Prescription Transdermal Patches Market: Introduction
- Transdermal drug delivery system, also known as patches, is a non-invasive way of delivering medication into the skin or dermis surfaces. Transdermal patches have a number of advantages over oral and hypodermic injections. These provide better biocompatibility in hepatic metabolism and increase flexibility in drug administration.
- Increase in prevalence of chronic pain, cancer pain, rise in autoimmune arthritis pain types, demand for opioids drugs/patches, such as fentanyl, and use of types of diclofenac drugs in the form of gels, patches, creams, etc., are likely to drive the use of transdermal pain management drugs
- According to the Arthritis Foundation, in 2016, in the U.S., 39 studies with 10,631 participants found that topical diclofenac provides sufficient levels of pain and relief in osteoarthritis. For instance, diclofenac sodium 1% gel used for osteoarthritis pain of hands, wrists, elbows etc.
- In the U.S., Medicare and Medicaid are government organizations that provide reimbursement for acute pain, chronic pain, cancer pain, and post-operative pain treatments. Medicare is considered to be the largest and the most important third-party government payer for chronic wound patients in the U.S.
- The global prescription transdermal patches market is projected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. The growth of prescription transdermal patches market can be attributed to increase in prevalence of chronic pain, cancer pain, rising prescription rate for prescription patches, and high demand for pain medicines.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Key Drivers of Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market
- The global prescription transdermal patches market is expected to be driven by rise in patient population experiencing chronic pain, cancer pain, increased demand for patches, and low prices, owing to patent expiration for innovative transdermal patches
- Large number of players in the industry are investing in the development of improved design sand materials for transdermal patches. For instance, in August 2015, Sparsha Pharma International Pvt. Ltd, a Hyderabad-based transdermal patch maker, launched generic version of the prescription patch—a synthetic narcotic drug delivered through an adhesive patch attached to the skin in the U.S. Sparsha Pharma invested around US$ 7 Mn to build a transdermal drug delivery development and manufacturing facility in Hyderabad, of which US$ 4 Mn was raised from Japan-based transdermal patch maker Teikoku Pharma.
- Increase in geriatric population is likely to increase the incidence of chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and bone- related disorders as old people are at greater risk of these diseases. Increase in the patient pool is expected to drive demand for transdermal pain management drugs as a treatment option against these diseases.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market
- North America is expected to account for a major share of the global market during the forecast period
- The use of transdermal drug delivery system has risen exponentially for pain management of certain conditions, such as cancer, as transdermal patches can deliver pain management drugs at a predetermined rate across the dermis to achieve either a local or systemic effect
- Rise in prevalence of cancer is expected to drive adoption of transdermal pain management drugs among patients for treatment of chronic pain
- According to the American Cancer Society, in 2019, 1,762,450 new cancer cases were diagnosed in the U.S.
- According to the Center for Medicare Advocacy, Lidocaine Patch 5% is FDA approved for post hepatic neuralgia and diabetic neuropathy. It is a highly effective pain reliever and its unique non-narcotic and non-addictive properties make it a benign alternative to opioids, without the risks and side effects of opioids. However, coverage denials for lidocaine pose a major problem for people who become Medicare eligible or have a private insurance plan.
Key Players Operating in Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market
Major players operating in the global prescription transdermal patches market are:
- Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co., Inc.
- Icure PHARM. INC.
- Mylan N.V.
- Novartis AG
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report
Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market: Research Scope
Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market, by Indication
- Musculoskeletal Pain
- Auto-immune Disease
- Post-operative Pain
- Cancer Pain
Global Prescription Transdermal Patches Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.