Retinitis Pigmentosa: Introduction
- Retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is a group of rare, genetic disorders that involve breakdown and loss of cells in the retina, which is the light sensitive tissue that lines the back of the eye. Common symptoms include difficulty in seeing at night and a loss of side (peripheral) vision.
- According to the National Eye Institute, retinitis pigmentosa affects roughly 1 in 4,000 people, both in the U.S. and globally
- Retinitis pigmentosa is caused due to harmful changes in any one of more than 50 genes. These genes produce a protein called photoreceptors. Due to some mutation or changes, these genes cannot produce the protein, resulting in retinitis pigmentosa.
Key Drivers of Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market
- Increase in number of patients with retinitis pigmentosa, rich product pipeline, and rise in financial support for researchers for developing new innovative drugs for treatment of retinitis pigmentosa are projected to drive the global retinitis pigmentosa market during the forecast period. Additionally, increase in special designation from the regulatory authorities to offer a treatment to the patients as quickly as possible is propelling the market.
- High demand for disease-specific novel treatments and advancement in treatments such as gene therapy and retinal transplantation are anticipated to boost the growth of the global market during the forecast period
- However, limited treatment options and low health care expenditure in some developing countries are expected to restrain the global market
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market Report
Autosomal Recessive Inheritance to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of type, the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market can be classified into autosomal recessive inheritance, autosomal dominant inheritance, and X-linked inheritance
- The autosomal recessive inheritance segment accounted for the largest share of the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market in 2019. The segment is likely to dominate the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market due to high number of patients with autosomal recessive inheritance.
- Drugs Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Based on treatment type, the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market can be categorized into drugs, devices, and surgery. The drugs segment can be split into vitamin A, acetazolamide, and others. The devices segment can be bifurcated into sunglasses and implants. The surgery segment can be segregated into retinal transplantation and corneal neurotization.
- Drugs was the largest segment in terms of revenue in 2019 and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period. This can be attributed to launch of products for treatment of retinitis pigmentosa by major manufacturers. MeiraGTx Limited and Janssen Pharmaceuticals signed collaboration agreement to develop new product (AAV-RPGR) for X-linked inheritance retinitis pigmentosa treatment. MeiraGTx Limited has one innovative product in pipeline i.e., phase 1/2 for treatment of X-linked inheritance retinitis pigmentosa.
Hospitals Pharmacies Segment to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of distribution channel, the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market can be divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies. Hospital pharmacies was the largest segment in terms of revenue in 2019 and the trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period, as most major products are prescription products, and are available in hospital pharmacies.
North America to Dominate Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market in 2019 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. The region’s dominance can be attributed to increase in research & development activities by major players, rise in product offerings, greater affordability, and surge in demand for early treatment.
- The market in Asia Pacific is likely to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period, owing to increase in adoption of new products and rise in demand for retinitis pigmentosa treatment in emerging countries such as India and China
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market
The global retinitis pigmentosa treatment market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key players operating in the global market are:
- Orphagen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Astellas Pharma, Inc.
- Clino Corporation
- Caladrius, Spark Therapeutics, Inc.
- Gensight Biologics
- Grupo Ferrer International, S.A.
- InFlectis BioScience
- Nanovector S.r.l
- Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- MeiraGTx Limited
Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market, by Type
- Autosomal Recessive Inheritance
- Autosomal Dominant Inheritance
- X-linked Inheritance
Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market, by Treatment Type
- Vitamin A
- Retinal Transplantation
- Corneal Neurotization
Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.