Phthalonitrile Resin: Introduction
- Phthalonitrile resin possesses beneficial properties such as outstanding thermal-oxidative stability, excellent mechanical properties, low water absorption, and superior flame resistance. This makes phthalonitrile resin ideal for usage in various advanced technological applications such as electrical conductors, adhesives, composite matrices, and carbon precursors.
- Phthalonitrile resins are ideal substitutes for high temperature polyimides that can provide high glass transition temperature and ease in property tailoring through molecular design without the evolved volatiles and complex cure cycles of polyimides
- Phthalonitrile resin exhibits superior physical properties relative to other high-temperature polymers such as polyimides, BMIs, and cyanate esters
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Production Process of Phthalonitrile Resin
- Phthalonitrile resin is synthesized by nitro displacement of nitro-phthalonitrile with phenoxyphenol in the presence of a base. The above reaction is carried out in solvents such as Dimethylformamide (DMF) to control the temperature of the reaction.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports, Ask for a Sample
Key Drivers of Phthalonitrile Resin Market
- Phthalonitrile resin can withstand extreme heat of 3000°F when used in ceramic and metal matrix composites. It can resist tough environmental conditions and can handle moderate to high temperatures.
- Polymer resins such as phthalonitrile resins are preferred by aircraft manufacturers owing to their light weight as compared to more brittle ceramics and metals. Phthalonitrile resins have superior ability to resist fire, smoke, and toxicity. This makes them ideal for usage in aircraft and automobile interiors. The aerospace & defense sector accounts for major share of phthalonitrile resins market.
- High temperature thermoset polymer materials such as phthalonitrile resins are often used in adhesive coatings systems and matrix resins for aerospace and defense space applications. Boeing and Airbus are the only two aircraft manufacturers that employ phthalonitrile resins in the production of adhesives, coatings systems, and matrix resins for aerospace, defense, and space composite sectors in wing and fuselage skins, engines, and landing gear. Boeing, a U.S.-based aerospace company, delivered a record number of commercial jets in 2018, reaching 806 planes in the year compared to the previous record of 763 in 2017. Airbus, another key player, achieved 800 commercial jet deliveries in 2018 compared to 718 in 2017. Despite the slowdown in demand caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, this figure is estimated to increase in the first quarter of 2021, when global restriction on international air travel eases. This, in turn, is estimated to boost the demand for phthalonitrile resin in the near future.
- High demand for lightweight and thermal resistant parts in the automobile industry has given an advantage to phthalonitrile resins owing to its better properties and reduced curing time. Many premium sports car brand such as Automobili Lamborghini Spa., Porsche AG, and Ferrari use high temperature composite resins such as phthalonitrile resins in engines and other automotive parts to control high temperature. Increase in demand for luxury cars and rise in disposable incomes of consumers are likely to boost the phthalonitrile resin market in the near future.
- Demand for phthalonitrile resin is also high in military applications. For instance, fifth generation aircraft such as Lockheed Martin’s F-35 are designed to operate in temperatures in the range of 600°F to 1000°F. Nearly 35% of the entire F-35 aircraft is made out of composites, while 50% is made out of phthalonitrile resins. Demand for phthalonitrile resins in military aircraft is expected to rise during the forecast period due to growth in defense budgets in countries such as Germany, Russia, China, India, South Korea, and Saudi Arabia. Thus, increase in defense budget across the globe is estimated to bolster the phthalonitrile resin market in the next few years.
Key Restraints of Phthalonitrile Resin Market
- Manufacture of phthalonitrile resins requires high capital, as machinery and tools required for its manufacturing are capital intensive. This results in high priced end products. Phthalonitrile resin is only used in high-end applications such as aerospace & defense and transportation (high-end luxury and sports cars), where outstanding properties are required. High cost of phthalonitrile resin as well as handling and processing issues are the major factors hampering the market.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
Key manufacturers operating in the global phthalonitrile resin market include:
- Azista Industries
- Omkrown Pharma Chem Pvt Ltd.
- Toray Advanced Composites
- Renegade Materials Corporation
- Solvay S.A
- Hexcel Corporation
- Lonza Group
- TenCate Advanced Composites.
- Chengjie Chemical Co., Ltd
- Ming Tai Prosperity Chemical Co., Ltd
Global Phthalonitrile resin Market: Research Scope
Global Phthalonitrile resin Market, by Application
- Aerospace & Defense
- High Temperature Adhesives and Coatings
- Electronic Packaging Resins
- Fire-resistant Garments
- Building Materials
- Others (Valves, Seals, Bushings, Bearings and Wind Blade Components, etc.)
Global Phthalonitrile resin Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.