Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Market: Introduction
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that occurs during a certain season of the year. This disorder is related to fluctuation in seasons; especially occurs in winter, but some people could have it during summer. Seasonal affective disorder is most prevalent in women, people between the ages of 15 to 55, and people who live far from the equator where winter daylight hours are too short. Common symptoms of SAD are hopelessness, increased appetite, weight gain, loss of ability to concentrate, and social withdrawal, among others. Risk factors associated with this disorder are depressive disorders such as bipolar II disorder, bipolar I disorder, and others.
- The global seasonal affective disorder (SAD) market can be segmented based on type, end-user, treatment, test type, and region. In terms of type, the global market can be classified into fall & winter, spring & summer, and others. Based on test type, the global seasonal affective disorder market can be categorized into psychological evaluation, lab tests, and others. The lab tests segment can be split into thyroid blood test, CBC, and others. The psychological evaluation segment can be segregated into personality tests, intelligence tests, attitude tests, achievement tests, neuropsychological tests, aptitude tests, vocational tests, direct observation tests, and others. In terms of treatment, the global seasonal affective disorder market can be divided into light therapy, psychotherapy, medications, counselling, and others. The medications segment can be bifurcated into antidepressants and others. The antidepressants sub-segment can be split into reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and others. The psychotherapy segment can be categorized into attachment-based psychotherapy, art therapy, behavioral therapy, cognitive analytical therapy (CAT), body psychotherapy, existential psychotherapy, gestalt therapy, and others. Based on end-user, the global market can be divided into clinics, hospitals, research institutes, and others.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Market
- A range of drugs and devices for treatment of seasonal affective disorder treatment are available in the market. Light therapy is utilized as the first line of therapy for seasonal affective disorder. Devices including light boxes, dawn stimulators, desk lamps, and sun visors are available in the market as light therapy for seasonal affective disorder.
- Both branded and generic drugs for seasonal affective disorder treatment are available in developed and emerging economies. Citalopram and Buproban are the most commonly used drugs for seasonal affective disorder. A number of generic options for Citalopram and Buproban are also available in the market. Therefore, easy availability of seasonal affective disorder therapeutics is projected to drive the global market.
- Experts have indicated that improper seasonal affective disorder therapeutics could have severe side effects. Dosage should be reduced in order to prevent these side effects. Adjunctive light therapy should begin with a dose titration of 7,000 lux, 4000 K blue enriched broad-spectrum white light for 15 minutes per day at midday around 2.30 pm. Then 15 minutes should be added each week until the dosage reaches a range of 45 minutes to 60 minutes per day. Average time to response and remission varies between four and six weeks. Continuous patient-physician engagement leads to better seasonal affective disorder treatment outcomes.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Market
- North America is projected to dominate the global market in terms of share during the forecast period owing to rise in prevalence of seasonal depression. Around 5% of the population of the U.S. suffers from seasonal affective disorder. This is attributed to changing lifestyles and increase in awareness about seasonal depression and its treatment.
- Asia Pacific has less prevalence of seasonal affective disorder. Rise in awareness, increase in the geriatric population, and surge in medical tourism in emerging economies such as China and India are expected to boost the growth of the market in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Market
The global seasonal affective disorder (SAD) market is highly fragmented due to the presence of large number of key players. These players hold a major share in their respective regions. Leading players operating in the global seasonal affective disorder (SAD) market are:
- Allergan plc
- Eli Lily Company
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Bausch Health Companies, Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
- Mylan N.V.
- Sanofi AG
- Novartis AG
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- The Sunbox Company
- Verilux, Inc.
- Carex Health
- Northern Light Technologies
- Beurer GmbH
- Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Global Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Market: Research Scope
Global Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Market, by Type
- Fall & Winter
- Spring & Summer
Global Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Market, by End-user
- Research Institutes
Global Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Market, by Test Type
- Lab Tests
- Thyroid Blood Test
- Psychological Evaluation
- Intelligence Test
- Personality Test
- Attitude Test
- Achievement Test
- Aptitude Test
- Neuropsychological Test
- Vocational Test
- Direct Observation Test
Global Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Market, by Treatment
- Light Therapy
- Art Therapy
- Attachment-based Psychotherapy
- Behavioral Therapy
- Body Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Analytical Therapy (CAT)
- Existential Psychotherapy
- Gestalt Therapy
Global Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.