Prescription Transdermal Patches Market: Introduction
- Transdermal drug delivery system, also known as patches, is a non-invasive way of delivering medication into the skin or dermis surfaces. Transdermal patches have a number of advantages over oral and hypodermic injections. These provide better biocompatibility in hepatic metabolism and increase flexibility in drug administration.
- Increase in prevalence of chronic pain, cancer pain, rise in autoimmune arthritis pain types, demand for opioids drugs/patches, such as fentanyl, and use of types of diclofenac drugs in the form of gels, patches, creams, etc., are likely to drive the use of transdermal pain management drugs
- According to the Arthritis Foundation, in 2016, in the U.S., 39 studies with 10,631 participants found that topical diclofenac provides sufficient levels of pain and relief in osteoarthritis. For instance, diclofenac sodium 1% gel used for osteoarthritis pain of hands, wrists, elbows etc.
- In the U.S., Medicare and Medicaid are government organizations that provide reimbursement for acute pain, chronic pain, cancer pain, and post-operative pain treatments. Medicare is considered to be the largest and the most important third-party government payer for chronic wound patients in the U.S.
- The global prescription transdermal patches market is projected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. The growth of prescription transdermal patches market can be attributed to increase in prevalence of chronic pain, cancer pain, rising prescription rate for prescription patches, and high demand for pain medicines.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Key Drivers of Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market
- The global prescription transdermal patches market is expected to be driven by rise in patient population experiencing chronic pain, cancer pain, increased demand for patches, and low prices, owing to patent expiration for innovative transdermal patches
- Large number of players in the industry are investing in the development of improved design sand materials for transdermal patches. For instance, in August 2015, Sparsha Pharma International Pvt. Ltd, a Hyderabad-based transdermal patch maker, launched generic version of the prescription patch—a synthetic narcotic drug delivered through an adhesive patch attached to the skin in the U.S. Sparsha Pharma invested around US$ 7 Mn to build a transdermal drug delivery development and manufacturing facility in Hyderabad, of which US$ 4 Mn was raised from Japan-based transdermal patch maker Teikoku Pharma.
- Increase in geriatric population is likely to increase the incidence of chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and bone- related disorders as old people are at greater risk of these diseases. Increase in the patient pool is expected to drive demand for transdermal pain management drugs as a treatment option against these diseases.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market
- North America is expected to account for a major share of the global market during the forecast period
- The use of transdermal drug delivery system has risen exponentially for pain management of certain conditions, such as cancer, as transdermal patches can deliver pain management drugs at a predetermined rate across the dermis to achieve either a local or systemic effect
- Rise in prevalence of cancer is expected to drive adoption of transdermal pain management drugs among patients for treatment of chronic pain
- According to the American Cancer Society, in 2019, 1,762,450 new cancer cases were diagnosed in the U.S.
- According to the Center for Medicare Advocacy, Lidocaine Patch 5% is FDA approved for post hepatic neuralgia and diabetic neuropathy. It is a highly effective pain reliever and its unique non-narcotic and non-addictive properties make it a benign alternative to opioids, without the risks and side effects of opioids. However, coverage denials for lidocaine pose a major problem for people who become Medicare eligible or have a private insurance plan.
Key Players Operating in Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market
Major players operating in the global prescription transdermal patches market are:
- Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co., Inc.
- Icure PHARM. INC.
- Mylan N.V.
- Novartis AG
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report
Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market: Research Scope
Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market, by Indication
- Musculoskeletal Pain
- Auto-immune Disease
- Post-operative Pain
- Cancer Pain
Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.