Silicon Carbide Diodes: Introduction
- Silicon carbide is a semiconductor compound with superior power characteristics than silicon, which make it ideal for use in power electronics applications
- In a silicon carbide diode, a connection is formed between the semiconductor and the metal to create a Schottky barrier
- Silicon power diodes with the highest performance are known as Schottky barrier diodes. These diodes have the lowest reverse recovery time, which reduces switching losses and increases system efficiency.
- Silicon carbide diodes are available in low weight and small size, and at an affordable price. They offer high efficiency and operation at high temperatures, due to which they are increasingly used in applications such as solar inverters, telecom power supplies, switch-mode power supplies, uninterruptible power supplies, industrial motor drives, and electric vehicle charging stations.
- Silicon carbide diodes are employed in various end-use sectors such as automotive, industrial, and energy & utility
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Rise in Demand for Silicon Carbide Diodes in Power Supply Applications
- Silicon carbide diodes are largely used in power supply applications such as computers and telecommunications, as they have extremely low forward voltage drop, which helps reduce the power loss and increase the system efficiency
- Additionally, due to low forward voltage drop, silicon carbide diodes have higher switching speed than comparable p-n junction diodes
- Moreover, rise in the demand for renewable energy sources across the globe is also boosting the global silicon carbide diodes market, as these diodes are used in renewable energy systems, owing to their high reliability and reduced switching loss
- As a result of these advantages, the demand for silicon carbide diodes for use in electric and electronic applications is increasing. This is expected to drive the global silicon carbide diodes market during the forecast period.
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Global Market, Request for a Sample
Automotive Segment to Witness Lucrative Opportunities
- Based on end-use industry, the global silicon carbide diodes market can be segmented into automotive, industrial, and energy & utility
- The automotive industry has emerged as an attractive sector for investments for organizations across the globe. In this sector, silicon carbide diodes are increasingly used in electric vehicles and electric vehicle charging stations. Several manufacturers of silicon carbide diodes are focusing on providing products with high efficiency, high-frequency operations, reduction in the system cost and complexity, and low switching loss.
- Additionally, use of silicon carbide diodes in automobiles is beneficial, as it makes power conversion systems in electric vehicle charging stations more reliable
- Thus, increase in use of silicon carbide diodes in the automotive industry is expected to offer lucrative opportunities to the global silicon carbide diodes market during the forecast period
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market
- In terms of region, the global silicon carbide diodes market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to dominate the global silicon carbide diodes market throughout the forecast period, due to rising demand for electric vehicles and increasing focus on renewable energy generation in China and South Korea
- The silicon carbide diodes market in North America and Europe is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate rate during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market
The global silicon carbide diodes market was highly fragmented in 2018. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansions to meet the risen demand for silicon carbide diodes. Moreover, manufacturers are entering into partnerships for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global silicon carbide diodes market are:
- Creed Inc. (Wolfspeed)
- Fuji Electric Co., Ltd.
- Infineon Technologies AG
- Littelfuse, Inc.
- Microchip Technology Inc. (Microsemi)
- Renesas Electronics Corporation
- ROHM Co., Ltd.
- Semiconductor Components Industries, LLC
- Skyworks Solutions, Inc.
- WeEn Semiconductors
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market: Research Scope
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market, by Voltage Range
- 0 V to 600 V
- 601 V to 1,200 V
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market, by Application
- Solar Inverters
- Telecom Power Supplies
- Switch-mode Power Supplies
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies
- Industrial Motor Drives
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market, by End-use Industry
- Energy & Utility
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.