Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market: Introduction
- The growing demand for human biologics has not been met by recent production platforms based primarily on mammalian cell culture, owing to limited scalability and prohibitive cost. Technological developments in plant expression vector development, glycoengineering, and downstream processing have established plants as a better alternative for the production of biologics.
- The first plant-made biologic was approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of the Gaucher’s disease. The approval of plant-based biologic has sparked innovations in the field.
- In 2012, Israel-based company, Protalix, received the FDA approval for ELELYSO, a plant-based drug, which is a recombinant version of the glucocerebrosidase (GCD) enzyme deficient in Gaucher’s disease patients. This establishes that plant cells have the ability to produce complex, functional human proteins.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers of Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market
- Plant-based biologics is anticipated to be a major commercial biotechnological development. Several global manufacturers who have technical expertise and core competencies are undertaking R&D to develop and manufacture plant-based biologics.
- Increase in the number of chronic diseases and consequent demand for biologics has propelled the global market in recent years and its demand is expected to remain high during the forecast period. These biologics offer new mechanisms of treatment with application in a wide range of diseases, including immune disorders and cancer.
- The global plant-derived biologic drugs market is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to the rise in the number of chronic diseases, technological innovations related to the production of plant-derived biologics drugs, low manufacturing cost, and easy storage of plant-based biologics.
Advantages of Plant-based Biologics to Drive Global Market
- Plant expression platforms offer advantages over human biologics. Features such as high scalability, low cost, increased safety, and eukaryotic protein modification make plant-based biologics a promising tool for drug development. Novel transient expression vectors are being developed that allow the production of therapeutics and vaccines at unprecedented speed to control bioterrorism attack and potential pandemics.
- One of the potential advantages of plant-based systems is their ability to lower the cost of production for recombinant biologics. Low cost of manufacturing have been widely considered for the production of plant-based biologics, as they forego the need for capital investments.
- Plant-based proteins can also function as biocontrol agents of foodborne pathogens. This further exemplify the potential utility of plant-based protein production.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market Report
North America to Hold a Major Share of Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market
- North America holds a dominant share of the global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs market, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific. China and India are key markets in the Asia Pacific region. Large number of research activities and clinical trials, adoption of advanced drugs, increase in incidences of chronic diseases, and government interventions pertaining to allocation of funds for conducting research activities based on drug development are factors driving the Plant-derived Biologic Drugs market.
- Increase in population base, rise in incidences of chronic diseases, and growth of China, India, and others countries in Southeast Asia, are resulting in high per capita health care expenditure. Moreover, increase in investments by pharmaceutical companies in emerging countries is anticipated to drive the Plant-derived Biologic Drugs market in Asia Pacific.
- The Plant-derived Biologic Drugs market in Middle East & Africa is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to rise in investments in the health care industry of the region and burden of chronic diseases
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Some of the key players operating in the global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs market are:
- IBio Inc.
- Mapp Biopharmaceutical, Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Medicago Inc.
- Greenovation Biotech GmbH
- Kentucky BioProcessing
- PhycoBiologics Inc.
- Synthon, Fraunhofer IME
- Icon Genetics GmbH
Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market: Research Scope
Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market, by Source
Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market, by Plant Parts
Global Plant-derived Biologic Drugs Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.