Pin Fin Heat Sink for IGBT: Introduction
- Pin fin heat sinks are made of aluminum alloys or copper and contains the base and array of embedded pins. Its parameters such as base plate dimensions, pin length, material, thickness, as well as density fits most of the specifications. The pin fin can be easily customized to be used in various applications depending on the heat load, available space, and airflow.
- The pin fin heat sink technology offers an efficient cooling solution as it has a large surface area in relation to other heat sink volumes. Its round pins and spacing allows the blown air to create significant amount of turbulence. This breaks the boundary layer around pins, which creates high convective thermal efficiencies.
- Pin fin heat sinks have higher efficiency than other heat sinks which results in smaller and lighter pin fin heat sinks. It contains bonding agents and therefore most plating methods are acceptable, which means that aluminum and copper heat sinks can be anodized and oxidized respectively.
- Pin fin heat sinks are used to cool IGBT (Integrated Gate Bipolar Transistor). Heat sinks with 5 × 5-inch footprint and a total height of 1.3 inch can cool 625 W of dissipated power within a temperature rise of 50°C on its base.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report
Increasing demand for component density and miniaturization of devices
With the increasing miniaturization of devices, engineers are looking for cooling solutions which fit into small spaces, do not cause project cost overrun, and provides best heat transfers.
- Pin fin heat sinks are the emerging technology designed to solve complex thermal problems where there is limited space and substantial heat loads. These type of heat sinks are designed to meet requirements of modern electronics of cooling with little extra cost. This factor is fueling the demand for pin fin heat sinks.
Increasing use of IGBT modules in the automotive sector
- Increasing usage of IGBT modules is seen in hybrid electric vehicles and other electric vehicles. Majority of IGBT modules in electric vehicles use pin fin base plates and some designs use 100% pin fin aluminum base plates. This factor is creating lucrative opportunity for the market in the automotive sector.
- However, due to technological advancements such as hot and cold forging, metal injection molding, and additive manufacturing, the production capacity is not being utilized, which may hamper the market growth.
Usage of hybrid pin fin heat sinks
- Hybrid pin fin heat sinks contain aluminum pin fins which reflow into a copper plate. They are manufactured to be used in devices that feature small and focused heat sources. These type of heat sinks are proposed for multi device cooling in which the single heat sink is used for more than one module for cooling. This trend of using hybrid pin fin heat sinks offers opportunities for the pin fin heat sink IGBT market.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Asia Pacific to lead the market
- In terms of region, the global pin fin heat sink for IGBT market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period. This growth is attributed to rising awareness about advantages of pin fin heat sinks, growing demand for power supply devices, and increasing trend of home remodeling.
- The pin fin heat sink for IGBT market in North America and Europe is also likely to show high growth rate as major manufacturers are present in North America and Europe. The market in Middle East & Africa is expected to show a uniform growth rate.
Key Players in the Global Market
Prominent players operating in the global pin fin heat sink for IGBT market are focusing on product launch and technological developments to meet the growing demand.
Key players operating in the global pin fin heat sink for IGBT market include:
- Advanced Thermal Solutions, Inc.
- Boyd Corporation
- CUI Devices
- Infineon Technologies AG
- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- Himalay Engineering Co.
Global Pin Fin Heat Sink for IGBT Market: Research Scope
Global Pin Fin Heat Sink for IGBT Market, by Material Type
Global Pin Fin Heat Sink for IGBT Market, by Application
- Consumer Electronics
- Automotive Field
Global Pin Fin Heat Sink for IGBT Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!