Recycled PET (r-PET) Bottles Market
Recycled PET (r-PET) Bottles Market (Grade: Food and Non-food; Type: Clear and Colored; and Recycling Process: Mechanical and Chemical) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Recycled PET Bottles Market - A Greener Future for Plastic
Initiatives taken by the governments of numerous countries by legislating stringent environmental norms have incited a shift among manufacturers, away from the production of plastic, to its recycling, which has offered momentum to the recycled PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) market. This further led to the high use of recycled PET for the production of bottles for packaging a broad array of beverages and consumer goods, such as water, soft drinks, detergents, cosmetics, and edible oils, among others, thereby propelling the advancement of the recycled PET bottles market.
As consumers leading a demanding lifestyle evince a high proclivity for packaged drinks, manufacturers of food and beverages operate amidst the confined boundaries of environmental regulations to use recycled PET (r-PET) bottles. Leading beverages producers – Coca-Cola and PepsiCo - have been focusing on achieving reduced waste by launching campaigns and drives that are intended at educating consumers regarding the benefits of recycling.
Sensing the growing adoption trends, Transparency Market Research (TMR), in its recent study, identifies lucrative opportunities for stakeholders to leverage and gain a competitive edge in the recycled PET bottles market.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report here
Charting the Evolution of the Recycled PET Bottles Market
Heaps and piles of plastic waste mounting at an exponential rate, given the infiltration of plastic in numerous industries, have encouraged environmentalists to flag the issue on a global level. This has led to the fast replacing of PET bottles with r-PET bottles, and sensing this upward demand trend, manufacturers have been striving to integrate recycling processes in their manufacturing hubs to conform to the norms and sustain their businesses. In 2018, recycled PET bottles market recorded a volume sales of ~1.43 million tons, equating to a value of ~US$ 2 Bn.
In recent times, automation has become integral to recycling processes, and has increased efficiency by systematically processing and sorting plastic for the production of bottles. The growing transition to a circular economy to reduce resources, working on the 'make-use-dispose' concept, in order to optimize the value of products through recycling and reusing, is likely to lead the shift of a majority of PET bottle manufacturers towards recycled PET bottles. As the food industry no longer remains the only consumer of recycled PET bottles, demand from the consumer goods industry will upkeep their steady sales in the r-PET bottles market during the forecast period.
Exponential Improvements in the Adoption of Non-food Grade Recycled PET Bottles
The adoption of r-PET bottles remains high in the packaging of beverages, owing to the light weight of PET, its stability, and biological inertness. As scrutiny in the food and beverage segment turns stringent, manufacturers focus on enhancing the 'resistance to microorganisms' competency of their recycled PET bottles. However, as manufacturers of consumer goods realize the high density and high strength of r-PET as compared to PET, an exponential increase has been spectated in the adoption of recycled PET bottles for the packaging of non-food products such as shampoo, mouthwash, detergents, and pharmaceuticals, among others.
With the high consumption of bottled water and energy drinks, environmental sustainability implications require manufacturers of food and beverages in tandem with the packaging industry to bring amendments into their business processes and shrink the carbon footprint. In contrast to developing countries, recycling facilities in developed countries such as the U.S. are highly advanced, which is likely to reflect on the growing regional market share of North America.
Though the recycled PET bottles market has been growing at a steady CAGR of ~8%, lack of proper infrastructural facilities for the collection and sorting of discarded plastic has been disrupting the speed of PET recycling. In addition, colored or contaminated plastic makes the recycling of PET difficult, which drives these materials towards waste streams.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the “Recycled PET Bottles Market ?"Ask for the report brochure here
Recycled PET Bottles Market - Key Strategies to Move to Higher Value Share
Prioritize Recycling of Clear r-PET Bottles
As manufacturers of consumer goods strive to distinguish their products on the shelves by experimenting with brand colors, the volume sales of colored r-PET bottles are likely to remain relatively high. Though high in price, clear bottles offer cost-effective recycling, which is likely to fuel their adoption rate during the forecast period. Manufacturers can capitalize on this growing adoption trend by integrating recycling processes specific to clear recycled r-PET bottles, and strengthen their position in the market.
Integrate Chemical-based Recycling Process
Currently, the mechanical recycling process has been largely integrated for the recycling of PET bottles. Such methods are deemed cost-effective and offer multiple lifecycles to PET. However, with every new cycle, PET loses its properties and encounters the effect of time. As manufacturers seek process efficiency, the chemical recycling process can be integrated to simplify and optimize the existing process.
Leverage Forward Integration
With medium to high competition intensity in the r-PET bottles market, distribution and sales channels will play a crucial role in aiding manufacturers in growing their revenue share. This unlocks huge potential for advancing businesses along the supply chain. Manufacturers having a production facility can expand their reach in new markets by establishing distribution hubs to take control of the demand side.
