Serial (SPI) NOR Flash Market: Introduction
- NOR flash memory is a non-volatile storage technology. NOR is mostly used for code execution. NOR flash memory requires higher power when it is first powered on; however, the standby power requirement for NOR is considerably low.
- NOR is generally better for random reads from memory. For instance, a smartphone or tablet utilizes embedded NOR to boot up the operating system (OS). NOR delivers far better read performance than a comparable NAND device.
- NOR delivers fast read performance, which means NOR is best suited in cases when a limited amount of data needs to be stored
- Serial flash devices require fewer connections to the circuit board as compared to parallel flash devices. Serial NOR uses a less complex interface than parallel NOR, which means that it costs less to manufacture serial NOR storage devices.
Rise in demand in embedded electronics, IoT devices, and automotive electronics.
- Major applications for NOR flash memory is embedded electronics. NOR flash is commonly used in consumer devices such as tablets and smartphones. Devices that have a relatively lightweight operating system employ serial NOR flash. NOR’s characteristically fast read performance enables the OS to be booted far more rapidly than NAND.
- NOR is also an excellent choice for use in embedded systems, as these systems tend to read code during the boot process but perform few write operations
- Evolution of technologies such as 5G has fueled the demand for faster operating devices. Therefore, NOR flash memories can be used along with NAND in electronic devices, NOR for faster read operations and NAND for comparably higher write and erase function. Consequently, applications such smartphones, smart watches, medical devices, portable devices, and devices having smaller operating systems extensively utilize NOR flash memory.
- NOR flash memory is more expensive than NAND and has lower code saturation space, which in turn is hampering the serial NOR flash memory market
Asia Pacific to Hold Prominent Share of Global Market
- Asia Pacific is estimated to account for a notable share of the global serial NOR flash market, owing to the presence of a prominent electronics industry and the presence of major players in the region
- The serial NOR flash market looks to be concentrated in Asia and Europe; major market share is held by these regions only
- North America is estimated to gain market share and offer significant opportunity for the serial NOR flash market during the forecast period
- The automotive, industrial (IIoT), networking, and communication sectors in the region are also estimated to offer considerable opportunities for the market during the forecast period
Key Players in Global Serial (SPI) NOR Flash Market
Key players include:
Serial (SPI) NOR Flash Market Scope
Serial (SPI) NOR Flash Market, by Type
- High Density Memory
- Low Density Memory
Serial (SPI) NOR Flash Market, by Application
Serial (SPI) NOR Flash Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!