Recycled Antimony: Introduction
- Antimony recycling is a process of converting battery scrap into reusable material. Secondary antimony is primarily derived from spent lead-acid batteries.
- Antimony recycling is an alternative to "conventional" waste disposal that can reduce primary metal consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. Battery scrap offers various advantages. For instance, it is highly cost-effective, helps preserve natural resources, and has minimal energy consumption.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Recycled Antimony Market
- Rise in focus on secondary production of antimony to meet the significantly rising demand for antimony in various industries such as plastics, electronics, glass & ceramic, and flame retardants is a key factor driving the recycled antimony market. China is the major producer of antimony, with more than 70% share of global antimony production. The dependence on China combined with strong industrial demand for antimony has raised concerns over the supply security, especially since the abundance of antimony in the earth’s crust is quite low (0.2 ppm) and current reserves (1,800,000 t) allow for just 10–11 more years of production at the current speed. This is expected to propel the global recycled antimony market.
- Increase in volume of battery scrap and rise in efforts to reduce environmental impacts due to improper disposal of battery scrap are anticipated to drive the global recycled antimony market in the near future
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- China is the major producer of antimony in the world due to the abundant availability of antimony reserves in the country. Hsikwangshan Twinkling Star, Guangxi Youngsun Chemicals, and Guangxi China Tin are some of the major producers of antimony in China.
- The coronavirus outbreak compelled the government of China to enforce a nationwide lockdown as part of measures to limit the spread of the virus. As a result, antimony producers such as Hsikwangshan Twinkling Star had to halt their production. This reduced the supply of antimony in the market.
- The price of antimony is directly linked with the supply of antimony. Therefore, decrease in supply of antimony led to an increase in prices of antimony.
Flame Retardant Application Segment to Hold Prominent Share of Global Recycled Antimony Market
- Based on application, the global recycled antimony market can be segregated into flame retardant, glass & ceramic, chemical intermediates, and others
- The flame retardant segment held major share of the global recycled antimony market in 2019. Introduction of fire safety standards to minimize the risk of fire is anticipated to propel the flame retardant application segment during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific to Constitute Significant Share of Global Recycled Antimony Market
- In terms of region, the global recycled antimony market can be divided into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- Asia Pacific is projected to dominate the global recycled antimony market during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the increase in demand for packaging materials in several industries such as food & beverages. Strong economic growth, rise in standard of living, and increase in demand for packaging food are key factors propelling the demand for packaging materials in food & beverages industries. Furthermore, increase in usage of antimony flame retardants, lead-acid batteries, and plastics is estimated to drive the antimony market in Asia Pacific in the near future.
- The recycled antimony market in Europe is expected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period due to increase in focus on reducing the import dependency of antimony in the region
- North America is also projected to hold vital share of the global recycled antimony market during the forecast period due to ongoing investments in expansion of lead smelting facilities to meet the rising demand for antimony among end-user industries
- The recycled antimony market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is anticipated to expand during the forecast period due to increase in volume of lead-acid battery scrap in these regions
Key Players Operating in Global Recycled Antimony Market
Leading companies operating in the global recycled antimony market include:
- Huachang Antimony
- DOWA HOLDINGS Co., Ltd
- Campine nv
- Globe Metal
- JX Nippon Mining & Metals Corporation
Global Recycled Antimony Market: Research Scope
Global Recycled Antimony Market, by Application
- Flame Retardant
- Lead-acid Battery
- Chemical Intermediates
- Glass & Ceramic
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!