Recycled PET Bottles Market - Competitive Landscape
The r-PET bottles market functions under a moderate degree of consolidation. Collectively, the top players - ALPLA Werke Alwin Lehner GmbH & Co KG, Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited, and CarbonLITE Industries LLC - account for ~34% of the total share of the recycled PET bottles market.
The introduction of new products by fostering innovation and venturing into new regions are the key strategies followed by global players. For instance, in March 2019, ALPLA Werke Alwin Lehner GmbH & Co KG and Fromm Holding AG announced their PET recycling joint venture - PET Recycling Team Wolfen GmbH - at the Wolfen location. Prominent players primarily focus on the processing of various kinds of polymers and convert them into commodities.
Though r-PET is one of its kind, the low manufacturing cost of PET coupled with the high switching cost is likely to remain a threat for manufacturers. Besides the threat of substitutes, new entrants are likely to offer a medium to high level of threat to existing market players, owing to the multi-dimensional applications surfacing for the packaging of food and non-food products.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on “Recycled PET Bottles Market” here
Analysts’ Viewpoint of the Recycled PET Bottles Market
Authors of the report opine that, the r-PET bottles market will grow at a steady pace during the forecast period of 2019-2027. As per the analysis, key manufacturers are highly concentrated in Europe and North America, and plan to expand their production capacities to cater to the growing demand for r-PET bottles. Various companies are likely to inculcate r-PET resins in their PET bottles. As such, most of the bottles will be made of 25% r-PET and 75% PET, or complete r-PET in the near future. Currently, the food and beverage segment accounts for a high adoption rate of recycled PET bottles; however, in the coming years, the r-PET bottles market is expected to show tremendous growth due to the rise in demand from the packaging industry.
Recycled PET (r-PET) Bottles Market Description
- Recycled PET (r-PET) bottles are manufactured from plastic that has already been used for the packaging of food and non-food products. In terms of type, recycled PET bottles are broadly classified into clear and colored.
- Mechanical and chemical are the methods used for the recycling of PET bottles. Mechanical recycling is a widely used method for PET recycling, while chemical recycling is still in the phase of development.
Key Growth Drivers of the Recycled PET (r-PET) Bottles Market
- The global recycled PET bottles market is anticipated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period, as the governments of various countries have imposed a ban on the usage of plastic products. Increase in government support for the recycling of products is also boosting the demand for r-PET bottles.
- The shift toward a circular economy is driving the global demand for recycled PET bottles. Under the circular economy, manufacturers operating in the plastic packaging market are required to reuse or recycle plastic in a cost-effective manner. According to the concept of a circular economy, recycling, reusing, and upcycling reduces landfill waste.
- Rise in the demand for bottled water is also estimated to propel the global recycled PET bottles market. The increasing shortage of drinking water around the globe, and growth in the demand for safe drinking water are expected to drive the recycled PET bottles market.
Key Growth Challenges for the Recycled PET (r-PET) Bottles Market
- The high set-up cost associated with the recycling of PET bottles is the major factor hindering the recycled PET bottles market. Lack of infrastructure facilities and low collection and recycling rates are also prominent factors hampering the recycling of PET bottles. Production and processing sites are also not well-established yet, which is also adversely affecting the recycled PET bottles market.
- Consumers, in general, are still apathetic about the recycling of plastics. Awareness about the benefits of plastic recycling is still low among manufacturers and consumers, alike. These factors are anticipated to hamper the global r-PET bottles market.
Lucrative Opportunities in the Global Recycled PET (r-PET) Bottles Market
- The Coca-Cola Company and PepsiCo Inc. are inclined toward recycled PET bottles for the packaging of their beverages. The Coca-Cola Company has set a goal to collect and recycle 100% of its packaging material till the end of 2030. The company is investing significantly to help people understand what, where, and how to recycle.
- Many other companies, municipalities, collectors, retailers, industries, and consumers are supporting the idea of PET recycling
- Laser sorting, a new approach, can be employed to remove impurities and separate colored and non-colored PET bottle flakes. This system is able to separate polymer by type or grade. However, this is still a novel approach, and is currently employed in a small number of Europe-based recycling facilities, but may soon be used worldwide. The laser sorting of PET bottles offers lucrative opportunities for apathetic bottle manufacturers.
Asia Pacific a Prominent Recycled PET (r-PET) Bottles Market
- Asia Pacific is a prominent consumer of recycled PET bottles in terms of value and volume. China is a key country in terms of production and consumption of r-PET bottles in the region. China imported 50% of the world’s waste for recycling in 2017. The country then stopped importing waste from other countries due to pollution issues.
