Retinoscopes are instruments used by optometrists to examine patients for refractive errors. The principle of retinoscopes is based on objective refraction technique, where the instrument is used by the optometrist to illuminate the cornea and measure the rays reflected by the inner eye. The instrument measures the objective refraction of light rays reflected back and the measure of deviation or refraction enables the optometrist to determine presence of any sort of refractive error. The optometrist has to perform various tests with different lenses used in retinoscopes to get an accurate result of the refraction in a patient’s eyes. Retinoscopy has been followed by optometrists and other eye health practitioners for years, and has been one of the most efficient and effective methods of determining refractive errors.
The global retinoscopes market has been segmented based on product type, end-user, and region. In terms of product type, the market has been segmented into hand held retinoscopes and table top retinoscopes. The hand held retinoscopes segment dominated the global retinoscopes market in 2016, owing to factors such as ease of handling, growing demand among optometrists and ophthalmologists, and major players along with domestic players offering new products in this segment. Based on end-user, the market has been categorized into hospitals, optometry clinics, optical centers, and others. The optometry clinics segment is expected to dominate the global retinoscopes market during the forecast period, owing to rising number of independent optometrists and increasing patient preference for clinics for eye examinations.
Rising incidence of refractive errors such as hyperopia, myopia, presbyopia, and astigmatism, increasing geriatric population, and onset of online and retail stores offering vision correction instruments for patients suffering from refractive errors are factors expected to drive the global retinoscopes market during the forecast period. According to the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB), an estimated 130 million people in the world were suffering from refractive errors in 2012, which led to an economic cost in lost productivity of US$ 250 Bn. Prevalence of refractive errors such as myopia, hyperopia, presbyopia, and astigmatism is increasing at a rapid pace which in turn is expected to propel the market from 2017 to 2025.
In terms of region, the global retinoscopes market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America dominated the global retinoscopes market in 2016, owing to large population base suffering from myopia, presbyopia, and astigmatism, along with rising demand for hand held retinoscopes among optometrists. According to Prevent Blindness America, prevalence of myopia in the U.S. was estimated to be around 23.9% in 2015, with 34 million people suffering from myopia. The American Association of Ophthalmology (AAO) estimated that out of the total estimated population requiring vision correction in 2014, only 45% received an eye exam. By 2020, the number of patients requiring vision correction is expected to reach 196 million in the U.S. alone. Large undiagnosed population in the U.S., suffering from refractive errors, is expected to propel the growth of the retinoscopes market in North America during 2017-2025. Asia Pacific is expected to register highest CAGR owing to factors such as alarming increase in patient population suffering from refractive errors including myopia especially in countries such as China, Singapore, and other south-east Asian countries, along with developing health care infrastructure in the region.
Major players in the global retinoscopes market include Welch Allyn (Hill Rom Holdings, Inc.), Zumax Medical Co., Ltd., Keeler Ltd., and HEINE Optotechnik GmbH & Co. KG.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.