Respiratory Tract Infection: Introduction
- Causes of respiratory tract infection vary significantly across each indication, and include factors such as environment, occupation, genetic predisposition, and aging
- The burden of respiratory illnesses is increasing across the world. According to the World Health Organization, 290,000 to 650,000 people succumb to flu-related causes globally every year.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), influenza caused 9 million to 45 million illnesses annually in the U.S. since 2010. During this period, there were between 140,000 and 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 and 61,000 deaths every year. In the U.S., there were 500,000 hospitalizations during influenza season 2016–2017, which increased to nearly 810,000 in 2017–2018
- In the European Union, seasonal influenza results in 4 million to 50 million symptomatic cases every year, with 70,000 deaths
Key Drivers of Global Respiratory Tract Infection Market
- The global respiratory tract infection market is driven by rise in prevalence of respiratory disorders, increase in geriatric population, and surge in focus on development of technologically advanced products
- According to the World Health Organization, currently, 235 million people across the world are suffering from asthma and 338,000 deaths due to asthma were reported in 2015
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 1 in 13 people has asthma in the U.S.
- According to Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, currently, about 6.2 million children aged 18 and younger are suffering from asthma in the U.S. In 2017, 1 in every 12 children had asthma.
- Adoption of respiratory disorder management has increased among the elderly population in the past few years due rise in prevalence in this age group and the number of difficulties faced by the population in managing the disorders. Additionally, the elderly find it difficult to use handheld inhalers due to physical and cognitive impairment.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Respiratory Tract Infection Market
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of infection type, the global respiratory tract infection market can be bifurcated into upper respiratory tract infection and lower respiratory tract infection
- The upper respiratory tract infection segment accounted for the largest market share in 2019 owing to high incidence of upper respiratory tract infection
Topical Treatment to be Highly Attractive Segment
- Based on treatment type, the global respiratory tract infection market can be classified into topical treatment and drug treatment. Topical treatment can be split into cough suppressant, nasal decongestant, and others. Drug treatment can be segregated into drug treatment, antibiotics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDS), and others.
- The topical treatment segment is projected to account for major share of the global respiratory tract infection market by 2030 owing to increase in incidence of respiratory disorders across the globe. Additionally, constantly changing climatic conditions due to global warming and pollution have accentuated the risk of developing upper respiratory tract disorders, which require topical treatment.
Hospitals to be Highly Lucrative Segment
- In terms of end-user, the global respiratory tract infection market can be categorized into hospitals, clinics, ambulatory surgical centers, and others
- The hospitals segment is anticipated to account for major share of the global market during the forecast period due to large inventory maintained by hospitals and availability of essential drugs at hospital pharmacies.
North America to Offer Significant Opportunities in Respiratory Tract Infection Market
- In terms of region, the global respiratory tract infection market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America accounted for major share of the global market in 2019 owing to increase in cases of respiratory disease such as asthma, COPD, and allergic rhinitis; rise in the number of FDA approvals for products in different respiratory diseases, and numerous product launches in the U.S. Moreover, increase in concerns about respiratory disease management including prevention, diagnosis, and treatment drives the market in the region.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Key Players Operating in Global Respiratory Tract Infection Market
The global respiratory tract infection market is semi-consolidated, with the presence of international and local players. Key players operating in the global respiratory tract infection market are:
- Integra LifeSciences Corporation
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Alcon, Inc.
- Collegium Pharmaceutical, Inc.
- Verona Pharma plc
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Hospira, Inc.
- Sandoz, Inc.
Global Respiratory Tract Infection Market: Research Scope
Global Respiratory Tract Infection Market, by Infection Type
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infection
Global Respiratory Tract Infection Market, by Treatment Type
- Topical Treatment
- Cough Suppressant
- Nasal Decongestant
- Drug Treatment
- Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAIDS)
Global Respiratory Tract Infection Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Global Respiratory Tract Infection Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!