Pseudobulbar Affect Treatment Market: Introduction
- Pseudobulbar affect is a nervous system disorder, which makes a person laugh, cry, or angry suddenly. It is also known as pathological laughter and crying. The pseudobulbar affect is associated with neurological diseases or disorders, which cause brain damage or injury.
- In other words, pseudobulbar affect causes outburst of uncontrolled or inappropriate laughter and crying. The pseudobulbar affect is also called emotional liability, emotional expression disorder, and compulsive laughter and crying.
- Alzheimer’s disease, brain tumors, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, stroke, and traumatic brain injury are the major diseases or disorders often associated with pseudobulbar affect
- Patients suffering from pseudobulbar affect often witness anxiety disorder and poor social interaction and quality of life. Pseudobulbar affect is considered a national health issue in the U.S., especially in patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease and traumatic brain injury. There is no treatment for pseudobulbar affect apart from one drug approved by the FDA. Moreover, selective serotonin reductase inhibitors and other medications for management of pseudobulbar affect are in clinical trials.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Pseudobulbar Affect Treatment Market
- Rise in prevalence of pseudobulbar affect and increase in incidence of neurological disorders leading to the condition are the major factors expected to boost the growth of the global market during the forecast period. According to the National Stroke Association, over 1 million people suffer from pseudobulbar affect globally, and 10% of multiple sclerosis patients are likely to develop the condition.
- According to research, in 2017, around 2 million people in the U.S. were suffering from pseudobulbar affect. Pseudobulbar affect is primarily associated with neurological disorders, and around 30% to 35% patients suffer from depression. Prevalence of pseudobulbar affect is higher in people with neurological disorders, which is around 5% to 50%. These factors are expected to boost the growth of the global pseudobulbar treatment market.
- No cure is available for pseudobulbar affect; however, antidepressants and other medications help in managing the condition. Moreover, lack of awareness about the condition is a major factor projected to restrain the global market during the forecast period.
- Moreover, FDA approvals for drugs in 2018 provide significant opportunities in the global pseudobulbar treatment market
North America to Dominate Global Pseudobulbar Affect Treatment market
- North America is anticipated to account for large market share during the forecast period due to rise in awareness about pseudobulbar affect and increase in cases of the condition across the region. Moreover, rise in prevalence of neurological diseases in the U.S. is expected to propel the market in the next few years.
- For instance, in the U.S., around 1 million individuals suffering with multiple sclerosis (MS) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) are estimated to have been diagnosed with pseudobulbar affect. Globally, 10 million people with ALS and MS were diagnosed pseudobulbar affect.
- Increase in incidence of neurological disorders leading to pseudobulbar affect in the U.S. is another factor fueling market growth in the region. According to AJMC, around 46% of the MS patients are diagnosed with pseudobulbar symptoms. According to PRISM trial results, 30% of Alzheimer’s disease patients have symptoms of pseudobulbar affect.
- These statistics are expected to drive the demand for effective treatment for the condition, which in turn is likely to boost the growth of the global pseudobulbar affect treatment market
Key Companies in Global Pseudobulbar Affect Treatment Market
- Allergan plc
- Avanir Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Arrow Pharmaceuticals
- Pfizer, Inc.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH
Global Pseudobulbar Affect Treatment Market, Research Scope
Global Pseudobulbar Affect Treatment Market, by Drug Class
- Tricyclic Antidepressants
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors
- Norepinephrine/Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors
- NUEDEXTA (dextromethorphan hydrobromide / quinidine sulfate)
Global Pseudobulbar Affect Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Retail Pharmacies
- Hospital Pharmacies
Global Pseudobulbar Affect Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.