Scleral Lens Market: Introduction
- The two main types of materials of contact lenses are soft and hard or rigid. Scleral lens is a type of hard or rigid material contact lens, and it’s generally larger in diameter than other contact lenses. Scleral lenses differ from corneal GP (gas permeable) lenses based on their size (diameter) and fitting characteristics. Corneal gas permeable contact lenses are supported exclusively by the cornea and do not extend past the limbus. Scleral lenses are vault over the entire corneal surface and rest of sclera. These lenses are preferred in cases where there is need to morph irregular cornea into a smooth optical surface, which helps correct vision issues caused by severe dry eye syndrome, microphthalmia, keratoconus, Stevens–Johnson syndrome, and Sjögren's syndrome.
- Scleral lenses are customized according to the shape of the individual eye they are being fitted to. They are designed in such a way that they gently land on the sclera of the patient without any compressing or exerting any stress to the underlying tissue. Scleral lenses completely cover the cornea and extend onto the sclera. In terms of size (diameter), scleral lens can be classified into three categories: corneo-scleral, mini-scleral lenses, and full Scleral. Semi- scleral contact lenses are considered corneo-sclerals.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global Scleral Lens Market
- The fact that Scleral lens are used when other contact lens do not prove effective. Scleral lenses help a patient who is unable to find the right contact lenses that resolves his/her vision issues. In terms of comfort, visual clarity, and stability, scleral lens is a better option than gas permeable lenses. Patients having ocular surface disease often benefit from a scleral lens with a larger overall diameter, which in due course requires advanced toric peripheral systems in order to align with the sclera. In cases related to corneal irregularity or severe sensitivity, scleral lenses are often the only viable option. These benefits offered by scleral lens is driving the global market.
- Cost and convenience are major restraints of the global scleral lens market. Scleral lenses are customized according to individual needs and the fitting process requires special attention, which gets reflected in the total cost of these lenses. Furthermore, a specially trained optometrist is required to fit the lens, and the whole process is time consuming, which is a major restraint for the global scleral lens market.
- Advancements in R&D of lens design are estimated to offer further opportunities in the global Scleral market enabling manufacturers to design scleral lenses, such as bifocal Sclerals, which are helpful to resolve various conditions including the correction of presbyopia
Asia Pacific to Capture Major Share of Global Scleral Lens Market
- Asia Pacific is the leading region of the global scleral market. The region is home to around 62% of the total world population with visual impairment issues, and around 90% of vision loss is avoidable. Around 510 million people who have refractive vision error are benefitting from scleral lenses. Numerous patients with ocular surface disease could potentially benefit from scleral lenses. Increase in awareness about scleral lens is attributed to the major share held by Asia Pacific in the global scleral lens market.
- According to Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (USA) Vision Health Initiative, approximately 12 million people 40 year and above in the U.S. have vision impairment, and 8 million have vision impairment due to uncorrected refractive error. Furthermore, more than half of them did not seek of eye care due to a lack of awareness or high cost. North America is projected to account for the second-largest share of the global scleral lens market owing to an increase in the number of curable patients suffering from vision impairment due to corneal steepness or irregularity, which can be cured with the assistance of scleral lens.
Key Players Operating in Scleral Lens Market
The global scleral lens treatment market is highly fragmented, with the presence of various key players. A large number of manufacturers hold a major share in their respective regions. Major players operating in the global scleral lens market are:
- ABB Optical Group
- Bausch & Lomb
- Visionary Optics
- Art Optical Contact Lens, Inc.
- Tru-Form Optics
Global Scleral Lens Market: Research Scope
Global Scleral Lens Market, by Size
- Corneo Scleral Lenses
- Mini Scleral
- Full Scleral Lenses
Global Scleral Lens Market, by Distribution
- Hospital pharmacies
- Eye Clinics
- Online Pharmacies
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.