Silicon Carbide Semiconductor: Introduction
- Silicon carbide is a hard, synthetically produced, crystalline compound of silicon and carbide, having chemical formula “SiC”
- It occurs in nature as an extremely rare mineral moissanite. Grains of silicon carbide can be bonded together to form hard ceramics which can be used in applications requiring high endurance such as car brakes, car clutches, and ceramic plates in bulletproof vests.
- Silicon carbide is also known as carborundum. Its powder has been mass produced since 1983 for use as an abrasive.
- Characteristics of silicon carbide include:
- High thermal conductivity of 120-270 w/mk
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion of 04x 10^-6/°C
- High maximum current density
- Silicon carbide is generally suitable for high power applications where high current, high temperature, and high thermal conductivity is required
Expanding Applications of Silicon Carbide Semiconductor in the Automotive Industry
- SiC module created by STMicroelectronics for vehicle Tesla and its Model 3 is a great example of adoption of Silicon carbide semiconductor
- According to the International Energy Agency, the global sales of electric vehicles are anticipated to reach 44 million per year by 2030, which in turn increases the demand for silicon carbide semiconductor based devices such as inverters and MOSFET.
- Silicon carbide semiconductors are mainly used in electric and hybrid electric vehicles (EV/HEV), as well as in automobile charging infrastructure, power supplies, rail, motor drives, and uninterruptible power supplies (UPS).
- The EV motor drives application is expected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Silicon carbide-based semiconductor devices can be used in industrial and commercial motor drives, electro-mechanical computing systems, and high-temperature sensors.
- Batteries made from silicon carbide semiconductor prevents loss of charge and ensures that electric vehicles (EV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) run for longer distances while reducing weight and cost of vehicle and increasing the efficiency.
Asia Pacific to Lead the Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market
- Automobile makers are developing lightweight vehicles that are economical, emit low carbon dioxide, and still give superior performance due to rising environmental concerns in Asia Pacific.
- Growing demand for lightweight vehicles is beneficial for silicon carbide semiconductor abrasive manufacturers. This is expected to positively impact the market growth during the forecast period.
- Developing economies in Asia Pacific are multiplying production of SiC based products in steel, automotive, electrical & electronics, and healthcare sectors.
- China, Japan, Indonesia, and India are seeing demand for electric vehicles, which in turn offers opportunities for silicon carbide semiconductor manufacturers.
- Asia Pacific holds the major market for cellular base stations and radio frequency devices, due to which it captures dominant share in the silicon carbide semiconductor market.
Key Players in the Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market Include:
- Infineon Technologies AG
- Cree, Inc.
- ROHM Co. Ltd.
- STMicroelectronics N.V.
- Fuji Electric Co. Ltd
Global Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market: Research Scope
Global Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market, by Device
- SIC Discrete Device
- SIC Diode
- SIC MOSFET
- SIC Module
- SIC Bare Die
Global Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market, by Wafer Size
- 2 Inch
- 4 Inch
- 6 Inch and Above
Global Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market, by Application
- Power Grid Devices
- Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTs)
- High-voltage, Direct Current Systems (HVCDs)
- Power Supplies and Inverters
- RF Devices & Cellular Base Stations
- Lighting Control Systems
- Industrial Motor Drives
- Flame Detectors
- EV Motor Drives
- EV Charging Stations
- Electronic Combat Systems
- Wind Turbines
- Solar Power Systems
Global Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market, by Vertical
- Energy & Power
- Renewable Power Generation
- Power Electronics
Global Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market, by Geography
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Rest of Europe
- North America
- Rest of North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.