- The global cristobalite market was valued at over US$ 27 Mn in 2018, and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of more than 5% during the forecast period.
- The global cristobalite market is driven by the rise in the demand for glass & ceramics and paints & coatings.
- Asia Pacific accounts for a prominent share of the global cristobalite market, led by the increase in the demand for residential housing, supported by government schemes.
Key Drivers of the Cristobalite Market
- Engineered stones can be combined with cristobalite. This provides enhanced visual and functional results. It also improves appearance in line with design trends, including greater transparency, whiteness, and brightness.
- According to the latest annual report published by Sibelco in 2018, "the demand for cristobalite surpassed supply, because of the high demand from the engineered stone market. This situation also helped manufacturers open a new kiln in Belgium."
- Cristobalite is one of the fillers with the highest brightness. This contributes to the visibility of road-marking paints. Coarse grades of cristobalite provide roughness to the substrate, making it less slippery in general and wet conditions. This helps provide better visibility in wet conditions. Being resistant to UV radiation, cristobalite reduces the degradation of coatings.
Milled Flour Segment to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Cristobalite milled flour is manufactured by the conversion of quartz in a rotary kiln at high temperature. It is used as a reinforcing filler. Cristobalite milled flour offers a barrier against abrasive actions and chemical attacks.
- Milled flour is often used in the self-cleaning of exterior wall coatings and marine paints, owing to its resistance against chemical attacks.
- The milled flour segment is anticipated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period, owing to the increase in the demand for milled flour in chemical applications.
Risk of Substitution Coupled with Potential Health Hazards to Hamper Market Growth
- Cristobalite can be replaced by quartz and other polymorphs such as barium sulfate, calcium carbonate, diatomaceous earth, dolomite, feldspar, glass powder, kaolin, mica, microspheres, silica, and talc. Quartz and other polymorphs possess similar chemical composition, and also physical and chemical properties as cristobalite. This can adversely affect the demand for cristobalite. Furthermore, quartz and other polymorphs are less expensive than cristobalite.
- Cristobalite can have serious health hazards when it comes in contact with a human for a prolonged time period. In 1996, the International Agency for Research on Cancer concluded that, cristobalite dust was carcinogenic to humans, and could cause cancer. The implementation of stringent government regulations on the production of cristobalite is restraining market growth.
Asia Pacific Dominates the Cristobalite Market
- Among the various regions, Asia Pacific accounted for a major share of the global cristobalite market in 2018. The demand for paints and coatings is high in the region, especially in China, Japan, and South Korea.
- China is projected to lead the market in Asia Pacific in the next few years, due to the rise in consumer preference for cool white countertops in the country. Additionally, the increase in building and construction activities across Asia Pacific is boosting the demand for cristobalite sand and milled flour in cement and road marking applications. This, in turn, is driving the cristobalite market in Asia Pacific.
- Cristobalite is extensively employed as a raw material in the manufacturing of silica-based chemicals such as silica gel. Growth in foreign direct investments in China and India is anticipated to boost the demand for cristobalite in these countries.
Top Three Players Accounted for Around 75% Market Share in 2018
The global cristobalite market is dominated by a few large and medium players that operate across the globe. The top three players — SCR-Sibelco NV, Quarzwerke GmbH, and Hoben International Limited — accounted for around 75% share in 2018. The cristobalite market is dominated by SCR-Sibelco NV, which is the largest manufacturer of cristobalite sand and milled flour across the globe. The company has the largest distribution network and operates across all major regions. SCR-Sibelco NV focuses on developing new solutions for its engineered stones business. These stones are employed to increase the visual elements of surfaces (such as transparency and brightness), and improve functional properties by enhancing hardness, durability, and resistance to scratching and staining of the surface. The company invests in increasing its production capacity in order to maintain its market leading position.
- In October 2017, Sibelco NV expanded its production line of cristobalite by opening a third cristobalite kiln at Dessel, Belgium. This new kiln would be using the latest technology to manufacture cristobalite, and increase the production of cristobalite by approximately 70,000 tons per year.
Global Cristobalite Market: Research Scope
Global Cristobalite Market by Form
- Milled Flour
Global Cristobalite Market by Application
- Construction Activities
- Cement Manufacturing
- Road Building
- Others (including Sanding of Roads and Resin Injection Systems)
- Glass & Ceramics
- Paints & Coatings
- Foundry Casting
- Sports & Leisure Goods
- Metallurgical Application
- Industrial Chemicals
- Oil Field Chemicals
- Others (including Filtration and Agriculture)
Global Cristobalite Market by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Transparency Market Research is a global market intelligence company, providing global business information reports and services. Our exclusive blend of quantitative forecasting and trends analysis provides forward-looking insight for thousands of decision makers. Our experienced team of analysts, researchers, and consultants use proprietary data sources and various tools and techniques to gather and analyze information.
Our data repository is continuously updated and revised by a team of research experts, so that it always reflects the latest trends and information. With a broad research and analysis capability, Transparency Market Research employs rigorous primary and secondary research techniques in developing distinctive data sets and research material for business reports.
Transparency Market Research,
90 Sate Street, Suite 700,
Albany, NY 12207
USA - Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
7 of 10 large enterprizes view our ToC to take the right decision.View Report ToC