Retinitis Pigmentosa: Introduction
- Retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is a group of rare, genetic disorders that involve breakdown and loss of cells in the retina, which is the light sensitive tissue that lines the back of the eye. Common symptoms include difficulty in seeing at night and a loss of side (peripheral) vision.
- According to the National Eye Institute, retinitis pigmentosa affects roughly 1 in 4,000 people, both in the U.S. and globally
- Retinitis pigmentosa is caused due to harmful changes in any one of more than 50 genes. These genes produce a protein called photoreceptors. Due to some mutation or changes, these genes cannot produce the protein, resulting in retinitis pigmentosa.
Key Drivers of Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market
- Increase in number of patients with retinitis pigmentosa, rich product pipeline, and rise in financial support for researchers for developing new innovative drugs for treatment of retinitis pigmentosa are projected to drive the global retinitis pigmentosa market during the forecast period. Additionally, increase in special designation from the regulatory authorities to offer a treatment to the patients as quickly as possible is propelling the market.
- High demand for disease-specific novel treatments and advancement in treatments such as gene therapy and retinal transplantation are anticipated to boost the growth of the global market during the forecast period
- However, limited treatment options and low health care expenditure in some developing countries are expected to restrain the global market
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market Report
Autosomal Recessive Inheritance to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of type, the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market can be classified into autosomal recessive inheritance, autosomal dominant inheritance, and X-linked inheritance
- The autosomal recessive inheritance segment accounted for the largest share of the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market in 2019. The segment is likely to dominate the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market due to high number of patients with autosomal recessive inheritance.
- Drugs Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Based on treatment type, the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market can be categorized into drugs, devices, and surgery. The drugs segment can be split into vitamin A, acetazolamide, and others. The devices segment can be bifurcated into sunglasses and implants. The surgery segment can be segregated into retinal transplantation and corneal neurotization.
- Drugs was the largest segment in terms of revenue in 2019 and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period. This can be attributed to launch of products for treatment of retinitis pigmentosa by major manufacturers. MeiraGTx Limited and Janssen Pharmaceuticals signed collaboration agreement to develop new product (AAV-RPGR) for X-linked inheritance retinitis pigmentosa treatment. MeiraGTx Limited has one innovative product in pipeline i.e., phase 1/2 for treatment of X-linked inheritance retinitis pigmentosa.
Hospitals Pharmacies Segment to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of distribution channel, the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market can be divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies. Hospital pharmacies was the largest segment in terms of revenue in 2019 and the trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period, as most major products are prescription products, and are available in hospital pharmacies.
North America to Dominate Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market in 2019 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. The region’s dominance can be attributed to increase in research & development activities by major players, rise in product offerings, greater affordability, and surge in demand for early treatment.
- The market in Asia Pacific is likely to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period, owing to increase in adoption of new products and rise in demand for retinitis pigmentosa treatment in emerging countries such as India and China
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market
The global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key players operating in the global market are:
- Orphagen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Astellas Pharma, Inc.
- Clino Corporation
- Caladrius, Spark Therapeutics, Inc.
- Gensight Biologics
- Grupo Ferrer International, S.A.
- InFlectis BioScience
- Nanovector S.r.l
- Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- MeiraGTx Limited
Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market, by Type
- Autosomal Recessive Inheritance
- Autosomal Dominant Inheritance
- X-linked Inheritance
Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market, by Treatment Type
- Vitamin A
- Retinal Transplantation
- Corneal Neurotization
Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.