Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy Market: Introduction
- The proliferative vitreoretinopathy (PVR) process is analogous to the dynamic wound healing that leads to skin keloid formation. Retinal glial cells and macrophages could also play important roles by providing a scaffold for membrane formation and/or by releasing trophic factors. The surgical approach for PVR is generally the same for primary retinal detachments without membranes. The principal difference is that there is significantly more retinal traction in PVR, which is caused by membranes and bands rather than vitreous gel alone. PVR is currently the biggest obstacle to successful retinal reattachment surgery, accounting for nearly 75% of all primary surgical failures. PVR is characterized by growth and migration of preretinal or subretinal membranes. Iatrogenic tears are more common when removing anterior PVR (near the vitreous base). When tears occur or when PVR is difficult to remove with peeling alone, a relaxing retinectomy could be needed. Given the inflammatory nature of PVR, corticosteroids are considered to be primary therapeutic candidates when trying to prevent PVR.
Key Drivers of Global Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy Market
Increase in Geriatric Population
- The world’s geriatric population continues to increase at an unprecedented rate. Presently, 8.5% of the global population (617 million) is aged 65 and over. According to a new report, An Aging World: 2015, the percentage is projected to jump to nearly 17% of the global population by 2050 (1.6 billion). According to the National Institutes of Health, the U.S.’s 65-and-over population is anticipated to nearly double in the next three decades, from 48 million to 88 million by 2050. The global population of the “oldest old” - people aged 80 and older - is expected to more than triple between 2015 and 2050, increasing from 126.5 million to 446.6 million. The oldest old population in some countries in Asia and Latin America is likely to quadruple by 2050.
Surge in incidence of Retinoblastoma
- Proliferative vitreoretinopathy (PVR) occurs after retinal detachment and is a major complication of surgical reattachment of the retina, occurring in 3.9% to 13.7% of human patients. PVR is also a common complication following a number of ocular injuries, with the highest frequency after perforating and penetrating wounds, in which the incidence is 10% to 45%. Proliferative vitreoretinopathy is the biggest obstacle to successful retinal reattachment surgery, with a cumulative risk of approximately 5% to 10% of all retinal detachment repairs, accounting for around 75% of all primary surgical failures.
North America to Account for Major Share of Global Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy Market
- North America is projected to account for major share of the global proliferative vitreoretinopathy market during the forecast period. The market in North America is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace, primarily due to structured reimbursement policies, developed health care infrastructure, and continuous research activities in developing advanced technologies. Favorable government policies and reimbursements provided by the government along with robust health care facilities are the major factors boosting the growth of the proliferative vitreoretinopathy market in North America.
- The proliferative vitreoretinopathy market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period. This can be attributed to increase in trend of preventive health care measures in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy Market
The global proliferative vitreoretinopathy market is highly consolidated, due to strong presence of a few key players. Several manufacturers hold major share in the market in their respective regions. Leading players operating in the global proliferative vitreoretinopathy market are:
- Novartis AG
- Promedior, Inc.
- RXi Pharmaceuticals Corp.
- Allergan plc
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Genentech, Inc.
Global Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy Market: Research Scope
Global Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy Market, by Drug Type
Global Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Global Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy Market, by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa