Phthalonitrile Resin: Introduction
- Phthalonitrile resin possesses beneficial properties such as outstanding thermal-oxidative stability, excellent mechanical properties, low water absorption, and superior flame resistance. This makes phthalonitrile resin ideal for usage in various advanced technological applications such as electrical conductors, adhesives, composite matrices, and carbon precursors.
- Phthalonitrile resins are ideal substitutes for high temperature polyimides that can provide high glass transition temperature and ease in property tailoring through molecular design without the evolved volatiles and complex cure cycles of polyimides
- Phthalonitrile resin exhibits superior physical properties relative to other high-temperature polymers such as polyimides, BMIs, and cyanate esters
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Production Process of Phthalonitrile Resin
- Phthalonitrile resin is synthesized by nitro displacement of nitro-phthalonitrile with phenoxyphenol in the presence of a base. The above reaction is carried out in solvents such as Dimethylformamide (DMF) to control the temperature of the reaction.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports, Ask for a Sample
Key Drivers of Phthalonitrile Resin Market
- Phthalonitrile resin can withstand extreme heat of 3000°F when used in ceramic and metal matrix composites. It can resist tough environmental conditions and can handle moderate to high temperatures.
- Polymer resins such as phthalonitrile resins are preferred by aircraft manufacturers owing to their light weight as compared to more brittle ceramics and metals. Phthalonitrile resins have superior ability to resist fire, smoke, and toxicity. This makes them ideal for usage in aircraft and automobile interiors. The aerospace & defense sector accounts for major share of phthalonitrile resins market.
- High temperature thermoset polymer materials such as phthalonitrile resins are often used in adhesive coatings systems and matrix resins for aerospace and defense space applications. Boeing and Airbus are the only two aircraft manufacturers that employ phthalonitrile resins in the production of adhesives, coatings systems, and matrix resins for aerospace, defense, and space composite sectors in wing and fuselage skins, engines, and landing gear. Boeing, a U.S.-based aerospace company, delivered a record number of commercial jets in 2018, reaching 806 planes in the year compared to the previous record of 763 in 2017. Airbus, another key player, achieved 800 commercial jet deliveries in 2018 compared to 718 in 2017. Despite the slowdown in demand caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, this figure is estimated to increase in the first quarter of 2021, when global restriction on international air travel eases. This, in turn, is estimated to boost the demand for phthalonitrile resin in the near future.
- High demand for lightweight and thermal resistant parts in the automobile industry has given an advantage to phthalonitrile resins owing to its better properties and reduced curing time. Many premium sports car brand such as Automobili Lamborghini Spa., Porsche AG, and Ferrari use high temperature composite resins such as phthalonitrile resins in engines and other automotive parts to control high temperature. Increase in demand for luxury cars and rise in disposable incomes of consumers are likely to boost the phthalonitrile resin market in the near future.
- Demand for phthalonitrile resin is also high in military applications. For instance, fifth generation aircraft such as Lockheed Martin’s F-35 are designed to operate in temperatures in the range of 600°F to 1000°F. Nearly 35% of the entire F-35 aircraft is made out of composites, while 50% is made out of phthalonitrile resins. Demand for phthalonitrile resins in military aircraft is expected to rise during the forecast period due to growth in defense budgets in countries such as Germany, Russia, China, India, South Korea, and Saudi Arabia. Thus, increase in defense budget across the globe is estimated to bolster the phthalonitrile resin market in the next few years.
Key Restraints of Phthalonitrile Resin Market
- Manufacture of phthalonitrile resins requires high capital, as machinery and tools required for its manufacturing are capital intensive. This results in high priced end products. Phthalonitrile resin is only used in high-end applications such as aerospace & defense and transportation (high-end luxury and sports cars), where outstanding properties are required. High cost of phthalonitrile resin as well as handling and processing issues are the major factors hampering the market.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
Key manufacturers operating in the global phthalonitrile resin market include:
- Azista Industries
- Omkrown Pharma Chem Pvt Ltd.
- Toray Advanced Composites
- Renegade Materials Corporation
- Solvay S.A
- Hexcel Corporation
- Lonza Group
- TenCate Advanced Composites.
- Chengjie Chemical Co., Ltd
- Ming Tai Prosperity Chemical Co., Ltd
Global Phthalonitrile resin Market: Research Scope
Global Phthalonitrile resin Market, by Application
- Aerospace & Defense
- High Temperature Adhesives and Coatings
- Electronic Packaging Resins
- Fire-resistant Garments
- Building Materials
- Others (Valves, Seals, Bushings, Bearings and Wind Blade Components, etc.)
Global Phthalonitrile resin Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.