Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market: Introduction
- The growing demand for human biologics has not been met by recent production platforms based primarily on mammalian cell culture, owing to limited scalability and prohibitive cost. Technological developments in plant expression vector development, glycoengineering, and downstream processing have established plants as a better alternative for the production of biologics.
- The first plant-made biologic was approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of the Gaucher’s disease. The approval of plant-based biologic has sparked innovations in the field.
- In 2012, Israel-based company, Protalix, received the FDA approval for ELELYSO, a plant-based drug, which is a recombinant version of the glucocerebrosidase (GCD) enzyme deficient in Gaucher’s disease patients. This establishes that plant cells have the ability to produce complex, functional human proteins.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers of Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market
- Plant-based biologics is anticipated to be a major commercial biotechnological development. Several global manufacturers who have technical expertise and core competencies are undertaking R&D to develop and manufacture plant-based biologics.
- Increase in the number of chronic diseases and consequent demand for biologics has propelled the global market in recent years and its demand is expected to remain high during the forecast period. These biologics offer new mechanisms of treatment with application in a wide range of diseases, including immune disorders and cancer.
- The global plant-derived biologic drugs market is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to the rise in the number of chronic diseases, technological innovations related to the production of plant-derived biologics drugs, low manufacturing cost, and easy storage of plant-based biologics.
Advantages of Plant-based Biologics to Drive Global Market
- Plant expression platforms offer advantages over human biologics. Features such as high scalability, low cost, increased safety, and eukaryotic protein modification make plant-based biologics a promising tool for drug development. Novel transient expression vectors are being developed that allow the production of therapeutics and vaccines at unprecedented speed to control bioterrorism attack and potential pandemics.
- One of the potential advantages of plant-based systems is their ability to lower the cost of production for recombinant biologics. Low cost of manufacturing have been widely considered for the production of plant-based biologics, as they forego the need for capital investments.
- Plant-based proteins can also function as biocontrol agents of foodborne pathogens. This further exemplify the potential utility of plant-based protein production.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market Report
North America to Hold a Major Share of Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market
- North America holds a dominant share of the global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs market, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific. China and India are key markets in the Asia Pacific region. Large number of research activities and clinical trials, adoption of advanced drugs, increase in incidences of chronic diseases, and government interventions pertaining to allocation of funds for conducting research activities based on drug development are factors driving the Plant-derived Biologic Drugs market.
- Increase in population base, rise in incidences of chronic diseases, and growth of China, India, and others countries in Southeast Asia, are resulting in high per capita health care expenditure. Moreover, increase in investments by pharmaceutical companies in emerging countries is anticipated to drive the Plant-derived Biologic Drugs market in Asia Pacific.
- The Plant-derived Biologic Drugs market in Middle East & Africa is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to rise in investments in the health care industry of the region and burden of chronic diseases
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Some of the key players operating in the global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs market are:
- IBio Inc.
- Mapp Biopharmaceutical, Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Medicago Inc.
- Greenovation Biotech GmbH
- Kentucky BioProcessing
- PhycoBiologics Inc.
- Synthon, Fraunhofer IME
- Icon Genetics GmbH
Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market: Research Scope
Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market, by Source
Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market, by Plant Parts
Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.