Shigella Infection Treatment Market: Introduction
- Shigella infection, also termed as shigellosis, is an intestinal disease caused by the bacteria family of shigella. Shigella infection is easier to transmit in the body through stool with bacteria. The major symptom of shigella infection is bloody diarrhea. Shigella infection is likely to be transmitted through contaminated water or food or while swimming in contaminated water. The most common target for shigella infection is children aged under 5. Recovery happens in a week for mild shigella infection. Major signs and symptoms include bloody diarrhea, abdominal pain or cramps, or even fever. Some infected patients do not show symptoms for many weeks. Risk factors for shigella infection are living in childcare centers, nursing homes, jails, community pools, or in an area, which lacks sanitization or hygiene. Complications caused due to shigella infections include dehydration, seizures, hemolytic uremic syndrome, rectal prolapse, hemolytic uremic syndrome, and reactive arthritis. In case of shigella infection, prevention is better than cure.
- According to the CDC, globally, shigella infection is likely to cause 80 million to 165 million cases each year, with around 600,000 deaths annually. Among these, 20 million to 119 million cases and 6,900 to 30,000 deaths are due to contaminated food. Shigella infection is detected in the stool of 5% of 18% patients suffering from travelers’ diarrhea. According to CDC research, in Australia and Canada, 40% to 50% of shigella transmission cases are attributed to international travel. Shigella infection is likely to be caused by S. sonnei in industrialized areas and S. flexneri in the developing countries. Prevalence of shigella infection is higher in countries with tropical and temperate climates.
Request a Sample to Get Extensive Insights into the Shigella Infection Treatment Market
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Shigella Infection Treatment Market
- Increase in incidence of shigella infection across the globe is a major driver of the global shigella infection treatment market. Developing countries in Asia and Africa are projected to drive the global shigella infection treatment market. Rise in research & development on novel drugs and limited sanitation & poor hygiene leading to increase in burden of shigella infections are the other factors boosting the global market. Lack of vaccination for shigella infection is another factor propelling the development of shigella infection treatment. Emergence of antibiotic resistant strains across the world drives the development of effective treatments for the infection. Moreover, public health measures for safe water and proper sanitation are likely to reduce the burden of shigella infection across the globe. Furthermore, rise in awareness about shigella infection is likely to boost the need of the effective treatment. Focus on the awareness about the multidrug-resistant (MDR) shigellae and resistance of the cephalosporin, fluoroquinolone, and azithromycin antibiotics are estimated to propel development of advanced treatment for shigella infection.
- Ongoing clinical trials and studies on development of treatment or drugs for combating shigella species, especially in countries such as China, Vietnam, Thailand, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Thailand, and Indonesia, is likely to augment the global market. The most common shigella species found in countries in Asia and Africa are S. flexneri, S. dysenteriae, and S. sonnei. This enables companies to focus on and invest in research & development in these countries. Shigella is considered a causative agent in 5% of the diarrhea cases. Hence, effective treatment is required to tackle the spread of shigella infection. Awareness about proper sanitation is likely to lessen the burden of shigella infection across the globe. Moreover, poor hygiene and sanitization systems in some countries in Asia and Africa are expected to boost the growth of the global shigella infection treatment market.
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Shigella Infection Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global shigella infection treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is projected to dominate the global shigella infection treatment market during the forecast period. This is attributed to increase in burden of shigella infection in countries in Asia such as China, India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Thailand, poor hygiene & sanitation, surge in health care expenditure, rise in research & development of antibiotics, increase in awareness about multidrug-resistant shigella, and fast approval of novel treatments. Moreover, presence of key players focused on developing drugs and shift in government focus toward developing health policies are the major factors driving the shigella infection treatment market in the region.
- Middle East & Africa was the second largest market for shigella infection treatments in 2019, followed by Europe and North America. Increase in incidence of shigella infections due to less access to clean water, sanitation, nutrition, and underdeveloped health care infrastructure are expected to drive the shigella infection treatment market in Middle East & Africa. According to the Global Enteric Multicenter Study, shigella infection is most common in children aged 2 years to 5 years, and combination of E. coli and shigella has been identified to be most pathogenic in pediatric patients. This is likely to augment the shigella infection treatment market in the region. Shigella is considered a major factor for the increase in incidence of diarrhea, which is anticipated to fuel the growth of the market in the region.
Looking for Customized Insights to build your Business for Future, Ask for a Custom Report here
Key Players Operating in Global Shigella Infection Treatment Market
The global shigella infection treatment market is fragmented, with presence of a large number of small and large players. Major players operating in the global shigella infection treatment market are:
- Emergent BioSolutions, Inc.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- LimmaTech Biologics AG
- Zydus Cadila
- Aurobindo Pharma
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Fresenius Kabi AG
- Novartis AG
- Mylan N.V.
- Lupin Limited
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Other Key Prominent Players
Global Shigella Infection Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Shigella Infection Treatment Market, by Species Type
- Shigella Sonnei
- Shigella Flexneri
- Shigella Boydii
- Shigella Dysenteriae
Global Shigella Infection Treatment Market, by Drug Class
- Beta-lactams Antibiotics
- Third-generation Cephalosporins
Global Shigella Infection Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Shigella Infection Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.