Prosthetic Graft Market: Introduction
- Prosthetic graft is a manmade polyester material in the form of a thin tube, which is used to replace or repair the blood vessel. It does not contain any harmful chemicals, which makes it easily tolerable for the human body. Improvements in prosthetic grafts over the years has reduced the chances of any infection. Application of prosthetic graft is popular in cases of cardiac diseases, diabetes, end-stage renal disease (ESRD), and vascular occlusions.
- The two materials that have been traditional preferred in grafting are polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) grafts or polyester (Dacron) grafts. Among the two, marginal advantages are offered by each type; however, Dacron graft is highly preferred. Polyurethanes are being considered as alternative graft material for the last few years, as they are more compliant than Dacron and PTFE; hence, their mechanical and flow parameters are better matched to those of the native vasculature. New graft development to match as closely as possible the mechanical characteristics and functions of normal human arteries is expected to remain a major priority for cardiovascular surgeons for at least the next decade.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global Prosthetic Graft Market
- Clinical trials are being undertaken for the development of newer graft possessing mechanical characteristics and functions as closely possible of normal human arteries. This development is estimated to boost the market significantly. Enhanced prosthetic grafts would be available in the next 4-5 years with the introduction of biodurable and compliant polyurethane grafts. Improved patency and resistance to infection is also estimated to further boost the market. Seeding protocols are already under pilot clinical study and promise to be widely clinically applicable within the next 5 years.
- Chances of prosthetic graft infection is a major complication of peripheral vascular surgery, which is a major restraint to the market. Additionally, requirement of a prosthetic graft with a non-thrombogenic surface, sufficient mechanical strength, similar compliance to native vessels, spontaneous endothelialisation, and resistance to intimal hyperplasia and compatibility with the host tissue also remains a major challenge for vascular tissue engineering.
- According to WHO, cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) are the leading cause of death, globally, which accounts for more than 17 million lives each year. Prosthetic graft plays a major role in coronary artery bypass. Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) remains the mainstay of revascularisation for multi vessel coronary artery disease (CAD).
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Prosthetic Graft Market
- North America is expected to account for a major share of the global prosthetic graft market, attributable to technological advancements, positive results from ongoing clinical trial trails as well as growing patients related to cardiovascular diseases, which has further driven the market. Presence of companies with expertise in offering diagnostic tests is likely to drive the prosthetic graft market in the region.
- The market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. Rise in prevalence of cardiac diseases, diabetes, ESRD, and vascular occlusions in countries of Asia Pacific is estimated to boost the prosthetic graft market in the region. Adoption of innovative raw material to avoid any kind of infection in the future, as compared to traditional material polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) grafts or polyester, is anticipated to propel the market in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global Prosthetic Graft Market
The global prosthetic graft market is highly consolidated with the presence of key players. A large number of manufacturers hold a major share in their respective regions. Major players operating in the global prosthetic graft market include:
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Cardinal Health
- Medtronic Plc
- Vingmed Danmark A/S
- Cook Medical
- Lemaitre Vascular, Inc.
- Terumo Medical Corporation
- Endologix, Inc.
- W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
- Getinge AB
Global Prosthetic Graft Market: Research Scope
Global Prosthetic Graft Market: by Type
- Polyester Grafts
- ePTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene)
- Polyurethane Grafts
- Biosynthetic Grafts
Global Prosthetic Graft Market, by Indication
- Endovascular Aneurysm Repair
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Peripheral Vascular
- Hemodialysis Access
- Coronary Artery Disease
- End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
Global Prosthetic Graft Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!