RNA Sequencing Market: Introduction
- RNA-Seq is a sequencing technique that utilizes next-generation sequencing (NGS) to reveal the presence along with the quantity of RNA in a biological sample at a given moment, analyzing the continuously changing cellular transcriptome. RNA-Seq facilitates the capability to look at alternative gene spliced transcripts, gene fusion, mutations/SNPs, post-transcriptional modifications, and changes in gene expression over time, or differences in gene expression in different groups or treatments. Additionally, RNA-Seq could look at different populations of RNA to include small RNA, total RNA, such as tRNA, miRNA, and ribosomal profiling. RNA-Seq could also be utilized to determine exon/intron boundaries and to verify or amend previously annotated 5' and 3' gene boundaries.
- The RNA Sequencing market can be segmented based on type, technology, application, end-user, and region. Based on type, the market can be categorized into product, data analysis and management, sequencing platforms, and consumables & services. Based on end-user, the market can be split into hospitals and diagnostic centers, academic and research institutes, pharmaceutical & biotechnology companies, and others. In terms of technology, the market can be segregated into sequencing by synthesis, single molecule real time sequencing, nanopore sequencing, and Ion semiconductor sequencing. Based on application, the RNA sequencing market can be split into expression profiling analysis, De Novo transcriptome assembly, small RNA sequencing, transcriptome analysis, and variant calling.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global RNA Sequencing Market
- Increase in demand for RNA sequencing platforms over traditional technologies is due to the fact that RNA-sequencing has higher sensitivity for genes expressed either at lower or very high level and higher dynamic range of expression levels over which transcripts could be detected (>8000-fold range). Furthermore, the capabilities of high-throughput sequencing methods to deliver insight into the transcriptome of a cell, as compared to previous conventional technologies, and recent advancement in the RNA-Sequencing workflow, from sample preparation to library construction to data analysis altogether plays as a RNA Sequencing are estimated to be major drivers of the market during the forecast period.
- Key challenges for the market are the requirement for highly skilled professionals, high initial capital investment on infrastructure, and the problems associated with storage of sequencing data. RNA-based mappings depend on cDNA synthesis, which poses a challenge in short-lived transcripts including primary microRNAs, the efficiency of which is dependent on RNA sequence and structure.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global RNA Sequencing Market
North America has dominated the RNA sequencing market and held a major share in 2020. The application of RNA Sequencing has been increasing considerably for the last few years due to an increase in research activities on cancer as well as inherited rare diseases. Furthermore, rising government support through funds for genomics research, rising cases of target diseases, advancements in RNA-Seq products, growing research on cancer & inherited rare diseases, and the strong presence of key players including Thermo Fisher (US), Illumina (US), and Agilent Technologies (US) are further boosting the RNA sequencing market in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global RNA Sequencing Market
The global RNA sequencing market is highly fragmented, with the presence of various key players. A large number of manufacturers hold a major share in their respective regions. Major players operating in the global RNA sequencing market are:
- Thermo Fischer Scientific
- Agilent Technologies Inc.
- Illumina, Tecan Genomics Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
- PerkinElmer Inc.
- GE Healthcare
- Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
- Sigma Aldrich
- Eurofins Scientific
- Oxford Nanopore Technologies
Global RNA Sequencing Market: Research Scope
Global RNA Sequencing Market, by Type
- Data Analysis and Management
- Sequencing Platforms and Consumables
Global RNA Sequencing Market, by Technology
- Sequencing by Synthesis
- Single Molecule Real Time Sequencing
- Nanopore Sequencing
- Ion Semiconductor Sequencing
Global RNA Sequencing Market, by Application
- Expression Profiling Analysis
- De Novo Transcriptome Assembly
- Small RNA Sequencing
- Transcriptome Analysis
- Variant Calling
Global RNA Sequencing Market, by End-user
- Hospitals and Diagnostic Centers
- Academic and Research Institutes
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
Global RNA Sequencing Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East &Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa