Silicon Carbide Diodes Market: Introduction
- Silicon carbide diodes are the Schottky diodes which offer high switching performance, efficiency, power density, and low system costs. The diode also provides zero reverse recovery, low forward voltage drop, current stability, high surge voltage capability, and positive temperature coefficient.
- Silicon carbide diodes have various applications such as in photovoltaic solar inverters, electric vehicle chargers, power supplies, and automotive applications. These diodes have low leakage current and high doping as compared to silicon. Also, the direct characterization of silicon changes at high temperature.
- Further, the benefits of silicon carbide diodes includes improved system efficiency, low switching losses, low noise switching, high reliability with high increased power density, and low system cost.
Advantages of silicon carbide diodes over other diodes
- Silicon carbide diodes have low reverse recovery time and lowest forward voltage drop as compared to other diodes. It also has the advantage of low forward losses and negligible switching losses. These features make the diode ideal for power electronics applications.
- Apart from silicon carbide diodes, Gallium arsenide (GaAs) Schottky rectifiers are considered as next generation power components. However, Gallium arsenide has found limited acceptance due to high costs as compared to silicon.
- Another advantage of silicon carbide diode is temperature stability over a wide operating range. This allows parallel connection of multiple devices and also prevents thermal runaway. All these advantages are increasing the adoption of silicon carbide diodes across the globe.
Increasing demand for silicon carbide in electric vehicles creating opportunity
- In electric, hybrid, and fuel cell vehicles, efficiency, size, and cost plays a major role and hence silicon carbide devices are suitable. Silicon carbide also offers temperature stability and operating capability in high temperature which is suitable for electric vehicles.
- Moreover, silicon carbide eliminates the liquid cooling technology from vehicles. Hence, the acceptance of silicon carbide devices in these vehicles is creating high demand for silicon carbide diodes in the market.
High costs associated with silicon carbide diodes
- One of the main obstacles in the adoption of silicon carbide diodes is cost as it is five times costlier than silicon fast recovery diodes. In addition, silicon carbide is difficult to process compared to silicon. For instance, costly ion implementation is used for doping due to low diffusion rate. Also, reactive ion etching with fluorine based plasma is performed on silicon carbide diodes. This increases the cost and limits the device structures to be built.
Asia Pacific to lead the Global Market
- In terms of region, the silicon carbide diodes market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- The silicon carbide diodes market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period.
- This growth is attributed to a wide range of applications in automobile, and other industries, adoption of silicon carbide diode over other devices due to its benefits, increasing investment in electric vehicles, and rising industrialization, among other factors. This is expected to increase the demand for silicon carbide diode products.
- The silicon carbide diodes market in North America and Europe is expected to show high growth rate due to presence of major players and focus of manufacturers on cost of production. The market in Middle East & Africa is likely to witness slow growth rate.
Key Players in the Global Market
The global silicon carbide diodes market was highly concentrated. Prominent players operating in the global market are focusing on product launch and technological developments to gain competitive advantage.
Key players operating in the global silicon carbide diodes market include:
- Infineon Technologies AG
- ON Semiconductor
- GeneSic Semiconductor
- Allegro MicroSystems, LLC
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market: Research Scope
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market, by Industry Vertical
- Energy and Utility
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market, by Application
- Solar Inverters
- Telecom Power Supplies
- Switch-mode Power Supplies
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies
- Industrial Motor Drives
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.