formate market in 2018. This trend is expected to continue during the forecast period as well. Sodium formate is used in dyeing, printing fabrics, leather tanning, and chrome electroplating processes. It is also employed as an antioxidant in the paper industry.
- The food & feed additives segment held an important share of the sodium formate market in 2018. The segment is estimated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. Sodium formate is primarily used in animal feed additives. Improvements in standards of living across the globe have boosted the consumption of meat. This is driving the demand for sodium formate in silage preservation and animal feed.
- The aerospace segment is projected to be moderately attractive during the forecast period. Sodium formate is less corrosive and undergoes fast melting action as compared to other deicing chemicals.
Leading Players Engage in Joint Ventures and R&D Activities
- Key players operating in the global sodium formate market include -
- Perstorp Holdings
- Yuanping Chemical Company Limited
- MKS Marmara
- Alder S.p.A.
- Asian Paints
- Kanoria Chemicals & Industries Ltd.
- Zibo Ruibao Chemicals Co., Ltd.
- In June 2014, Perstorp Holdings acquired the pentaerythritol, penta, and calcium formate businesses of Chemko A.S. Strážske, a Slovenia-based producer of chemicals. The move was a part of Perstorp Holding’s aspiring investment plan to increase its production capacity of polyol.
- Zibo Ruibao Chemical Co., Ltd.’s annual output of calcium formate stands at 15,000 tons, while that of sodium formate is 25,000 tons. The company’s annual output of sodium acetate stands at 10,000 tons.
- Yuanping City Chemical Co. Ltd. produces oxalic acid (60,000 tons/year), sodium formate (80,000 tons/year), formic acid (10,000 tons/year), and other by-products
- In 2016, Asia Paints announced plans to increase the production of pentaerythritol from 560 MTM to 730 MTM, and that of sodium formate from 336 MTM to 480 MTM in the solid and solution form.
Sodium Formate Market – Scope of the Report
[196 Pages Report] A research study by Transparency Market Research provides readers with an all-inclusive outlook on the global sodium formate market, to gauge its development. It analyzes the historical data and the current scenario of the sodium formate industry, and makes a forecast of its evolution for 2019 through to 2027. This report has key insights and findings, all designed to help stakeholders make business decisions pertaining to the sodium formate industry. It also has data on the drivers, restraints, threats, and opportunities that could impact the growth of the sodium formate market.
The report also offers details and data analytics of the sodium formate market, to assist companies operating within the market to make winning decisions. This report on the sodium formate market also contains Porter’s Five Forces Analysis and a value Chain Analysis to help estimate the future trajectory and progression of the market.
This TMR study also offers insights into the trends impacting the market, and developments made by the important leaders and market players currently operating in the sodium formate market, along with the winning strategies that they are following.
The report starts with an executive summary of the sodium formate market, followed by an overview of the trends driving the market. The report then has a complete analysis of the market on the basis of segments, and the individual regional impact of various drivers as well.
Key Segments of the Sodium Formate Market
This study by TMR on the sodium formate market categorizes the information and data into two segments: application and region. Readers will find insights and data on how changing trends and dynamics can affect the evolution of the sodium formate market.
The segmentation of the sodium formate market is as follows:
Textile and Printing
Middle East and Africa
Key Questions Answered in the Sodium Formate Market Report
- How much revenue will the sodium formate market generate by the end of the forecast period?
- What application currently holds the largest share in the sodium formate market?
- What application is expected to have the highest share in the global sodium formate market in the foreseeable future?
- What are the key developments witnessed in the sodium formate market and how are they expected to impact the market?
- What are the indicators expected to drive the sodium formate market?
- What region is likely to be the most lucrative in the sodium formate market?
- What are the strategies being incorporated by key players to stay ahead in the sodium formate market?
This report on the sodium formate market answers these questions and more, aiding major stakeholders in making the right decisions for the advancement of their businesses.
This TMR report on the sodium formate market is based on a complete evaluation of the market, backed by primary and secondary sources. The competitive scenario of the sodium formate market is supported by the assessment of different factors and trends that influence the market on every level.
By thoroughly analyzing data from the past and scrutinizing historical facts & statistics and current trends, researchers of the sodium formate market arrive at predictions and calculate the forecast of the market. This report uses a robust analytical data triangulation method to arrive at the approximations of the numbers and figures of the sodium formate market, utilizing a bottom-up and a top down approach.
This detailed assessment of the sodium formate market, along with an overview of the landscape, is based on a cautious scrutiny of the various avenues pertaining to this industry. Analysts’ comments and conclusions on how the sodium format market is set to grow are based on carefully-vetted primary and secondary sources.