From the public safety point of view, it is very important to keep drunk drivers off the roads. As per the data by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the U.S. alone, approximately 10,000 people die each year in driving crashes due to driving while drunk. A breathalyzer is a device for estimating blood alcohol concentration/content (BAC) from a breath sample. In most of the countries, alcohol intoxication is legally demarcated by the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level and a driver is prohibited from driving when their blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .08 grams per deciliter (g/dL) or higher. Withdrawing blood or urine sample at the site and examining it later is not feasible and practical and hence the possibility of estimating BAC indirectly by assessing the amount of alcohol in one's breath poses good market opportunity for these devices.
Remote breathalyzer is a portable electrochemical fuel cell-based instruments used for preliminary breath test (PBT) or preliminary alcohol screening (PAS) which is performed in the field. These devices works on the principle of a chemical reaction between sulfuric acid, potassium dichromate, silver nitrate and water. Alcohol present in the air is absorbed by the sulfuring acid and the solution color changes from reddish orange dichromate ions to green chromium ions. The reaction is catalyzed by the presence of silver nitrate and the degree of the color change is used to quantify the amount of alcohol in the exhaled air. The standard mixture (unreacted) in the photocell system is compared with the reaction mixture to compute the BAC.
On the basis of technology, remote breathalyzers can be classified into three categories: fuel cell testers, semiconductor oxide-based testers, and spectrophotometer testers. Fuel cell-based breathalyzers are more sensitive and are classified as professional level testers. They are also portable and give an extremely accurate reading. Fuel cell testers define intoxication levels through the alcohol oxidation in breath samples. The device enables a chemical reaction with alcohol to generate an electric current. The current produced is proportional to amount of alcohol in the blood and used as a measure to scale a persons’ BAC. Spectrophotometer testers are not portable and use infrared light for alcohol detection. Semiconductor oxide-based testers are relatively new to the market and use alcohol-based sensors to estimate alcohol level in blood. However, semiconductor oxide-based testers are not very accurate and are categorized as personal model. The growth of the global remote breathalyzer is mainly driven by increasing alcohol and drug abuse cases and stringent government laws and regulations. Moreover, growing popularity and demand for personal breathalyzers and development of cost-effective alcohol breathalyzers in emerging markets is expected to witness rapid surge in the demand during the forecast period.
The global breathalyzers market has been segmented on the basis of end users into security agencies, hospitals, home care facilities, and rehabilitation centers. Security agencies are the largest end-users of breathalyzers. However, growing personal use of breathalyzers is expected to increase during the forecast period from 2016 to 2024. Geographically, the global remote breathalyzer market can be segmented into five key regions, namely, North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa and Latin America. In past, North America has dominated the market due to enactment and implementation of stringent laws by the government in the region. However, developing nations in Asia Pacific are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period. Growing awareness for drug testing coupled with government initiatives, increased public awareness and reduction in cost are the major drivers for the market growth in these geographies. The major restraint for the market can be violation privacy rights in some countries. High pricing and less opportunities for new market players in developed regions can also be the restraints for the market during the forecast period.
Key players in the market include Alcohol Monitoring Systems, Inc., Alere, Inc., Andatech Private Limited, BACtrack, Drägerwerk AG, Intoximeters, Inc., Lion Laboratories Limited, Lifeloc Technologies, Quest Diagnostics, Soberlink Healthcare LLC.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.