Sigmoidoscope Market: Initial Screening Tool for Examining Cancer Growth and Other Colorectal Diseases
- Sigmoidoscopy is a procedure or examination of the lower part of the gastrointestinal tract called the colon or large intestine for determining the cause of any colon disease. This endoscopy is done for visual examination by using a flexible tube with a light on it. This tube is called sigmoidoscope.
- Several colon diseases and conditions such as ulcers, polyps, Crohn’s disease, and cancer are diagnosed by initial screening by sigmoidoscope. This sigmoidoscopy procedure can be done if changes in bowel habits, rectal bleeding, abdominal pain, and unexplained weight loss and other related symptoms are observed for further screening.
- A doctor inserts sigmoidoscope into anus and pushes it to rectum and sigmoid colon for visual examination. This tube has a light and a very small camera on the end for transmitting images onto a monitor for the doctor to examine internal parts.
- The entire procedure can take 10 to 20 minutes and most widely used for screening of colon malignancy in older people. A small sample for biopsy is taken for further examination.
Get a Glimpse of the In-Depth Analysis through our Comprehensive Sigmoidoscope Market Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Sigmoidoscope Market
- Increase in prevalence of colorectal cancer and growing aging population which is more prone to gastrointestinal diseases are some of the major factors responsible for the growth of the global sigmoidoscope market
- For instance, as per the American Cancer Society (ACS) data, an estimated 145,600 adults in the U.S. diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 2019 which included 101,420 new cases of colon cancer and 44,180 new cases of rectal cancer
- Changing lifestyle, increase in alcohol consumption, smoking, and unhealthy diet are some of the major factors responsible for gastrointestinal diseases and infections which need a proper examination if the condition worsened. Hence, these changing lifestyle habits drive the global sigmoidoscope market.
- Technologically advanced products offered by major companies which shorten the procedure time and offer other features are also fuelling the growth of the global sigmoidoscope market
Higher cost of Endoscopy to Hamper Market
- High cost of endoscopy procedure and unfavorable reimbursement scenario in developing countries are some of the factors which are likely to restrain the global sigmoidoscope market during the forecast period
- Lack of skilled health care professionals in developing countries to handle the procedure is also hampering the growth of the global sigmoidoscope market
Flexible Sigmoidoscope to be More Lucrative Segment
- Based on Product type, the global sigmoidoscope market can be bifurcated into flexible sigmoidoscope and rigid sigmoidoscope
- Flexible sigmoidoscope is anticipated to be a more promising segment during the forecast period, owing to comparatively better patient comfort and greater diagnostic yield by this type
- Flexible sigmoidoscope is made of a flexible fiber optic tube having length up to 60 cm which can reach further than rigid sigmoidoscope for examination
Diagnosis Segment Accounted for Major Market Share
- Based on application, the global sigmoidoscope market can be divided into diagnosis, monitoring, and others
- The diagnosis segment dominated the global sigmoidoscope market during the forecast period, owing to rise in prevalence of gastrointestinal diseases & colorectal cancer, people emphasis on early detection of diseases, and growing number of examination for diagnosis of these conditions
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Sigmoidoscope Market Report
Clinics Segment to be Highly Lucrative Segment
- In terms of end-user, the global sigmoidoscope market can be segmented into hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, clinics, and others
- The hospitals segment accounted for major market share in the global market due to rise in hospital admissions of patients suffering from colon complications and availability of advanced products
- The clinics segment is anticipated to be a highly lucrative segment, growing with a high CAGR during the forecast period. Increase in adoption of innovative tools at clinics and inclination of people toward specialized consultant for specific indication are some of the major factors responsible for the growth of this segment.
North America to Lead Global Market for Sigmoidoscope
- In terms of region, the global Sigmoidoscope market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global sigmoidoscope market in 2018, owing to increase in prevalence of colon cancer & other gastrointestinal diseases, presence of major players, and early adoption rate of people for advanced products
- For instance, according to The Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA), around 70,000 new cases of inflammatory bowel disease are diagnosed in the U.S. each year
- The market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a high CAGR during the forecast period, owing to increase in aging population with higher ratio of colorectal cancer, rise in awareness about gastrointestinal diseases & their diagnosis, and growing focus of major players in this region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in global Market
Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Olympus Corporation
- Welch Allyn
- KARL STORZ SE & Co. KG
- PENTAX Medical
- FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation
- Parburch Medical Ltd.
- Bolton Surgical Ltd.
- HEINE Optotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
- HMB Endoscopy Products
- Pal Surgicals
Global Sigmoidoscope Market: Research Scope
Global Sigmoidoscope Market, by Product Type
- Flexible Sigmoidoscope
- Rigid Sigmoidoscope
Global Sigmoidoscope Market, by Application
Global Sigmoidoscope Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.