Ring Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV): Introduction
- Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) is an electronic component required for protection in power supply circuits that are powered directly from AC mains. It helps protect the circuit from high voltage surges by varying its resistance, which improves the performance of the circuit.
- Ring metal oxide varistor is a kind of resistor that is sensitive to voltage and varies with respect to voltage, over a wide range of current and voltage
- The resistor body data of the ring varistor is made of semiconductor; hence, it is a semiconductor resistor. “Zinc oxide” (ZnO) ring-shaped varistors are widely used, as they are built using a divalent element (Zn) and a hexavalent element (O).
- Ring metal oxide varistor is simply a variable resistor, as it can change its resistance according to the applied voltage, i.e., if the voltage across the varistor increases, the resistance decreases. This feature is required to protect the circuits from high voltage spikes. Therefore, ring metal oxide varistors are preferred in electronic networks for surge protection.
Rise in Demand for Ring Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) Globally
- The ring metal oxide varistor is extensively utilized as a motor noise solution in various devices such as windshield wipers, power windows, and power seats in automobiles. It is connected to a commutator of a DC motor and works as a surge protection device by absorbing and reducing the noise and preventing the spark.
- The ring metal oxide varistor (MOV) is primarily used as a voltage clamping device, and it can be employed for various voltage and current ranges. It is useful in absorbing short-term voltage transients having high energy handling capability.
- The ring MOV is essential for over-voltage protection, line to line protection, arching protection, switching protection and voltage spike protection, which in turn is fueling the global ring metal oxide varistor (MOV) market
North America to Lead Global Ring Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) Market
- North America is expected to dominate the global ring metal oxide varistor (MOV) market due to a rise in the rate of adoption of IoT connected devices that requires ring metal oxide varistor; on the other hand, the large presence of different local manufacturers in North America is further fueling the ring metal oxide varistor (MOV) market
- Rapid expansion of the electronics and communication industries in Asia Pacific is boosting the demand for ring MOVs, which are extensively utilized in various applications in the electronic and communication industries to protect the circuit and its components
- Rise in demand for IT hardware in East Asia and South Asia and the Pacific is also boosting the ring metal oxide varistor (MOV) market in the region, which is creating significant opportunities for market players in these regions to boost their manufacturing capacity
Key Players of Global Ring Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) Market
- MEIDENSHA Corporation
- TOSHIBA Corporation
- ABB Ltd.
- MacLean Power Systems
- OTOWA Electric
- SIEMENS AG
- Semitec Corporation
- Kestar Electronic
- Sinochip Electronics
Global Ring Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) Market: Research Scope
Global Ring Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) Market, by Product Type
- Low Voltage Metal Oxide Varistor
- High Voltage - Medium Voltage Metal Oxide Varistor
Global Ring Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) Market, by Application
- Consumer Electronics
- Home Appliance
- Industrial Equipment
- Gas and Petroleum
Global Ring Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa