Quantum Dot Lasers: Introduction
- A quantum dot laser is a semiconductor laser that uses quantum dots as the active laser medium in its light emitting region.
- The quantum dot laser is capable of high-speed operation at 1.3 μm wavelengths, at temperatures from 20 °C to 70 °C, and is used in optical data communication and optical networks applications
- Quantum dots have unique optical and electronic properties such as high resistance to photo bleaching, superior brightness, and simultaneous excitation of multiple colors from a single light source
- Quantum dot lasers are classified into two types: cadmium-based and cadmium-free
- Quantum dot lasers are used in healthcare, consumer electronics, imaging, defense, telecommunications, and other end-use industries
Growing Demand for Quantum Dots in Consumer Electronics Applications
- Quantum dots are largely used in consumer electronic devices such as smartphones, laptops, televisions, and digital cameras, as they are crucial in enhancing the display picture
- Use of cadmium-free quantum dots offers a safer and more sustainable option for manufacturers and consumers, as it offers better color benefits related to technology with minimum risk associated with it
- Quantum dots can be found in almost every display device. Additionally, quantum dot displays are considered the next-generation display technology with the incorporation of advanced technology
- Thus, the demand for quantum dots is significantly increasing in TV displays, smartphones, and digital cameras, which is expected to drive the global quantum dot lasers market during the forecast period
- Quantum dots are tiny semiconductor nanomaterials that are made through different manufacturing methods. However, most of these materials are highly toxic and not environment friendly, which is anticipated to moderately restrain the growth of the global quantum dot lasers market
North America to Lead the Quantum Dot Lasers Market
- In terms of region, the global quantum dot lasers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America
- North America is anticipated to dominate the global quantum dot lasers market throughout the forecast period, as a large number of manufacturers of quantum dot lasers operate in the region
- Additionally, many well-established players based in North America are focusing on development of new technology in quantum dot lasers which is expected to boost the market in the region during the forecast period
- The quantum dot lasers market in Europe and Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in the Global Quantum Dot Lasers Market
The global quantum dot lasers market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansion to meet the rising demand for quantum dot lasers. Moreover, manufacturers are signing partnerships for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global quantum dot lasers market are:
- Crystalplex Corporation
- Fraunhofer IAP
- Innolume GmbH
- Nanoco Group plc
- Nanosys Inc.
- Ocean NanoTech
- OSRAM Opto Semiconductors GmbH
- QD Laser
- RANOVUS Inc.
Global Quantum Dot Lasers Market: Research Scope
Global Quantum Dot Lasers Market, by Product Type
- Single-mode Laser Diodes
- Multi-mode Laser Diodes
- Distributed Feedback (DFB) and Distributed Bragg Reflector (DBR) Laser Diodes
Global Quantum Dot Lasers Market, by Material
Global Quantum Dot Lasers Market, by Vertical
- Consumer Electronics
Global Quantum Dot Lasers Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!