- After China, Japan and India are prominent consumers of recycled PET bottles in Asia Pacific. Japan has almost 85% of collection rate, and aims to reach the 100% mark by the end of 2020.
Chemical Recycling Offers Growth Opportunities
- Europe is another prominent region in terms of production of r-PET bottles. The production of recycled PET bottles through chemical recycling is expected to commence in various countries in Europe by the end of 2020.
- On March 28, 2019, ALPLA Werke Alwin Lehner GmbH & Co KG and Fromm Holding AG announced their PET recycling joint venture - PET Recycling Team Wolfen GmbH - at the Wolfen location. Texplast, a subsidiary of FROMM Plastics GmbH, is likely to install a third extrusion line at the Wolfen location. The line is expected to begin operations in May 2020. The installation of a third extrusion line is likely to increase the annual capacity for food-grade r-PET by 15,000 tons. The venture is projected to invest US$ 7.88 Mn in sorting and processing systems at the Texplast facility in Wolfen.
Leading Players in the Recycled PET (r-PET) Bottles Market
Key players operating in the global recycled PET bottles market are
- Extrupet Group (Pty) Ltd.
- CarbonLITE Industries LLC
- Phoenix Technologies International, LLC
- Vanden Global Ltd.
- UltrePET, LLC
- Seiu Japan Co., Ltd.
- ALPLA Werke Alwin Lehner GmbH & Co KG
- SEINAN Corporation, Kuusakoski Oy
- Evergreen Plastics, Inc.
- Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited
- Verdeco Recycling, Inc.
- Clear Path Recycling, LLC.
Transparency Market Research (TMR), in its recent study, tracks down the underlying growth opportunities present in the recycled PET (r-PET) bottles market for the forecast period of 2019-2027. This scope of the research report covers significant trends and recent developments taking place in the r-PET bottles landscape. In addition to this, it offers valuable insights into the recycled PET bottles market by analyzing the key drivers, restraints, threats, and opportunities.
This exclusive guide provides an analysis of the demand and supply chain, which offers a detailed outlook on the balance of the demand-supply chain in the recycled PET bottles market. This comprehensive guide studies the microeconomic as well as macroeconomic factors that help in evaluating the upward growth trajectory of the r-PET bottles market during the forecast period.
The recycled PET bottles market size has been evaluated in terms of value (US$ Mn) and volume (Thousand Tons). Information found in this exhaustive research report can aid stakeholders in the r-PET bottles market in determining lucrative opportunities for their business advancement. This detailed guide underlines the leading and emerging players operating in the recycled PET bottles market.
The comprehensive study provides a detailed overview of the market players, along with their key strategies, financials, and recent developments. This will help key stakeholders in shifting their strategy gears and set their business pace in the direction of growth.
Recycles PET Bottles Market - Key Questions Answered
The global study on the recycled PET bottles market encompasses an overview, providing distinguished information into the growth prospects during the forecast period. This comprehensive report provides salient answers to the key questions concerning the stakeholders of the r-PET bottles market. Some of the key questions answered in the report comprise:
Q. What is the r-PET bottles demand scenario in terms of value and volume?
Q. What are the relevant drivers impacting the growth of the recycled PET bottles market?
Q. How will the r-PET bottles market evolve during the forecast period?
Q. What are the key challenges and threats restraining the growth of the recycled PET bottles market?
Q. What are the microeconomic and macroeconomic factors that are impacting the growth of the recycled PET bottles market?
Q. Which recycling process will remain the most favored for the production of r-PET bottles?
Recycled PET Bottles Market – Research Methodology
For the compilation of the report, a systematic research methodology has been adopted by our seasoned analysts. Research has been conducted by focusing on primary as well as secondary research methodologies by comprehending and arriving at trends and market value. In order to conduct primary research, e-mail interactions, face-to-face interviews, and telephonic interviews were conducted with industry heads, key opinion leaders, and market players, to understand the growth of each market category, segment, and sub-segment.
Recycled PET Bottles Market – Segmentation
The exclusive study on the recycled PET bottles market provides a detailed analysis of the market attractiveness by studying the key segments. The r-PET bottles market has been fragmented based on the grade, type, recycling process, and region. The global research report covers a country-wise analysis in order to provide insights into the demand and supply of recycled PET bottles based on key regions.
Each of the segments discussed in this report help in gaining crucial information into the r-PET bottles market. The global study on the r-PET bottles market offers information on the historical, current, and futuristic trends that are shaping its growth. In addition to this, it offers value chain analysis, Y-o-Y growth analysis, and supply chain analysis.
Middle East & Africa